2017 Focus Transmission/Warranty question

frostyisgod

Hello,

As we all know the transmission on these cars are not good (I've had to get mine recently changed the clutch and TCM at 54,000KM with the car at 57,000KM now) Being in Canada I have been offered the extended warranty ( 7 year aka 4 more years left and 150KM aka 100KM left) for $2,600 plus tax Canadian. ($2,100 approx USD). It's the cheapest I've found.There is also a $100 deductible that would be payed for every warranty claim

I'm not sure if that's worth it or not since I'm pretty sure the TCM and clutch etc is probably going to go again (I believe it's about $1,700 or so from what they last did with the clutch, TCM change). Should I bother with the extended Ford warranty or just leave it alone and go about fixing it myself out of pocket when (not if as we all know) it happens again? Looking to keep the car as long as I can.

That's of course provided it's the same kind of replacement that is needed and not a whole new transmission. Any feedback/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Edited by frostyisgod

45 minutes ago, frostyisgod said:

Hello,

As we all know the transmission on these cars are not good (I've had to get mine recently changed the clutch and TCM at 54,000KM with the car at 57,000KM now) Being in Canada I have been offered the extended warranty ( 7 year aka 4 more years left and 150KM aka 100KM left) for $2,600 plus tax Canadian. ($2,100 approx USD). It's the cheapest I've found.There is also a $100 deductible that would be payed for every warranty claim

I'm not sure if that's worth it or not since I'm pretty sure the TCM and clutch etc is probably going to go again (I believe it's about $1,700 or so from what they last did with the clutch, TCM change). Should I bother with the extended Ford warranty or just leave it alone and go about fixing it myself out of pocket when (not if as we all know) it happens again? Looking to keep the car as long as I can.

That's of course provided it's the same kind of replacement that is needed and not a whole new transmission. Any feedback/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Once in a VERY great while they will suffer an internal issue (almost always a worn syncro, broken drum stop or input shaft bearing), but clutches, TCM and actuator levers are most common. Being a 17, It is most likely not covered by 14M02, which covers the TCM to 10 years or 150,000 miles. If you were in the states, it would still be covered by EMISSIONS warranty for 8/80,000 but not sure about Canada. 

Shudder is annoying, but that is it, annoying. Complete clutch failures (no vehicle movement) are scarce, and almost always caused by contaminant like oil, coolant, water getting into the clutch housing and damaging the levers.

Edited by YT90SC

On 12/12/2020 at 6:16 PM, akirby said:

Why would you spend $2600 now to avoid a possible $1700 repair in a few years?  Keep that in your pocket.

My thinking was that since the warranty covers pretty much everything at least I'd have that going for it as well in case anything else happens to go (motor mounts have been changed to) aside from the transmission. But that's still assuming the repair that I just had is still the same (shuddering so they replaced the TCM and clutch).

Even though it does cover everything else I'm still on the fence haha. But I do get what you mean.

Edited by frostyisgod

On 12/12/2020 at 6:23 PM, YT90SC said:

Once in a VERY great while they will suffer an internal issue (almost always a worn syncro, broken drum stop or input shaft bearing), but clutches, TCM and actuator levers are most common. Being a 17, It is most likely not covered by 14M02, which covers the TCM to 10 years or 150,000 miles. If you were in the states, it would still be covered by EMISSIONS warranty for 8/80,000 but not sure about Canada. 

Shudder is annoying, but that is it, annoying. Complete clutch failures (no vehicle movement) are scarce, and almost always caused by contaminant like oil, coolant, water getting into the clutch housing and damaging the levers.

Thanks for the info, and yes being in Canada and a 17 it is not covered under that warranty that the USA has. Wouldn't the shuddering then lead a new clutch or worse (no vehicle movement) if not fixed? At least with the warranty I'd be covered in case the oil, water etc gets to the clutch and stuff but not sure if it's worth that much or to do on my own when it happens again (since I have a feeling it will with these cars)

I'm still on the fence and not sure as with the warranty everything will be covered in case there are other things that go wrong aside from the clutch. But then again that's still be cheaper with my own mechanic then Fords.

So you think I should not bother with it?

Thanks for your input

1 hour ago, frostyisgod said:

My thinking was that since the warranty covers pretty much everything at least I'd have that going for it as well in case anything else happens to go (motor mounts have been changed to) aside from the transmission. But that's still assuming the repair that I just had is still the same (shuddering so they replaced the TCM and clutch).

Even though it does cover everything else I'm still on the fence haha. But I do get what you mean.

I get it.  I just hate spending that much money for something I may never use, and the odds are always in Ford's favor on these things.  It comes down to whether you can afford to pay for a repair or not.   If you can't afford a big repair bill down the road then I recommend financing the ESP with the vehicle so you're only paying a little per month.   But if you're talking about plunking down $2600 cash then you can probably afford to pay a few thousand for an unexpected repair and in the long run you should come out ahead.   I've been a little lucky but I've kept multiple vehicles for at least 2 years past the factory warranty and it's only cost me a few hundred in repairs but I've probably saved $10K or more.  Even if I have to spend $4K next month I'm still $6K ahead.

