Is 2.0 engine adequate in Nautilus?

6 minutes ago, Ralph Greene said:

Wife is interested in a new Lincoln Nautilus. Don't live in mountains or haul heavy loads. Our 2012 3.5 Limited Edge is now 9 years old. Getting about that time to let it go. 2.0 engine seems to be in about everything. Don't want or need AWD that comes with 2.7 in Nautilus. Would love 2.7 in RWD only. Thanks

You don’t want the 2.7 with fwd - too much torque steer.  And RWD nautilus doesn’t exist.

if you’re happy with the 3.5 then the 2.0 ecoboost will be fine.  It has more torque off the line but less power at high rpm.  Definitely take a test drive though.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Ralph Greene said:

Thanks....We think the 3.5 in our Edge is about the right power for our use and for being in a car. Wife never uses the top half of the tach anyway. 

I hear you.  If I do get on the gas mine thinks it’s going to explode.  I try to explain it’s actually good for it.

Test drive the 2.7 just for grins. 

1 hour ago, Ralph Greene said:

Is there much extra regular maintenance with AWD? Live in Florida. Never needed AWD. 

It’s recommended to change the PTU fluid every couple of years but this is a new PTU and hopefully won’t have as many problems as the older ones.

Thats it.

Both configurations are fine. 2.0 FWD will save some money and it drives just fine. A little torque steer but not much. The 2.7 AWD handles better and has no torque steer along with having more power on acceleration or passing. OTOH, you can feel the extra weight from the larger engine and AWD system. I prefer the 2.7 AWD (that's what I got), but I had the 2.0 as a loaner and it was fine for around town driving. Both engines are quite reliable, as is the Nautilus itself.

Edited by Gurgeh
  • Like 6

On 12/12/2020 at 6:40 PM, Gurgeh said:

Both configurations are fine. 2.0 FWD will save some money and it drives just fine. A little torque steer but not much. The 2.7 AWD handles better and has no torque steer along with having more power on acceleration or passing. OTOH, you can feel the extra weight from the larger engine and AWD system. I prefer the 2.7 AWD (that's what I got), but I had the 2.0 as a loaner and it was fine for around town driving. Both engines are quite reliable, as is the Nautilus itself.

I have the 2.0 in my 2019 Nautilus AWD , the power is very good , fuel economy is excellent as well. I have had the 2.7 in my previous 2016 MKX . I prefer the 2.7 in that it seems more refined. The 2.0 sounds like a 4 cylinder. In fact I am going to be ordering a 2021 Nautilus in the coming weeks, seriously considering getting the 6 cylinder, just smoother and a bit more refined, it is what Lincoln should be. 

• Like 2

Hi Ralph, I have a 2019 with the 2L engine. My experience with it has been excellent. More than enough power for daily driving, great gas milage especially on the highway.

The transmission is seamless. I've driven the 2.7 and feel there is a lot of wasted potential there because it is a very quick combination and all that potential is wasted in a mid size SUV. I say if you want a sports car get a sports car! 

I rented a full size trailer (four wheels) to move some furniture last weekend, loaded it up fully with some heavy stuff and my vehicle didn't miss a beat. It didn't feel like I was pulling anything. 

On the bad side I've had a lot of issues with my 2019 that Ford has hopefully fixed for the 2021 model year, mostly poor build quality stuff from the factory.

Good luck.

2 hours ago, Gary Olson said:

Hi Ralph, I have a 2019 with the 2L engine. My experience with it has been excellent. More than enough power for daily driving, great gas milage especially on the highway.

The transmission is seamless. I've driven the 2.7 and feel there is a lot of wasted potential there because it is a very quick combination and all that potential is wasted in a mid size SUV. I say if you want a sports car get a sports car! 

I rented a full size trailer (four wheels) to move some furniture last weekend, loaded it up fully with some heavy stuff and my vehicle didn't miss a beat. It didn't feel like I was pulling anything. 

On the bad side I've had a lot of issues with my 2019 that Ford has hopefully fixed for the 2021 model year, mostly poor build quality stuff from the factory.

