Interior Door Release Failure

Cbaviator

Has any one had failure of the internal door release buttons? Both the front passenger door button and the rear passenger door button have quit working on our 2020 Aviator. The electric door opening was a bit of a safety concern when we bought the vehicle, but we assumed they were designed and made of very high quality since they were such a critical component. This failure is very concerning as it is a big safety issue since the drivers door is the only one with a manual opening backup. Hoping it is a freak occurrence and the dealer can repair, but wondering if anyone has experienced a failure of the door opener. 

2 hours ago, Cbaviator said:

Has any one had failure of the internal door release buttons? Both the front passenger door button and the rear passenger door button have quit working on our 2020 Aviator. The electric door opening was a bit of a safety concern when we bought the vehicle, but we assumed they were designed and made of very high quality since they were such a critical component. This failure is very concerning as it is a big safety issue since the drivers door is the only one with a manual opening backup. Hoping it is a freak occurrence and the dealer can repair, but wondering if anyone has experienced a failure of the door opener. 

Hi Cbaviator. It is not a common occurrence, but things do happen. Sorry it had to happen to you.

Of course your Dealer will be able to diagnose and correct the problem.

Let us know how you make out and good luck.

Edited by bbf2530
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Cbaviator said:

It indeed is a safety concern. This button should not fail so early. The aviator has had 10 recalls in its short life. Built quality and reliability is really holding some buyers back. Hope it get fixed quickly. 

This is what bugged me when I saw the lack of interior door handles. Correct me if I'm wrong but there's only one physical release and it's for the driver's door only, isn't it? The fact that they don't have physical release levers for all 3 other doors is annoying.

The same kind of annoying that the passenger side mirror isn't auto-dimming.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 12/27/2020 at 9:18 PM, bbf2530 said:

Hi Cbaviator. It is not a common occurrence, but things do happen. Sorry it had to happen to you.

Of course your Dealer will be able to diagnose and correct the problem.

Let us know how you make out and good luck.

That's a bunch of Sh---T , My 2020's driver-side door stopped working on me and I would have to roll down the window and open the door from the outside door handle.  In fact, I would have to press the button and push the door open at the same time or I would get trapped in the car.  But I guess I just keep taking it back to the dealership so they can say there is nothing wrong with the car!  

7 minutes ago, BigAl77 said:

That's a bunch of Sh---T , My 2020's driver-side door stopped working on me and I would have to roll down the window and open the door from the outside door handle.  In fact, I would have to press the button and push the door open at the same time or I would get trapped in the car.  But I guess I just keep taking it back to the dealership so they can say there is nothing wrong with the car!  

Hi BA. What you state makes no sense. How would a Dealership tell you "there is nothing wrong with the car" if the door handle does not work? It is an easy problem to demonstrate.

Conversation goes something like this:

You- "My door handle is not working."

Service Department staff- "Oh, okay, can you show me?"

You- "Yes, watch" (you push handle and door does not open).

Service Department staff- "Oh, okay. We will take care of that."

Your post is painfully short on details. Did you bring your vehicle in for service? Was it repaired? What did the invoice state? Did the problem reoccur? Did you need to bring your vehicle back again?  Provide some details to back up your "That's a "bunch of Sh---T" claims

What is your point and why quote my accurate reply? "It is not a common occurrence, but things do happen."  Not sure what your "That's a bunch of Sh---T" issue is.

Your door handle mechanism became inoperative and needed to be repaired. Make a service appointment for your 2020 and have it repaired under warranty.

Or..if you don't want to take it to the Dealer to have it repaired under warranty, then fix it yourself or learn to live with it.

Good luck.

• Like 1

My 2020 driver side rear door stopped opening recently from either button (inside or outside), door fault message, car thinks the door is ajar, vehicle no longer locks, rear emergency braking inoperative, blown electric door latch fuse. Just another of a long list of random electrical issues.  At least it has been starting consistently. 

Forscan reports an error with Door Control Module G. 

But without any sort of manual release, I’m sure the technicians would literally butcher the interior trying to get inside the door panel without being able to open the door.  I think I’ll just live with it - I am waiting on a factory order from a competing luxury brand - so in a couple months the saga will be over!

