Mystery Ford: Fun Holiday Guessing

Article attribution and more info: https://www.burlappcar.com/2020/12/2022-ford-mondeo-evos-first-pix.html

My only guess is perhaps something for China, they seem to be getting the huge screens for their interiors.

Edit: Vince thinks it might be the Fusion whitespace thingy, or the companion to the Mach E.

Edited by Harley Lover
  • Like 1

Just now, fuzzymoomoo said:

No, too far away for there to be prototypes built. 

Yeah I was thinking the same thing, but we are 7 days from 2021 and technically wouldn't it launch in 2023 as a 2024MY? So that would be about 18-24 months out. I'm going to assume this is some sort of Chinese market only product...considering all the engineers working there are of Asian descent ?

• Like 2

I'm going with Chinese market MACH E.

The roof line is almost identical to MACH E and so is the position of the rear lights. And previously reports mentioned MACH E will have different front end and interior in China.

Edit: maybe it's not MACH E... further review of the rear door photo shows the prototype has a longer more straight top edge door window whereas MACH E has a tapered teardrop shape rear door window. 

burlapcpar-ford-evos-2.jpg

burlappcar-ford-evos-3.jpg

2021-Ford-Mustang-Mach-E-in-white-rear-s

burlappcar-ford-evos-1.jpg

mustang-mach-e-gt-performance-edition-fr

Edited by bzcat
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, silvrsvt said:

Yeah I was thinking the same thing, but we are 7 days from 2021 and technically wouldn't it launch in 2023 as a 2024MY? So that would be about 18-24 months out. I'm going to assume this is some sort of Chinese market only product...considering all the engineers working there are of Asian descent ?

When the the new Unifor contract was reached in September the press releases stated that BEV production would begin in 2024. That’s would be 36 to 42 months or more from now- way too early for a prototype this advanced. Looks like a model that will be ready for production in a year or less.

It's either Mondeo Active or something based on MACH E. Not Edge and certainly not the Edge EV that won't be launched until late 2023. 

The interior looks very similar to the 2021 Chinese Ford Edge and Equator - single wall of screen from the gauge cluster all the way to the center stack. 

2021 Edge interior

burlappcar-ford-evos-4.jpg

Edited by bzcat
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, ausrutherford said:

Given the interior size compared to the Edge pictured, I would say it is a compact. The Fusion Activ would be midsize. 

One other thing...given the front end design, it is very reminiscent of the front ends of Chinese spec Fords. I am guessing a vehicle for China.

If it is really Focus size, I supposed it could also be the EV that is supposed to be using VW MEB platform. 

15 hours ago, ausrutherford said:

Given the interior size compared to the Edge pictured, I would say it is a compact. The Fusion Activ would be midsize. 

One other thing...given the front end design, it is very reminiscent of the front ends of Chinese spec Fords. I am guessing a vehicle for China.

Just adding some more comments, there are is an explanation of the blank grill. It is a Chinese electric version of the ICE vehicle. This would explain that the vehicle actually has a grill.

If this was a purpose-built electric vehicle, it would not have the typical grill insert. 

44 minutes ago, T-dubz said:

Ford authority is saying this is the next fusion/mondeo. Now the question is, will this interior make it to the US version?

There's been rumors we might not even see it. 

IMO the $20-40K range for Ford (at least in NA) might be overstaturated in the next few years when it comes to product. I'm not exactly sure how a wagon (which isn't very popular form factor in NA) is going to help, outside of keeping the Fusion name alive here. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

There's been rumors we might not even see it. 

IMO the $20-40K range for Ford (at least in NA) might be overstaturated in the next few years when it comes to product. I'm not exactly sure how a wagon (which isn't very popular form factor in NA) is going to help, outside of keeping the Fusion name alive here. 

Subaru sells so many of these...

2020_subaru_outback_4dr-suv_onyx-edition

...That there are rumors they might kill off the Legacy sedan in order to produce more Outbacks.

Subaru sold over 190,000 units in the US and Canada last year.

2 hours ago, ausrutherford said:

Subaru sold over 190,000 units in the US and Canada last year.

Subaru is a niche market and I’m not 100% convinced that Fords strengths would allow it to play to win in this market. This isn’t the Bronco or Bronco Sport going against Jeep or Ford introducing the Maverick in the compact truck market. 

• Like 2