Good luck.

I agree with everything that Gary has said about the 2.0 L engine.  Agree the 2.7 is very quick, it is also a much smoother engine though.  If it was a Ford Edge I would say the 2.0 is perfect as it fits Ford perfectly. Almost but not quite for a Lincoln.  When was Your 2019 Nautilus built?  As mine is a late March build and it has been Bullitt proof. 

My opinion (and I get it about "opinions") is that the Nautilus should have something bigger like maybe the 2.3 as the base engine, if for nothing else than to differentiate it from the Edge, performance-wise.   The (former) MKX came with the 3.7na engine while the Edge came with the 3.5 na, not that there was a huge difference in performance but it gave you something additional when stepping up to the Lincoln.  The 2.0 is probably  better matched to the Escape/Corsair and considering that the 2.3 is an upgrade in the Corsair, it has the flexibility of being offered in different platforms.  

Now getting back to AWD, when you wear out or incur damage to less than a complete set of tires, you are more-or-less coerced into buying a set of four as the Ford/Lincoln dealers and most of the bigger tire chains (Discount etc.) will insist upon it.  We were considering a Nautilus, but ruled it out as a potential future orphan and because we neither want nor need AWD, but would appreciate more performance than the 2.0 w/o the AWD requirement.

16 minutes ago, Going_Going_Gone said:

My opinion (and I get it about "opinions") is that the Nautilus should have something bigger like maybe the 2.3 as the base engine, if for nothing else than to differentiate it from the Edge, performance-wise.   The (former) MKX came with the 3.7na engine while the Edge came with the 3.5 na, not that there was a huge difference in performance but it gave you something additional when stepping up to the Lincoln.  The 2.0 is probably  better matched to the Escape/Corsair and considering that the 2.3 is an upgrade in the Corsair, it has the flexibility of being offered in different platforms.  

Now getting back to AWD, when you wear out or incur damage to less than a complete set of tires, you are more-or-less coerced into buying a set of four as the Ford/Lincoln dealers and most of the bigger tire chains (Discount etc.) will insist upon it.  We were considering a Nautilus, but ruled it out as a potential future orphan and because we neither want nor need AWD, but would appreciate more performance than the 2.0 w/o the AWD requirement.

I agree.  It was disappointing that edge and Nautilus kept the same engines even they are perfectly fine engines.  I’m sure it was cost cutting and/or supply issues on the 2.3L.

I still expect to see the 2.3L in a special edition Bronco sport.

My only beef , if I may put it that way is that the 2.0 still sounds like a 4 cylinder, the performance aspect of it is more than adequate. If the 2.3 is smoother than the 2.0 than that should be the base . I am very seriously contemplating getting the 2.7 when I order my 2021, so it will feel like a Lincoln should Hushed sanctuary as their new tagline states.  

2 hours ago, Gary Olson said:

I took delivery in February. I've had so many issues Lincoln threw in free maintenance for 100K or 4 years. 

Earlier built 2019s had many issues . I did not order mine till Christmas week 2018, it was given a serial number end of January 2019 and built on March 23rd , according to the build sheet. I took delivery first week of April . 

18 minutes ago, escapeman said:

My only beef , if I may put it that way is that the 2.0 still sounds like a 4 cylinder, the performance aspect of it is more than adequate. If the 2.3 is smoother than the 2.0 than that should be the base . I am very seriously contemplating getting the 2.7 when I order my 2021, so it will feel like a Lincoln should Hushed sanctuary as their new tagline states.  

I don’t see how the 2.3L would feel any different than the 2.0L.  Just a bit more power.

If they were serious about Nautilus long term I think it would have gotten the 2.3 base and 3.0 optional.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 92merc said:

It is odd you can get the 2.3EB in the Corsair, but not the Nauti...

2.3 EB is the optional engine in Corsair. You can get the 2.7 in Nautilus if you want more power. It's not that odd.

If the OP never uses the upper rpm range of the 3.5 V6, I think he will find that 2.0 EcoBoost is actually much better engine for the way he uses the car. 

