Most Popular Color of 2020

40 minutes ago, akirby said:

White cars look like they forgot to paint them.   At least they have some nice pearls like ceramic Pearl now.

Personally, I've always been partial to white but certain colors look best on certain vehicles. The 3-stage white paints from Ford (White Platinum, Star White) have been very popular and really look great. Remember years ago when the clearcoat paints were extra cost?

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Flying68 said:

aren't most fleet trucks and vans white? Would make sense that white is most popular from a paint supplier perspective.

Agree with what akirby just wrote. While a lot of fleet vehicles are white, a lot depends on the type of vehicle, government or agency fleet standards for colors, department application, etc. Most popular Explorer Police Interceptor Utility color is black. F-Series run from white, red, green, blue, yellow, etc. Yale University's entire fleet is white. Fleets that have specific color requirements also often order select vehicles with special order paints to maintain fleet color consistency. 

2 hours ago, ice-capades said:

Personally, I've always been partial to white but certain colors look best on certain vehicles. The 3-stage white paints from Ford (White Platinum, Star White) have been very popular and really look great. Remember years ago when the clearcoat paints were extra cost?

My 2020 Escape has the tricoat white metallic and it's a $595 option. Looks great in the sun and with the black accents, especially with the black trimmed alloys and blacked out panoramic sun roof.

• Like 1

I only have 2 neighbors, one on each side...on one side ALL their vehicles are WHITE non-brand specific, I asked... they said it's FL, its hot and white reflects heat, ask my why all mine are black, it absorbs heat, I'm like "It prepares me for the after-life"... The other side, ALL they have is Honda minivans, 3 different generations, all didn't age well, but older couple who doesn't need the space, but love them.  And while judging them (cause I'm non-practicing catholic when convenient) I'm sure they are looking at me like "he lives alone in a big house and has 3 black Lincolns, is he part of the mafia?" LOL

36 minutes ago, iamweasel said:

Man I don't know about that.  I think white is the most boring color there is.....I like a good silver/gray, and so does James Bond.  :)

James Bond drives whatever the company that paid big bucks for movie product placement says he drives. In whatever grayscale non-color the advertising money says his ride must be.

The only non-color for me is the pure Oxford White (non-beighe tint).  Anything on the non-color scale below optic white- including fifty shades of silver/gray, all the way to black is not for me.  Personal choice - no apologies.

I think some vehicles look good in silver, like the Explorer, then I see it in a color and it looks much better to my eye.

My Explorer is Dark Cherry Metallic (Code HH)

My F-150 is Moonlight Blue (Code KM)

I think the Magma Red is the coolest truck color now

magma red.PNG

The "whites" of the palette have made an amazing run. The metallic variants and particularly tri coats have added excitement to what was once "plain vanilla". Interestingly it has become almost impossible to do kitchen appliances in all but basic models in white.  

The other, less reported item is the stranglehold of black for interior colors. Many years ago there were many more colorful choices. With a nod to assembly complexity, choices are greatly reduced.

Thankfully paint systems are still about 10- 15 per plant with choices depending on  exact model. Specialty vehicles for fleet or police have an even wider palette including muddy browns and greys, as well as bright colors not seen on regular vehicles in decades.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, paintguy said:

The other, less reported item is the stranglehold of black for interior colors. Many years ago there were many more colorful choices. With a nod to assembly complexity, choices are greatly reduced.

As much as I bitch about grayscale exterior colors, I don't mind this. Easier to keep from looking like crap. 

Porsche does a paint to sample on certain vehicles from time to time. Mexico Blue is a popular one and is $3,000+ option. It makes your 911 more valuable as only a small number get the paint to sample treatment. Ford should do that with the top end Mustangs and other top enders like Navigator. 

45 minutes ago, FordBuyer said:

Porsche does a paint to sample on certain vehicles from time to time. Mexico Blue is a popular one and is $3,000+ option. It makes your 911 more valuable as only a small number get the paint to sample treatment. Ford should do that with the top end Mustangs and other top enders like Navigator. 

I am surprised $3,000 would cover it. Porsche tends to have pricey options.