4 hours ago, akirby said:

Also be aware the ESP doesn't cover everything the bumper to bumper warranty covers.  There are many exclusions.  Read the fine print. 

You might also consider a powertrain only ESP - a lot cheaper. 

Ya I've read what it doesn't cover and I'm not sure if it's different in Canada then USA but it's pretty much everything minus carpets, oil changes, bumpers etc, says 1000+ items.

The only thing with just the power train warranty one is it doesn't cover everything just the clutch pretty much and internal parts not TCM etc and of course I'd have to pay the diff

4 hours ago, akirby said:

I get it.  I just hate spending that much money for something I may never use, and the odds are always in Ford's favor on these things.  It comes down to whether you can afford to pay for a repair or not.   If you can't afford a big repair bill down the road then I recommend financing the ESP with the vehicle so you're only paying a little per month.   But if you're talking about plunking down $2600 cash then you can probably afford to pay a few thousand for an unexpected repair and in the long run you should come out ahead.   I've been a little lucky but I've kept multiple vehicles for at least 2 years past the factory warranty and it's only cost me a few hundred in repairs but I've probably saved $10K or more.  Even if I have to spend $4K next month I'm still $6K ahead.

Ya agreed I hate spending that much upfront for something that I may not use (but I think will with how these transmissions are unless you can let me know otherwise?)

I have saved up this amount knowing that I'd might need it before the warranty ends. So it would take me quite a long time to save up another $2,600 if another repair gets that expensive hence why I am leaning towards getting it (but then yes I can continue saving and I might use it for $2000 for a trans or might not, or might for other things etc)

8 minutes ago, frostyisgod said:

Ya I've read what it doesn't cover and I'm not sure if it's different in Canada then USA but it's pretty much everything minus carpets, oil changes, bumpers etc, says 1000+ items.

The only thing with just the power train warranty one is it doesn't cover everything just the clutch pretty much and internal parts not TCM etc and of course I'd have to pay the diff

As an example, it doesn’t cover glass.  A few Edge owners found out the hard way when their BAMR bit the dust and wasn’t covered,

1 hour ago, akirby said:

As an example, it doesn’t cover glass.  A few Edge owners found out the hard way when their BAMR bit the dust and wasn’t covered,

Im not sure about a BAMR but in most cases your auto insurance will cover glass if you have coverage for it. Every car I've ever owned with exception of my Fusion has needed replacement glass at some point. Yes, even the Flex (which hasn't been done yet out of my own laziness) 

36 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Im not sure about a BAMR but in most cases your auto insurance will cover glass if you have coverage for it. Every car I've ever owned with exception of my Fusion has needed replacement glass at some point. Yes, even the Flex (which hasn't been done yet out of my own laziness) 

True but I think it’s the entire roof mechanism that isn’t covered including the motor but I don’t remember for sure.  There are other things as well.

Not covered by Premiumcare ESP:

The Ford Protect PremiumCARE extended service plan is so comprehensive, it’s easier to refer you to what isn’t covered – here are some examples:
Generally Covered by Your Auto Insurance –
Repairs Related to Your Maintenance Requirements – Items listed in your vehicle’s owner guide. Examples include: batteries of all types and cables, belts, hoses, hose clamps, brakes (front hub, drums, shoes, linings, disc rotors, pads), manual transmission clutch disc, exhaust system (includes catalytic converter), spark plugs, squeaks, rattles, tires, wheel balancing, wheel alignment, all lamps and lights (LED and HID lights, bulbs, sealed beam and lenses) except when purchased with New or Incomplete PremiumCARE Interior/Exterior Lighting Option, fogging of lamp assemblies, shock absorbers, service adjustments and cleaning, and scheduled maintenance services.

Other Components and Repairs – Fabric, liners, fasteners, carpets, dash pad, wiper blades, knobs, trim, upholstery, physical damage or cosmetic issues, repairs covered by manufacturer recalls, any insurance or if the vehicle is within the time and mileage limits of any warranty, repairs caused by improper unreasonable use, unauthorized alterations or modifications of the vehicle, and repairs caused by lack of required or recommended maintenance. Costs or expenses for the teardown, rental expense, inspection or diagnosis of failures not covered by this Agreement. Refer to contract for details.
Examples include: fixed (non-moving) body parts, bumpers, glass, moldings, ornamentation, paint, rust, sheet metal, structural underbody framework, side and rearview mirrors (glass and housing), water leaks, wind noise, weather strips, wheels, wheel studs, wheel covers, convertible top and bow.

• Like 1