2021 Bronco Sport Media Reports

ice-capades

16 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

I'm a JoUrNaLiSm

God I hate the Detroit Free Press. 

Does Josh know it was assembled in Mexico?

I always try and buy domestic," Duhamel said. "The American car is always going to be sort of the standard. For me, I like to buy American. 

Also, definite upgrade from Fergie.

50 minutes ago, akirby said:

Does Josh know it was assembled in Mexico?

Maybe, maybe not. But that doesn't matter as Bronco Sport was designed and engineered in the U.S. by a U.S. based company, which is what makes the vehicle "American". Josh can confidently claim he and Audra "bought American" with their Bronco Sport.

3 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

Maybe, maybe not. But that doesn't matter as Bronco Sport was designed and engineered in the U.S. by a U.S. based company, which is what makes the vehicle "American". Josh can confidently claim he and Audra "bought American" with their Bronco Sport.

No. If the VIN begins with anything but a 1 or a 5, it is not American, just like if it was designed and engineered anywhere else and the money goes back to a headquarters anywhere but America it is not American. This is a hill I will die on. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

No. If the VIN begins with anything but a 1 or a 5, it is not American, just like if it was designed and engineered anywhere else and the money goes back to a headquarters anywhere but America it is not American. This is a hill I will die on. 

We'll agree to disagree on this.

19 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

That’s your opinion not fact.  I personally don’t care either way but it’s disingenuous to call it American if it’s assembled in Mexico.  North American would have been more correct.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

6 minutes ago, akirby said:

That’s your opinion not fact.  I personally don’t care either way but it’s disingenuous to call it American if it’s assembled in Mexico.  North American would have been more correct.

Do we also feel the same way about vehicles assembled in Canada?  Seems like this sentiment is always more toward our southern neighbors than our northern ones.

HRG

4 minutes ago, HotRunrGuy said:

Do we also feel the same way about vehicles assembled in Canada? 

Ford products that are designed and engineered in the U.S. and assembled in Canada or Mexico are effectively "American", as the assembly plants that Ford operates in those 2 countries largely follow U.S. standards.

18 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

Ford products that are designed and engineered in the U.S. and assembled in Canada or Mexico are effectively "American", as the assembly plants that Ford operates in those 2 countries largely follow U.S. standards.

Pretty sure the C2 modular platform, which underpins the Bronco Sport, was not just designed and engineered in the U.S., but also with input from Ford of Europe.  Probably China too.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, mackinaw said:

Pretty sure the C2 modular platform, which underpins the Bronco Sport, was not just designed and engineered in the U.S., but also with input from Ford of Europe.  Probably China too.

Good points mackinaw sir, with a global company like Ford there is going to be collaboration among teams all over the world on any new vehicle project. But the primary design and engineering responsibilities for Bronco Sport were assigned to Ford's U.S. based teams.

58 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

Good points mackinaw sir, with a global company like Ford there is going to be collaboration among teams all over the world on any new vehicle project. But the primary design and engineering responsibilities for Bronco Sport were assigned to Ford's U.S. based teams.

I'm not even sure that is right.  Ford started "EPLM's" (enterprise vehicle line management) in 2018.  There are ten teams covering everything from "family utilities," to ""rugged utilities," to "compact trucks."  Some are US-centric (F-series), most others are global.  Good chance the Bronco Sport had global input.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, HotRunrGuy said:

Do we also feel the same way about vehicles assembled in Canada?  Seems like this sentiment is always more toward our southern neighbors than our northern ones.

HRG

I do, but not to the same degree. UNIFOR as a Union has backbone enough to stand up for their workers and fight for good pay/benefits. That's more than I can say for the so called unions (some would say mafias) down in Mexico. I feel much better about buying a vehicle made in Canada than I do Mexico. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, mackinaw said:

Ford started "EPLM's" (enterprise vehicle line management) in 2018.  There are ten teams covering everything from "family utilities," to ""rugged utilities," to "compact trucks."  Some are US-centric (F-series), most others are global.  Good chance the Bronco Sport had global input.

Thank you for that info mackinaw sir. Would Bronco Sport be considered part of the "rugged utility" team in the Ford EPLM program? Geographically, what regions are most involved on the "rugged utility" team?

2 hours ago, HotRunrGuy said:

Absolutely if you’re being technical about it.  Of course most people are more biased against Mexico because of the lower standard of living.  

Doesn’t matter to me because Ford builds more vehicles in the US than anyone else, so building a few in Mexico and Canada is smart business especially considering export rules.

2 hours ago, rperez817 said:

No sir. Bronco Sport's DNA is American, nothing disingenuous at all about calling it an American product. 

If it was built in China and imported you’d say the same thing?

Of course it’s an American design but I don’t think you can call it an American vehicle if it’s not assembled in the US.  

It would be proper to call it North American designed and built, which is perfectly fine and accurate.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

I do, but not to the same degree. UNIFOR as a Union has backbone enough to stand up for their workers and fight for good pay/benefits. That's more than I can say for the so called unions (some would say mafias) down in Mexico. I feel much better about buying a vehicle made in Canada than I do Mexico. 

But you have to take into account their pay against their standard of living not ours.  I know some will be making $16/hr thanks to the new trade agreement,  

2 minutes ago, akirby said:

If it was built in China and imported you’d say the same thing?

Of course it’s an American design but I don’t think you can call it an American vehicle if it’s not assembled in the US.  

It would be proper to call it North American designed and built, which is perfectly fine and accurate.

Yes sir akirby, a U.S. spec Bronco Sport assembled at a Changan Ford plant in China would still be "American" to me because the assembly location has minimal impact on the DNA of the product, which is distinctly American.

I agree that "North American designed and built" is a great description for Bronco Sport. Plus, Ford de Mexico and Ford Canada have been around for so long (1925 for Mexico, 1904 for Canada) and have been so tightly integrated with Ford's U.S. operations that there's very little distinction for consumers of a Ford vehicle assembled in any of those 3 countries.

33 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Who raised the standard of living in the US/Canada? It was in large part due to the labor unions. 

Yes sir fuzzymoomoo. Same is true for Mexico, the Mexican Revolution in the early 20th century resulted in a constitutional provision allowing workers to organize, 8 hour workday, living wage, etc.

• Angry 1