6 Lincolns - 4 brand new, 3 of those factory orders and 2 pre-owned, all top of the line since 2013 and this one is the last. And I was SO excited for the Aviator, more so than I was for the redesigned MKX back in 2015. But after the six month (and three day) wait, it’s been nothing but a disappointment in terms of build quality, squeaks and rattles, electrical issues, etc and I only have 5,500 miles on it! 

On 3/9/2021 at 9:53 PM, bbf2530 said:

Hi BA. What you state makes no sense. How would a Dealership tell you "there is nothing wrong with the car" if the door handle does not work? It is an easy problem to demonstrate.

Conversation goes something like this:

You- "My door handle is not working."

Service Department staff- "Oh, okay, can you show me?"

You- "Yes, watch" (you push handle and door does not open).

Service Department staff- "Oh, okay. We will take care of that."

Your post is painfully short on details. Did you bring your vehicle in for service? Was it repaired? What did the invoice state? Did the problem reoccur? Did you need to bring your vehicle back again?  Provide some details to back up your "That's a "bunch of Sh---T" claims

What is your point and why quote my accurate reply? "It is not a common occurrence, but things do happen."  Not sure what your "That's a bunch of Sh---T" issue is.

Your door handle mechanism became inoperative and needed to be repaired. Make a service appointment for your 2020 and have it repaired under warranty.

Or..if you don't want to take it to the Dealer to have it repaired under warranty, then fix it yourself or learn to live with it.

Good luck.

I take my Aviator to the service department every month now for something, they have been able to fix the door..  But still cannot fix the false alarms and the half dozen other software glitches I have to live with, my last three fords I never took to the service department for anything other than an oil change, this car has had the same issues now for over a year.  What pisses me off is they say there is nothing wrong with it when I pick up, really getting pissed off because I have never lemon lawed a car in my life and not in a habit of making things up.

8 hours ago, BigAl77 said:

I take my Aviator to the service department every month now for something, they have been able to fix the door..  But still cannot fix the false alarms and the half dozen other software glitches I have to live with, my last three fords I never took to the service department for anything other than an oil change, this car has had the same issues now for over a year.  What pisses me off is they say there is nothing wrong with it when I pick up, really getting pissed off because I have never lemon lawed a car in my life and not in a habit of making things up.

Hi BA. I certainly understand your aggravation and frustration. Perhaps try another Dealership and/or call Lincoln Concierge and enlist their assistance, if you haven't already done so.

I hope you can get these problems fixed and be happy with your Aviator.

Just remember that we are all here to try and help each other, so try not to take your frustration out on the wrong people (us...lol).

Keep us updated and good luck.

9 hours ago, BigAl77 said:

It sucks that Aviator is still having these problems, but the dealer may not be lying.  If they test it and the problem doesn't occur then they can't be sure what to fix.   Are you able to demonstrate the problem for them?  Have you tried leaving it with them for a few days?    Give the concierge a try.   If none of that works by all means check into lemon law.

This is where I believe Lincoln should have a buyback policy.   If you're not happy in the first 6 months or have unsolved problems within the first year, they should buy it back no questions asked with a discount on a new Lincoln.  That would go so far with customer satisfaction and it wouldn't cost a lot because the vehicle could be repaired if necessary and resold.

23 hours ago, akirby said:

It sucks that Aviator is still having these problems, but the dealer may not be lying.  If they test it and the problem doesn't occur then they can't be sure what to fix.   Are you able to demonstrate the problem for them?  Have you tried leaving it with them for a few days?    Give the concierge a try.   If none of that works by all means check into lemon law.

This is where I believe Lincoln should have a buyback policy.   If you're not happy in the first 6 months or have unsolved problems within the first year, they should buy it back no questions asked with a discount on a new Lincoln.  That would go so far with customer satisfaction and it wouldn't cost a lot because the vehicle could be repaired if necessary and resold.

