Mustang Mach E Embargo Lifts

19 hours ago, danglin said:

The Gauge Screen is my biggest gripe. I do not like it at all...

At least it has one, unlike the Y.

18 hours ago, JTL2017 said:

Why does the What Car video compare the MME to the Audi E-Tron and Jaguar I-pace? Even in the U.K, they're significantly more expensive than the MME. 

Because Electric.

17 hours ago, atomcat68 said:

You can remove it. There is a pop out tab that reveals the screws to take it out. I don't see why you'd need to as you can use the back for large things. 

Interesting note, you can use it as an ice cooler and it has a drain plug to empty water when it melts!

But if the back is full, and you need the entire space up front, then you have this divider?  At least it's not permanent.  I wonder if it's standard or optional?  I like the ice cooler idea.

36 minutes ago, Trader 10 said:

No matter where they’re built, Toyotas, Hondas, Subarus, etc. are not American and never will be. Most are designed and engineered  in Japan. Those that claim they’re somehow “American” are deluding themselves.

That’s a somewhat myopic view.  You need to look at the number of US jobs created by not only manufacturing but design and engineering and dealerships.  Some have a lot of US based design and engineering.  Likewise Ford has a lot of non US employees.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Chrisgb said:

It still grates on my curmudgeon nerve that they named the electric car a Mustang. For me, the Mustang holds a special place in car culture.

In due time, all next generation Ford Mustangs will be electric cars. Mustang Mach-E enhances Mustang's special place in car culture. Along with BEV F-150, Mustang Mach-E is the most important product that Ford has introduced thus far in the 21st century.

Edited by rperez817
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Kev-Mo said:

Ford should spin Mexico and Canada assembly like Toyota does and tag the vehicles:  Assembled in North America by Ford Motor Company.

A better tag for Mustang Mach-E specifically would be "Designed and engineered in Michigan, assembled in Cuautitlán Izcalli by Ford Motor Company"

I don't know the reason why Ford moved MACH E production from Flat Rock to Mexico but the US Govt's failure to complete TTIP (the free trade agreement between US and EU) negotiation with EU probably had something to do with it. If TTIP had come into effect, US vehicle exports to EU would have been free of the 10% tariff, which Mexico and Canada already enjoys with their respective free trade agreement with EU.

The Obama Admin had reached basic agreement with EU vehicle trades under TTIP. The terms basically mirrored the free trade agreement US negotiated with Korea and Australia during the Obama Admin - US will exempt EU trucks from 25% Chicken Tax and EU will exempt all US vehicles from 10% general tariff. Additionally, both sides had agreed in principle that vehicles meeting FMVSS would not need further safety modifications to be sold in EU and vice versa. What was remaining were administrative details on how vehicles compliant on each side would be granted waivers. There were other areas of trade that still had to be negotiated (farming and farmer subsidy was the big one) but there was general expectation that TTIP would have been concluded had Hilary Clinton won the election. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, T-dubz said:

One of their complaints in this review was that your knees seem to hit the bottom corners of the screen. They could be over exaggerating, but that would really suck if it were the case.

I don’t think they’re exaggerating at all. That is a huge oversight and needs to be fixed ASAP.  

I actually really liked their review.  They found a few things that are wrong and need to be fixed, they don’t really buy the whole using the Mustang name marketing tactic, but outside of that they really liked it and pointed out many areas where it’s leaps and bounds above Tesla (but then so is a shopping cart).  

45 minutes ago, Trader 10 said:

No matter where they’re built, Toyotas, Hondas, Subarus, etc. are not American and never will be. 

Toyota and Honda sell several American car and truck models, products that are designed, engineered, and assembled in the U.S. Examples include Pilot, Odyssey, Ridgeline, all 2021 Acuras, Sienna, Avalon, Tundra, and Sequoia.

However, Toyota and Honda are not U.S. companies. Only 3 major global automakers currently are truly American in that sense. Ford, General Motors, and Tesla. 

2 hours ago, akirby said:

Ford still builds more vehicles in the US than any other auto maker.  I look at it this way - certain vehicles need to be built in Mexico to maintain profit levels (or to make a profit at all).  These profits allow Ford to build more vehicles in the US.  E.g. Bronco Sport helps amortize the C2 platform for Escape and Corsair that are built in Louisville.

The Bronco Sport example is one that makes no sense to me. It's a premium product with premium pricing and the platform tooling is already in place at Louisville Assembly. Why could it have not been built there? They even cut a shift in anticipation of Escape demand being lowered. 

1 hour ago, rperez817 said:

Toyota and Honda sell several American car and truck models, products that are designed, engineered, and assembled in the U.S. Examples include Pilot, Odyssey, Ridgeline, all 2021 Acuras, Sienna, Avalon, Tundra, and Sequoia.

However, Toyota and Honda are not U.S. companies. Only 3 major global automakers currently are truly American in that sense. Ford, General Motors, and Tesla. 

Well, 2 major global and 1 boutique manufacturer..... Tesla is not even close in scale of automotive manufacturing as GM and Ford are. I say this knowing that you and I disagree on the stance of Tesla in the world market. You cannot buy a Tesla in many of the markets Ford and GM is currently in and they also have more manufacturing facilities world wide as Tesla does.

Edited by twintornados

3 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

The Bronco Sport example is one that makes no sense to me. It's a premium product with premium pricing and the platform tooling is already in place at Louisville Assembly. Why could it have not been built there? They even cut a shift in anticipation of Escape demand being lowered. 

