Automotive News First Shift: Product hits and misses of 2020

https://www.autonews.com/video/first-shift-product-hits-and-misses-2020

Ford had the biggest hit of all for 2020 (what announcer Tom Worobec called a "smash"), Ford Bronco family.

"The return of Ford's Wrangler rival generated online buzz and a strong preorder bank. But perhaps the biggest validation of what became Ford's odyssey to resurrect the Bronco nameplate came when General Motors reportedly lamented that it's missing the latest round of Detroit's off-road battles featuring Jeep and Ford."

Another hit from Ford was F-150 hybrid.

"The first hybrid electric powertrain in a Ford truck is a winner. The electric motor propels the truck at low speeds, the start-stop system is virtually imperceptible, and the big battery can power tools and household appliances.

Miss from Ford was 2020 Escape.

"The Escape is one of the industry's bestselling nameplates for years. It was expected to attract even more customers who would have bought one of Ford's discontinued cars such as the Focus or Fusion. It didn't work out that way."

• Like 3

Is BMW's new grille really hurting sales? Critics may not like it, but the real test is whether it drives away potential customers.

I remember critics hating Chris Bangle's styling theme (particularly the "Bangle Butt" on some sedans), but it really didn't hurt BMW's sales in the long run. 

The Escape miss is the big one. The compact CUV is now the biggest vehicle segment in the world and Ford kind of whiffed on it. I think Ford should be looking at an earlier mid cycle and try to fix some of the problems. A general upgrade of interior material will go a long ways and maybe a more concerted effort to focus the marketing on hybrid and PHEV versions. I know the battery setback with PHEV was not Ford's fault but when that issue is resolved, I hope Ford puts the PHEV version front and center in the marketing and try to get Escape established as the PHEV choice in the segment before RAV4 runs away with it.

• Like 5

The exterior looks like one of the vehicles in the Cars movie, the interior looks cheap and there is very little sound deadening in my opinion. Who would think that this would be a recipe for success?  The Bronco Sport with its more traditional SUV styling is really the new Escape. The one they are marketing looks like a tall six year old Focus, again in my opinion and it appears the market agrees. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, sullynd said:

I wish the Bronco Sport just replaced the Escape. BS with all the Escape/Corsair powertrains (including hybrid/PHEV) would be great. 

It won’t get great mpg even with a hybrid.  It’s just not aero efficient.

Escape just needs a tweak to the front end and an interior upgrade and to get more hybrids out the door and it will be fine.

As is they’ll sell about 175K.  200K should be easy with more hybrids.  That in addition to Bronco Sport is hardly a failure.  They could easily see 350k combined sales.  Sacrificing one or the other is silly.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, akirby said:

Escape just needs a tweak to the front end and an interior upgrade and to get more hybrids out the door and it will be fine.

2021 Escape has expanded availability of the hybrid version. It's now standard on Titanium and optional on SE and SEL.

Emergency refresh for Escape hasn't been officially announced by Ford but may come later in 2021.

1 hour ago, sullynd said:

Seems like a pretty minimal penalty. 

It’s more when you look at the fwd escape and hev.  They could do a fwd/hev Bronco Sport but I think that would dilute the image.

I like letting each vehicle play to its strength.  A power boost hybrid BS like a Corsair GT might work but would compromise 4wd capability.

3 hours ago, rperez817 said:

2021 Escape has expanded availability of the hybrid version. It's now standard on Titanium and optional on SE and SEL.

Emergency refresh for Escape hasn't been officially announced by Ford but may come later in 2021.

I don't recall seeing any announcement on the Titanium being hybrid standard.  When did that happen?

I do hope with the refresh, the exterior looks more like the Chinese version.  I prefer that to the US version, exterior wise.  Interior I'm fine with.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 92merc said:

I don't recall seeing any announcement on the Titanium being hybrid standard.  When did that happen?

In the 2021 Escape order guide that ice-capades posted, it mentions this on Page 1. 

