2021 Ford Explorer Timberline Prototypes Spied

4 hours ago, T-dubz said:

Eh, I was hoping for more.it almost seems less aggressive looking than the regular explorer. The first pic is giving me a Taurus X vibe. I would have been happy with a lifted ST.

2021-Ford-Explorer-FX4-or-Timberline-Spy2021-Ford-Explorer-FX4-or-Timberline-Spy2021-Ford-Explorer-FX4-or-Timberline-Spy2021-Ford-Explorer-FX4-or-Timberline-Spy2021-Ford-Explorer-FX4-or-Timberline-Spy

Tow hooks and big ass skid plates. Tires look very aggressive also. Looks ready for offroading

Is this new front fascia across the entire lineup?   I love that they fixed the grill corners going under the headlights but they really need to do something about the rear end.  It literally looks like they forgot to style it.  

Other than that I don’t get the hype.  I don’t think some fat tires like the police vehicles have and a red accent strip makes this any more of an off-roader.  You’d think they would continued the Tremor theme.  You’ve already got brand value with the name.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rmc523 said:

That bar in the grille makes me think of a 4 Runner for some reason.

First thing that popped into my mind also.  I live in the Colorado Front Range, the land of the mega-popular 4Runner.  To my eye, this is clearly aimed at that 4Runner customer who somehow confuses 'gaudy' with 'rugged'.  While it's not my style, there are lots of buyers out there who fit this look.   I'm glad to see Ford go directly at a major competitor like this. 

Edited by Kev-Mo

28 minutes ago, Kev-Mo said:

First thing that popped into my mind also.  I live in the Colorado Front Range, the land of the mega-popular 4Runner.  To my eye, this is clearly aimed at that 4Runner customer who somehow confuses 'gaudy' with 'rugged'.  While it's not my style, there are lots of buyers out there who fit this look.   I'm glad to see Ford go directly at a major competitor like this. 

So it's good that Ford should lower their standard to compete? 

1 minute ago, NLPRacing said:

I would really love to see a 5.0L V8 option. The Explorer is the only RWD based SUV in this class that doesn't offer a V8 option. The 3.0EB ST is great, but an XLT or Limited with a Coyote would be amazing.

So what? Ford keeps showing over and over again that the V8 option is no longer necessary today. There were a lot of questions when Ford started to introduce the EcoBoost V-6 engines in the F-150's but those questions were quickly answered by buyers' acceptance to the point that the EcoBoost engines now account for 60% of F-150 sales. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NLPRacing said:

I would really love to see a 5.0L V8 option. The Explorer is the only RWD based SUV in this class that doesn't offer a V8 option. The 3.0EB ST is great, but an XLT or Limited with a Coyote would be amazing.

I agree.  With Ford seemingly producing a model to align with every possible automotive desire out there, a V8 Explorer would seem to be a no brainer.  I think it would be the best seller too.  They could also bump the tow rating to make it competitive with some of the V8 competition as well.  Lots of potential especially now being RWD. 

Would the Coyote V8 even be able to fit inside the Explorer? I'm pretty sure Ford crunched the numbers and figured they wouldn't make money with the V8-powered Explorer, hence the 3.0L EB V6. However, it's likely we would see the V8 be offered in the Expedition first before they even think of doing it for the Explorer.

25 minutes ago, pffan1990 said:

Would the Coyote V8 even be able to fit inside the Explorer? I'm pretty sure Ford crunched the numbers and figured they wouldn't make money with the V8-powered Explorer, hence the 3.0L EB V6. However, it's likely we would see the V8 be offered in the Expedition first before they even think of doing it for the Explorer.

If not the 7.3 can be the fallback :)

• Like 1

Ice nailed it, add a skid plate and cheap as hell body cladding and the genie gives it off road prowess...ford is chicken shit on design right now....clearly designed for aging baby boomers who are a week away from the county geriatric facility....ford needs to put truck nutz on every bland as hell model to show they have not lost a pair

3 hours ago, ice-capades said:

So it's good that Ford should lower their standard to compete? 

Answer:  Ford should go for market share and conquest sales in segments they make a profit.

Going after the 135K buyers dropping big bucks on a 4Runner is hardly dropping the standard.  The millions of Toyota fanboys would say the 4Runner is an 'upgrade' from an Explorer.

It's not like Ford is getting rid of the handsome Explorer to go after the big number of gaudy fans, there just offering one that is a tad gaudy - give the customer what they want.