4 minutes ago, bzcat said:

2.3 EB is the optional engine in Corsair. You can get the 2.7 in Nautilus if you want more power. It's not that odd.

Ok, then it’s odd that the Corsair and Nautilus both have the same standard engine (2.0).

2.3 / 2.7 makes more sense for Nautilus but I’m sure it was a cost cutting decision not to offer the 2.3L.

• 2 weeks later...

The 2.0 is smoother than the 2.3 from my dealings with both. My 2.3 in my 2019 Ranger is not that smooth sometimes. The Corsair I drove with the 2.3 at idle was rough and 2.0 was smooth all around and I liked it more than the 2.3.  The Bigger displacement 4's will be rough around the edges at time just because its hard to refine the bigger 4 cylinders. The 2.7 is the way to go in the Nautilus it fits the Lincoln better, much smoother in its power delivery. Fords V6 are just smooth and do well and you can tell Ford spent extra time to make them smooth runners. If the Ranger had the 2.7 that's what I would have bought, the 2.3 is just too 4 cylinder like in sound and feel. Plus the 2.7 is rated better on the highway then the 2.0 in the Nautilus.

Thanks for everyone's replies. My wife likes 2 row SUV's with comfortable and roomy back seats....that's where she usually rides on trips. That's mostly what she likes about her Limited Edge. With it's smooth 3.5 V6. That and the fact her 2012 Edge had been a terrific vehicle, and the only thing that went wrong in 9 years to the day is the module that controls the NAV and dash went out at year 6 ($1000). Even the original tires lasted 60,000 miles. Now it's getting close to time to replace it. I've already decided I'm not paying $50,000 (or so) to buy a vehicle with a 4 cylinder engine. Would rather keep 1000 shares of a $50 stock than do that. The car loses half it's value in 3-4 years, and other might go up. However....she still wants me to buy her a real nice car.....So I guess I'm back to a new top of the line Edge....which has a nice comfortable interior, or Honda Passport...which also has a roomy second row...and which has a nice smooth 3.5 SOHC V6. And it's also a nice vehicle. But like many of you, I've been mostly loyal to Ford for many years. Decisions, decisions, .....Fortunately....I can do whatever she likes. 

Edited by Ralph Greene
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ralph Greene said:

Thanks for everyone's replies. My wife likes 2 row SUV's with comfortable and roomy back seats....that's where she usually rides on trips. That's mostly what she likes about her Limited Edge. With it's smooth 3.5 V6. That and the fact her 2012 Edge had been a terrific vehicle, and the only thing that went wrong in 9 years to the day is the module that controls the NAV and dash went out at year 6 ($1000). Even the original tires lasted 60,000 miles. Now it's getting close to time to replace it. I've already decided I'm not paying $50,000 (or so) to buy a vehicle with a 4 cylinder engine. Would rather keep 1000 shares of a $50 stock than do that. The car loses half it's value in 3-4 years, and other might go up. However....she still wants me to buy her a real nice car.....So I guess I'm back to a new top of the line Edge....which has a nice comfortable interior, or Honda Passport...which also has a roomy second row...and which has a nice smooth 3.5 SOHC V6. And it's also a nice vehicle. But like many of you, I've been mostly loyal to Ford for many years. Decisions, decisions, .....Fortunately....I can do whatever she likes. 

But that 4 cylinder engine performs better than the old 3.5.

3 hours ago, Ralph Greene said:

This is why when I sit down with my sales manager in a few weeks to order my 2021,  I am going to order the 6 cylinder as opposed to the 2.0 that I have in my 2019. The 2.0 is a nice engine, I just do not feel that it should be in the Nautilus. It is fine for the Corsair.  My 2016 MKX had the 3.5 and it was smoother and had a nice sound to it. The 2.0 still sounds like a 4 pot. 

As an aside here the Toronto Star did a right up this weekend on the 2021 Corsair with the 2.0 , and he said it was one of the finest driving cars for a compact/midsize SUV. In fact he said the 2.3 was a rougher running engine than the 2.0 due to the inherent trait of a bigger displacement 4 cyl.