MECHANICAL HIGHLIGHTS

● Hybrid Powertrain is now available on SE, SEL and standard on Titanium

● SelectShift® with Paddle Shifters has been deleted from all Series

8 minutes ago, 92merc said:

I do hope with the refresh, the exterior looks more like the Chinese version.  I prefer that to the US version, exterior wise.  Interior I'm fine with.

If you look at Titanium inventory, 99% are hybrid with 2.0 very hard to find. Since hybrid is now going to SEL too, seems as though Ford is planning on producing more. So hybrid is standard on Titanium unless you order 2.0. Good luck with finding one with towing package. Btw, anyone know what new for 2021 Titanium Elite is?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, FordBuyer said:

Btw, anyone know what new for 2021 Titanium Elite is?

Titanium Elite package includes these features. MSRP of the package is $2,850.

• 19" Luster Nickel-painted Aluminum Wheel
  • Floor Mats – Front and Rear with Embroidered Escape Logo
  • Front and Rear Skid Plates – Silver
  • Grille – Upper Chrome 5-Bar w/Chrome Surround
  • Head-Up Display
  • Leather-Trimmed Seats with Mini-Perforation
  • Leather-Wrapped Steering Wheel
  • Panoramic Vista Roof® (Power Open/Close with Power Shade)
  • Wireless Charging Pad

Here is a photo of 19" Luster Nickel-painted Aluminum Wheel. It's similar in design to the optional wheel for Ford Kuga Vignale in Europe.

06a9618c-35ca-3b1b-ae19-297c4f6027d2.jpg

Edited by rperez817

1 hour ago, rperez817 said:

Titanium Elite package includes these features. MSRP of the package is $2,850.

• 19" Luster Nickel-painted Aluminum Wheel
  • Floor Mats – Front and Rear with Embroidered Escape Logo
  • Front and Rear Skid Plates – Silver
  • Grille – Upper Chrome 5-Bar w/Chrome Surround
  • Head-Up Display
  • Leather-Trimmed Seats with Mini-Perforation
  • Leather-Wrapped Steering Wheel
  • Panoramic Vista Roof® (Power Open/Close with Power Shade)
  • Wireless Charging Pad

Here is a photo of 19" Luster Nickel-painted Aluminum Wheel. It's similar in design to the optional wheel for Ford Kuga Vignale in Europe.

06a9618c-35ca-3b1b-ae19-297c4f6027d2.jpg

Thanks rperez...you are the man! So basically an appearance package. Similar to the premium package on my SE Sport that makes the Escape much better looking. Now the SE needs an appearance package to spiff things up. The SE wheels really make the Escape look bargain basement. Ford did appearance packages on the previous generation SE Escape and they seemed popular. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, FordBuyer said:

Thanks rperez...you are the man! So basically an appearance package. Similar to the premium package on my SE Sport that makes the Escape much better looking. Now the SE needs an appearance package to spiff things up. The SE wheels really make the Escape look bargain basement. Ford did appearance packages on the previous generation SE Escape and they seemed popular. 

You're welcome FordBuyer sir! Totally agree that the standard 17" wheels on Escape SE look cheap and dorky. Good news - 2021 Escape now offers a new "SE Sport Appearance Package" for both the 1.5L and hybrid versions. MSRP is $1,295.

SE Sport Appearance Package

• 19” Machined-face Ebony-painted Aluminum Wheel
  • Black Upper Window Molding with Black Beltline Molding
  • Front and Rear Bumpers – Black
  • Grille Upper – Gloss Black 5-Bar w/Chrome Surround
  • Mirrors – High Gloss Black-Skull Caps

Picture of 19" Machined-face Ebony-painted Aluminum Wheel.

917f3f09-4d16-30f4-a48c-59f7716fb6d3.jpg

Edited by rperez817
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, FordBuyer said:

If you look at Titanium inventory, 99% are hybrid with 2.0 very hard to find. Since hybrid is now going to SEL too, seems as though Ford is planning on producing more. So hybrid is standard on Titanium unless you order 2.0. Good luck with finding one with towing package. Btw, anyone know what new for 2021 Titanium Elite is?

