Plastic type rattle noise

Tl99cobra

Hi all,

2021 aviator gt. Gotta say fit and finish is not worthy of an 80 k vehicle.

Anyway,  does anyone hear a vibration rattle when idling with transmission in drive from the engine. It's audible from inside with radio off only. It's probably audible from outside to which is embarrassing. It is not a heater fan as it is present when climate control is off too. Goes away off idle. It is not very loud, just annoying.  I am thinking it may be the poorly constructed and worthless excessive engine cover shroud on the engine.  The grommets that hold that cover on are junk and I can make all sorts of noises by pressing up and down on various parts of the cover. I just came in from garage and put a bunch of foam type pieces under a bunch of areas and will let you know if rattle goes away. Just wondering if others hear. It's a something vibrating from the engine movement at idle.

Thanks.

The plastic, and it is very cheap plastic, surrounding my head up display unit is not sitting flush with the material against it just behind my steering wheel. The GT charging door and opening and closing mechanism is the cheapest I have ever seen. Cheaper than a Ford C-Max.

The body panel gaps are sub par.   The way the plastic engine cover panels are attached with cheap grommets that don't make them sit tight and flush.  The body panels where the car is lifted for a tire change or on a lift are not seamed well and will rust in the future.  My wife's rdx has a better panel and sealing of the seams.  My 2014 explorer sport was better underneath than that.

As a car guy, I also don't like that the 12v battery is under a shroud that when the time comes for a new battery, I have to take all that rear plastic paneling off and the washer fluid lines.

Its just not quite what a 80k vehicle should be, although subtract some for the hybrid power plant, still not quite a 70k vehicle in my opinion, although I haven't been familiar with a 70k beemer or Mercedes or Volvo lately.  Just compairing to my wife's rdx or even my old explorer.

But I guess I should realize that the shell and panels are the same in a 32k explorer as even a black label aviator. The way they build them and most of the parts are the same, they just add more stuff, silencing material, leather, suspension, tech to get a 90k aviator.

5 hours ago, Tl99cobra said:

But I guess I should realize that the shell and panels are the same in a 32k explorer as even a black label aviator. The way they build them and most of the parts are the same, they just add more stuff, silencing material, leather, suspension, tech to get a 90k aviator.

Actually, while Aviator shares the base chasis with Explorer nearly everything else is unique.  They don't share body panels and the interiors are completely different.  The Aviator has more sophisticated suspension components, with a SLA front suspension while the Explorer has struts.  They also had different design teams with each doing their own thing independent of the other... so the Aviator isn't a rebadged Explorer with makeup like in the past.  My dash panel around the HUD fits well with the adjacent trim pieces.  My engine covers are all snug and use the typical expanding push pin type trim fasteners... sounds like they changed them to grommets for '21.

Edited by CoolScoop

• 3 weeks later...

Yes i have what i think is the same noise.  Mine rattles upon deceleration from 35 to zero.  You can also aggrevate it in park by revving the engine a bit, rattles when the rpms come down.  Dealer thought it was a heat shield on exhaust and told me it was all set.  It's still there.  Someone mentioned possibly the flywheel shield?  My motor was replaced at 200 miles due to a major oil leak....

Wow, that sucks.

I mediated my noise. It was the plastic engine covering for me. Basically I went all around my plastic engine shrouding and wherever I could cause movement I tucked in some black cushy foam and firmed it all up and the noise went away. Yours does sound like a heat shield. Mine was only at idle on initial engine kick in from electric to gas engine status and at stop lights.

Now I am working on trying to get the plastic surrounding my hud to sit down a little lower on the left side so it's more flush with rest of the dash. Basically tucking in paperback books between it and windshield at all times vehicle is sitting. But I think it will work finally in the summer when dash gets hot. Right now it's helping a little.

Edited by Tl99cobra

Well I thought I mediated the noise. 

It's still there. I drive alot in electric only mode, but now that it's cold, happens alot more when engine kicks in. 

It happens in drive with brake on and stopped at a light. A rumbling noise from engine l, not metallic. Goes away with coming off idle and driving.

Radio must be off to hear it. Anyone else notice this?

• 1 month later...

Overall the fit and finish on the Lincoln products are sub par.  I should not have rattles and alignment issues in an $85k car.  My wife's new Corsair also has panel alignment issues.  My 21 Aviator GT Reserve II will be the last Lincoln I buy.  It's not only the fit & finish.  Also having a lot of electrical issued and check engine light coming on frequently. 

Edited by RAINEY

• 1 month later...
On 12/19/2020 at 12:05 PM, Tl99cobra said:

Hi all,

2021 aviator gt. Gotta say fit and finish is not worthy of an 80 k vehicle.

Anyway,  does anyone hear a vibration rattle when idling with transmission in drive from the engine. It's audible from inside with radio off only. It's probably audible from outside to which is embarrassing. It is not a heater fan as it is present when climate control is off too. Goes away off idle. It is not very loud, just annoying.  I am thinking it may be the poorly constructed and worthless excessive engine cover shroud on the engine.  The grommets that hold that cover on are junk and I can make all sorts of noises by pressing up and down on various parts of the cover. I just came in from garage and put a bunch of foam type pieces under a bunch of areas and will let you know if rattle goes away. Just wondering if others hear. It's a something vibrating from the engine movement at idle.

Thanks.

I have a 2020 early production Aviator Reserve II, it's a vehicle characteristic, the back of mine rattles like I have kidnapped tied-up hooker back there.