Yep, I am not a happy camper and I have purchased several Lincolns, they will never do that once you sign a contract it is binding, and cars that are bought back or lemon lawed are immediately destroyed as a result.  But it has taken three visits and 1 year has gone by before they will even start replacing anything to resolve these issues.  This last time I pulled into the service department and my touchscreen were completely black no radio controls or climate, I am currently working with an attorney and will probably be rid of this piece of shit by fall.  I just want it gone, no faith that service is going to resolve these issues, Ford has no business charging me 75 grand for an SUV and have it loaded with annoyances and problems, I can see one or two minor issues but not where I am taking it to the dealer multiple times for the same issues.  Come on they need to wake up, and I after I read on here a guy lemoned lawed 2 aviators a 2020 and 2021 I don't even want another one, I originally just wanted it swapped out for a new one now, FORGET THAT SHIT!

On 3/12/2021 at 8:31 AM, akirby said:

My perception is that if a problem can not be demonstrated/repeated for/by the dealer and there are no error codes that the dealer is very limited on what they are allowed to do. 
My experience with steering wheel memory setting not holding was such a case.  After I sent a letter to Lincoln HQ a Lincoln rep got involved and apparently authorized the dealer to replace the BCM which seems to fix the issue.

Edited by LHB
Fix typing mistakes

8 hours ago, BigAl77 said:

Yep, I am not a happy camper and I have purchased several Lincolns, they will never do that once you sign a contract it is binding, and cars that are bought back or lemon lawed are immediately destroyed as a result.  But it has taken three visits and 1 year has gone by before they will even start replacing anything to resolve these issues.  This last time I pulled into the service department and my touchscreen were completely black no radio controls or climate, I am currently working with an attorney and will probably be rid of this piece of shit by fall.  I just want it gone, no faith that service is going to resolve these issues, Ford has no business charging me 75 grand for an SUV and have it loaded with annoyances and problems, I can see one or two minor issues but not where I am taking it to the dealer multiple times for the same issues.  Come on they need to wake up, and I after I read on here a guy lemoned lawed 2 aviators a 2020 and 2021 I don't even want another one, I originally just wanted it swapped out for a new one now, FORGET THAT SHIT!

Hi BA. I understand all of your frustration. Only want to point out one error. In the vast majority of cases, Lemon Law or other buyback vehicles are not destroyed. Most are repaired and sold, with a disclosure that it was a buyback vehicle when applicable by State law.

Good luck.

Edited by bbf2530

• 3 months later...

I’m simply amazed that Lincoln would let this ruin their name. I’m currently sitting at a dealership waiting to get this door issue fixed. 2004 miles on my 2021 Aviator and not only did the passenger button stop working, it broke lose and started rattling around in the door. I had to pull it out and duct tape it to the arm rest since service departments are back up for two weeks. Also, I have brake squeal in the rear that sounds like someone learning to play a squeaky violin. This might just be dirt but I’ve never had this happen before on a brand new vehicle. I really hope this doesn’t continue happening like what I’m hearing from others. Should’ve done my research before agreeing to $75k vehicle with Kia quality. 

Since most phones have the ability to take videos, if I have an issue I record it and show it to them.  That way they can see and hear, what is/isn't happening. I have found this to be most helpful when dealing with issues. It gives them something to escalate the problem with especially if they can't duplicate.

Edited by jcartwright99
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, bb2662 said:

I’m simply amazed that Lincoln would let this ruin their name. I’m currently sitting at a dealership waiting to get this door issue fixed. 2004 miles on my 2021 Aviator and not only did the passenger button stop working, it broke lose and started rattling around in the door. I had to pull it out and duct tape it to the arm rest since service departments are back up for two weeks. Also, I have brake squeal in the rear that sounds like someone learning to play a squeaky violin. This might just be dirt but I’ve never had this happen before on a brand new vehicle. I really hope this doesn’t continue happening like what I’m hearing from others. Should’ve done my research before agreeing to $75k vehicle with Kia quality. 

Kia ranks higher than Lincoln in the 2021 J.D.  Power dependability study:  https://www.jdpower.com/business/press-releases/2021-us-vehicle-dependability-study-vds

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...