Ford Issues Two Safety Recalls 12/21/2020

Ford Motor Company Issues Two Safety Recalls in North America

DEARBORN, Mich., Dec. 21, 2020 – Ford Motor Company is issuing two safety recalls in North America.

Safety recall for select 2021 Ford E-Series vehicles for 7.3-liter engine cover thermal management

Affected vehicles may contain mispositioned insulation on the underside of the engine cover that does not fully extend
to the perimeter, as intended. As a result, heat from the engine compartment can cause elevated temperatures on the
passenger compartment surface of the engine cover. Under certain conditions, engine cover surface temperatures can
further increase in vehicles modified with Stationary Elevated Idle Control or Battery Charge Protect.

Direct and continuous contact with certain areas of the surface of the engine cover in the passenger compartment may
cause burns to the skin of the driver or front passenger.

Ford is not aware of any accidents or injuries related to this condition.

This action affects approximately 29,344 vehicles in the U.S. and federal territories and 2,412 in Canada. Affected
vehicles were built at Ohio Assembly Plant from May 11, 2019, to Nov. 13, 2020.

Dealers will check the engine cover for gaps between the rubber seal and the insulation. If needed, the dealer will install
engine cover insulation patches in the right and left inner lower corners of the engine cover. The dealer will also update
the powertrain calibration for heat management under certain elevated idle conditions. The Ford reference number for
this recall is 20S73.

Safety recall for select 2020-21 Ford Explorer and Lincoln Aviator vehicles

In affected vehicles, the motor mount fasteners may become loose over time and disconnect from the engine, which
could result in loss of power.

Ford is not aware of any accidents or injuries related to this condition.

This action affects approximately 1,405 vehicles in the U.S. and federal territories, 65 in Canada and two in Mexico.

Affected vehicles were built at Chicago Assembly Plant July 28-30, 2020.

Dealers will replace the right-hand motor mount fasteners. The Ford reference number for this recall is 20S72.

16 hours ago, ANTAUS said:

Curious to see if the 2020 Explorer will have the same recall history as the what, Escape from what, 20 years ago?  ONly beat out by the first generation X5 as the most recalled vehicle in history...

Actually, according to the NHTSA database the 2001 Escape had fewer recalls (15) than the 2013 Escape (16). 

The new Explorer is “only” at 10 recalls as of today although I’m not sure if that is accounting for the latest recall.  

The first year of the BMW X5 had one recall.  

Ford needs to get control of its reliability issues....Explorer is last in CR ratings for its segment and Escape is last in its segment. And I mean way last. I have not had any trouble with my new Escape, but it seems many with 1.5L are having troubles. Hope the Bronco Sport does better. Add in Lincoln coming in last in luxury segment. Wonder how the Mach E will do, and F-Series doesn't score very well in reliability surveys. Farley has big job ahead when Chrysler scores higher in these surveys.

1 hour ago, akirby said:

Thanks Captain Obvious.

Uh, I just learned today that Escape came in dead last in latest CR reliability survey. So what does that mean for Bronco Sport? Another dead last rating? WTH. I knew it would be grim for Explorer for 2020, but not its compact sized CUVs too. And what does it mean for 2021 F150 with thousands parked at Metro Airport. Worse than I thought.

1 hour ago, FordBuyer said:

Uh, I just learned today that Escape came in dead last in latest CR reliability survey. So what does that mean for Bronco Sport? Another dead last rating? WTH. I knew it would be grim for Explorer for 2020, but not its compact sized CUVs too. And what does it mean for 2021 F150 with thousands parked at Metro Airport. Worse than I thought.

The F-150 thing is the biggest non-story ever. They built all of those before OKTB was given and ran out of room for them closer to the plant. They need to be reinspected before they can be shipped, as is standard operating procedure pretty much across the industry. The reason there's so many is instead of building smaller amounts per shift before OKTB like normal they ramped up faster so they can fill inventory ASAP. Demand for this truck is as high as or higher than it ever has been before. 

Im not surprised the shitty Detroit Free Press put this out there and tried to make a big deal about it as if it's Explorer pt. 2. That publication ranks down there with the worst of the worst news organizations in the country in my eyes. 

Edited by fuzzymoomoo
  • Like 3

• 5 weeks later...

I just noticed in the automotive press that the Explorer PIU and certain Aviators had another one yesterday. So that's 7 recalls for the Aviator so far. But could be worse. Explorers have had 11. This one's pretty minor, having to do with contaminated washer fluid. But still, that's nuts.

https://fordauthority.com/2021/01/2020-lincoln-aviator-ford-explorer-police-interceptor-utility-recalled-over-contaminated-windshield-wiper-fluid/