2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee Scooped With Striking New Design

Dequindre

The 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee has been spied testing in three-row guise with less camouflage than any time before.

Unsurprisingly, the new Grand Cherokee bares a resemblance to the Grand Commander that is sold exclusively in the Chinese market, as well as the new Grand Wagoneer. The similarities are particularly obvious at the front end where there are very similar headlights, although those used by the Grand Cherokee are slightly thinner. We can also see part of the seven-slot front grille.

https://www.carscoops.com/2020/12/2022-jeep-grand-cherokee-scooped-with-striking-new-design/

2 hours ago, sullynd said:

I think the article author has a different definition of “striking” than I do. 

I was just going to say the same thing.

A. a lot of camo, so you can't see much.

B. I do see the usual 7 slot grille.  So nothing new there.

Looks like the usual 3 row CUV to me.

• Like 4

On 12/28/2020 at 2:01 PM, rmc523 said:

To my eyes here with the camo, it looks like the current one with slimmer head/taillights, and an obnoxious amount of grille openings.

Even with camo, you can see the proportions are very different. The one in the spy photo is the LWB version that is supposed to replace Durango so it substantially longer wheelbase and looks like it is same size as Explorer. The current GC is the same size as Edge. 

I believe the new GC will have two wheelbases and length - midsize 5 seat and large size 7 seat. 

56 minutes ago, bzcat said:

Even with camo, you can see the proportions are very different. The one in the spy photo is the LWB version that is supposed to replace Durango so it substantially longer wheelbase and looks like it is same size as Explorer. The current GC is the same size as Edge. 

I believe the new GC will have two wheelbases and length - midsize 5 seat and large size 7 seat. 

Makes you wonder what the point of Wagoneer/Grand Wagoneer is.... 

1 hour ago, bzcat said:

I know, but I was talking design wise.  Design wise, it looks largely the same.

2 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

The wagoneer will be for a while different segment of vehicle.  The 7 seater grand cherokee is mainly for people who want a mid sized crossover and don't want the utility of a full sized suv.  Most people who wants an expedition wants an expedition sized vehicle, im sure they won't rele be swayed to an explorer.  Actually most people who want the expedition had an explorer or equivalent and find it too small for teen sized people.

Edited by Dlcorbett

1 hour ago, Dlcorbett said:

The wagoneer will be for a while different segment of vehicle.  The 7 seater grand cherokee is mainly for people who want a mid sized crossover and don't want the utility of a full sized suv.  Most people who wants an expedition wants an expedition sized vehicle, im sure they won't rele be swayed to an explorer.  Actually most people who want the expedition had an explorer or equivalent and find it too small for teen sized people.

I thought the BOF Wagoneer was dead due to being too expensive....

5 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Wagoneer is fullsize BOF. It's sort of like asking what is the point of Expedition while looking at a photo of an Explorer.

Subcompact: Renegade vs. Puma/EcoSport

Compact short: Compass vs. Bronco Sport

Compact long: Cherokee vs. Escape

Heritage: Wrangler vs. Bronco

Midsize 5 seat: Grand Cherokee vs. Edge

Large: Durango Grand Cherokee LWB vs. Explorer

Fullsize: Wagoneer/Grand Wagoneer vs. Expedition

Edited by bzcat
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, FR739 said:

I think it’s going to be built on the world class Ram chassis which is good.  That chassis absolutely needs to be under more vehicles.  

9 hours ago, bzcat said:

Wagoneer is fullsize BOF. It's sort of like asking what is the point of Expedition while looking at a photo of an Explorer.

Subcompact: Renegade vs. Puma/EcoSport

Compact short: Compass vs. Bronco Sport

Compact long: Cherokee vs. Escape

Heritage: Wrangler vs. Bronco

Midsize 5 seat: Grand Cherokee vs. Edge

Large: Durango Grand Cherokee LWB vs. Explorer

Fullsize: Wagoneer/Grand Wagoneer vs. Expedition

I was posting under the assumption that it was no longer BOF. I can't remember who it was but someone said last year that it was now cost prohibitive to do BOF so they stretched the Grand Cherokee platform for it. 

I agree, the interior looks great, but the exterior is kind of ruined for me by the awful chrome strip.  It’s pretty much an evolutionary change, similar to the F150.  I personally would have liked to have seen a little more change on the exterior, which I have the same feeling about the F150, but I guess if it isn’t broke don’t fix it.  

I like this a lot.  Exterior has a little of the Chrysler minivan with that chrome wrapping around the back but I like both.  I think the interior is much better executed than the Explorer....much better.  Was hoping the straight 6 engine would debut here.  We are done with 3 row "large" vehicle needs so the regular Grand Cherokee would fit the bill better.  Keeping my old shitbox Yukon XL for hauling needs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, buddysystem said:

I like this a lot.  Exterior has a little of the Chrysler minivan with that chrome wrapping around the back but I like both.  I think the interior is much better executed than the Explorer....much better.  Was hoping the straight 6 engine would debut here.  We are done with 3 row "large" vehicle needs so the regular Grand Cherokee would fit the bill better.  Keeping my old shitbox Yukon XL for hauling needs.

The exterior looks nice, though a massaging of the current look.  The interior looks very nice, though.

I'd imagine the "regular" Grand Cherokee will look just like this but shorter.

• Like 1

Smart move by FCA or whatever they are called. Allows them to compete in the 5 or 7 seat segment and has a lot of brand name cache. Interior to me looks fantastic and love the attention to detail. Even the glove box door latch has some design to it, instead of just a simple latch. Agree with Akirby about the screen angle but have to think that is more of an illusion of the photograph and in reality it is a non-issue. 

Haven't seen pricing but I would not be surprised if the bulk of the models are not in the 50's and stretch into the low 60's? 

12 hours ago, SmartKid001 said:

I like it.! Wish aviator can have this level of technology tho.

What Tech?

Only thing it seems to have is Autoliv's Night Vision, but Ford never has offered it on any vehicles even though they have shown some concepts with it in Europe but never offered it as it costs so much. Aviator will get SYNC4 and Active Driving assistant very soon. 

11 minutes ago, kyle said:

Smart move by FCA or whatever they are called. Allows them to compete in the 5 or 7 seat segment and has a lot of brand name cache. Interior to me looks fantastic and love the attention to detail. Even the glove box door latch has some design to it, instead of just a simple latch. Agree with Akirby about the screen angle but have to think that is more of an illusion of the photograph and in reality it is a non-issue. 

Haven't seen pricing but I would not be surprised if the bulk of the models are not in the 50's and stretch into the low 60's? 

The decision to make a 3 row Grand Cherokee instead of continuing with Durango was mostly because Jeep can be sold globally while Dodge is confined to North America. But even in North America, it's not hard to see that Jeep can probably command higher prices than Dodge so it makes sense here as well. 

Durango will return though as cheaper alternative to the BOF Wagoneer.

• Like 3