Im sure they’re expecting at least 150k if not more Sports and Escape sales will increase as more hybrids are available.  Putting them together would have maxed out capacity and risked becoming capacity constrained in the future.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rperez817 said:

And that’s my point. All those Toyotas and Hondas that are being sold in the U.S. are filling the coffers of Japanese companies. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, akirby said:

Im sure they’re expecting at least 150k if not more Sports and Escape sales will increase as more hybrids are available.  Putting them together would have maxed out capacity and risked becoming capacity constrained in the future.

Right now Escape sales are about 15,000/month not including sales to Canada. So including them means about 200,000/year. Corsair is about 40,000/year including Canada. Add in plugins, probably new appearance packages for both, and rumored Escape ST, and 300,000/year is not impossible. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, FordBuyer said:

Right now Escape sales are about 15,000/month not including sales to Canada. So including them means about 200,000/year. Corsair is about 40,000/year including Canada. Add in plugins, probably new appearance packages for both, and rumored Escape ST, and 300,000/year is not impossible. 

Which leaves little to no room for Bronco Sport.

2 hours ago, Trader 10 said:

And that’s my point. All those Toyotas and Hondas that are being sold in the U.S. are filling the coffers of Japanese companies. 

Yes sir Trader 10, completely agree. From a "Buy American" standpoint, the most important consideration should be the HQ or domicile location of the company selling a product or service, and second most important is the location that contributed the most to a product's or service's design and engineering. Final assembly location is a distant third.

For this reason, Mustang Mach-E (designed and engineered in the U.S. and assembled in Mexico) rates higher from a "Buy American" perspective than Chevrolet Bolt (designed and engineered in South Korea and assembled in the U.S).

7 hours ago, Kev-Mo said:

I understand this is how the world works today. I wish more stuff was made in the USA buy USA based companies.

If Mexico assembly is the hard-fast result of Trade Agreements, then Ford should spin Mexico and Canada assembly like Toyota does and tag the vehicles:  Assembled in North America by Ford Motor Company.

All these foreign brand fan-boys running around claiming how the Japanese cars are 'More American' and do not realize that many are assembled in Mexico and labeled or reported as "North America".

Not to mention that an American car made in Mexico creates and/or sustains more American jobs than a Japanese car screwed together in the US does.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, rmc523 said:

At least it has one, unlike the Y.

Because Electric.

But if the back is full, and you need the entire space up front, then you have this divider?  At least it's not permanent.  I wonder if it's standard or optional?  I like the ice cooler idea.

But if you buy an ICE car, you'd have the same problem. The Frunk is a bonus hahahah.

1 hour ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Uh, there was WAY too many camouflaged test cars driving around Detroit for that to be true...

Those were probably the prototypes sent to GM's proving grounds in Milford, Michigan in the 2013-2015 timeframe. Bolt was designed at the GM Korea studio in Incheon, and engineered there as well by a joint team from GM Korea and several companies that are part of LG Corporation (LG Electronics,  LG Chem, LG Innotek, LG Display).

7 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

You are forgetting the platform mate, Maverick. 

They also would have been production strung with the Escape, Corsair, and BS all in Louisville. See Expy/Nav/Super Duty at KTP for an example. Ford could sell a lot more Expy/Nav's if they had more capacity.

Also, the BS and Maverick are going to be sold in Latin America. You need Mexican production for those exports. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, atomcat68 said:

But if you buy an ICE car, you'd have the same problem. The Frunk is a bonus hahahah.

True.  I just watched Doug's video, and thought the fact there wasn't a latch release in the front or key or phone was an oversight.  I guess in that sense, it still works like a hood, but you're also not going into your hood as often as you would be a frunk.  Would've been cool for them to have made the Mustang badge on the front a release button.

• Like 1

Wins Edmunds' "top-rated luxury EV for 2021" (and the new F-150 won for pick-up).

--------------------------

"Last December, Ford said it planned to manufacture 50,000 of the Mach-E sport utility vehicles in the first 12 months of production. First delivery of the new EVs will begin next month, with the premium-priced ($61,000) First Edition models. The basic Select Mach-E carries a manufacturer’s suggested retail price of $43,895 and is expected to arrive in early 2021. Other models include a Premium edition, a California Route 1 and a GT version ranging in price from around $52,000 to $60,500 and all expected to be available later in 2021.

"To nab the award, the Mustang Mach-E had to beat some pretty stiff competition. The luxury EV category (list price greater than $40,000) included the Audi e-tron (starting MSRP of $65,900), the Volvo/Polestar 2 (MSRP of $59,900), the Tesla Model Y (MSRP $49,900), Volvo’s XC40 Recharge (MSRP of $53,990) and Volkswagen’s ID.4 (MSRP of $41,190).

"In its comments on the Mustang Mach-E, Edmunds noted that the vehicle 'isn’t an electrified version of Ford’s classic pony car. Instead, this is a midsize SUV that emulates the two-door coupe’s signature athleticism in a more family-friendly package.' Edmunds also commented that the luxury component of Ford’s winner played a role in its win with 'upscale interior materials and [an] attractive central touchscreen, which is more user-friendly than what you’ll find in other luxury EVs.' "

https://247wallst.com/autos/2020/12/16/fords-massive-home-run-with-mustang-mach-e/

• Like 3