My local dealers actually have NO Titanium's on the lot.  Using cargurus.com, I have to go out 250 miles to find any.

I'm not looking to replace my 2013 Escape just yet.  But given the hybrid costs about the same, I can lose a little HP vs. my 2.0EB to gain some MPG.

1 hour ago, 92merc said:

My local dealers actually have NO Titanium's on the lot.  Using cargurus.com, I have to go out 250 miles to find any.

I'm not looking to replace my 2013 Escape just yet.  But given the hybrid costs about the same, I can lose a little HP vs. my 2.0EB to gain some MPG.

You will gain a lot more than "some". How about twice as much. We were averaging about 26 mpg with our Subaru Crosstrek in urban driving with lots of long waiting stop lights, and now average 50mpg with our hybrid Escape in same urban driving. Over 600 miles on 14 gallon tank.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rperez817 said:

You're welcome FordBuyer sir! Totally agree that the standard 17" wheels on Escape SE look cheap and dorky. Good news - 2021 Escape now offers a new "SE Sport Appearance Package" for both the 1.5L and hybrid versions. MSRP is $1,295.

SE Sport Appearance Package

• 19” Machined-face Ebony-painted Aluminum Wheel
  • Black Upper Window Molding with Black Beltline Molding
  • Front and Rear Bumpers – Black
  • Grille Upper – Gloss Black 5-Bar w/Chrome Surround
  • Mirrors – High Gloss Black-Skull Caps

Picture of 19" Machined-face Ebony-painted Aluminum Wheel.

917f3f09-4d16-30f4-a48c-59f7716fb6d3.jpg

Now that's more like it. That will help SE sales a lot as you get a lot of bang for the buck. I would imagine Ford will be showing off the 2021 Escape with appearance packages sometime in Feb.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, bravestar said:

The exterior looks like one of the vehicles in the Cars movie, the interior looks cheap and there is very little sound deadening in my opinion. Who would think that this would be a recipe for success?  The Bronco Sport with its more traditional SUV styling is really the new Escape. The one they are marketing looks like a tall six year old Focus, again in my opinion and it appears the market agrees. 

I called it a "Fail" when I first saw it and caught a lot of cr*p on here for it. Everybody on here is calling the hybrid the "Hail Mary" for this vehicle. This is a giant "we will see".

Edited by CKNSLS
  • Like 3

48 minutes ago, CKNSLS said:

I called it a "Fail" when I first saw it and caught a lot of cr*p on here for it. Everybody on here is calling the hybrid the "Hail Mary" for this vehicle. This is a giant "we will see".

You were correct all along CKNSLS sir. The good news for Ford is that Jim Hackett's "design thinking" philosophy is getting traction within the company. Design thinking should definitely help creating products that are more appealing and customer centered. 

I think in a few years, Ford will have many more "hits" than "misses", and that Ford's reputation of putting out cheap and nasty products will finally start to wane. 

• Like 2

What is it you like about the new Escape over your Edge?  The Edge has more comfortable seats, quieter interior, better ride, more luxurious interior.  I do believe the 1.5L 3 cylinder engine is far more responsive and has better fuel economy than the 2.0 Edge engine that surges on light acceleration. It has a too aggressive throttle tip in. 3.5 V-6 was a smoother engine with similar fuel economy. 

• Like 1

On 12/29/2020 at 9:41 PM, akirby said:

It won’t get great mpg even with a hybrid.  It’s just not aero efficient.

As is they’ll sell about 175K.  200K should be easy with more hybrids.  That in addition to Bronco Sport is hardly a failure.  They could easily see 350k combined sales.  Sacrificing one or the other is silly.

Agreed. Different CUVs for different people. IF I were to buy a compact CUV, I would choose an Escape and wouldn't even consider a Bronco Sport. I'm not a fan of boxy styling. But they did away with the paddle shifters for 2021, ugh.

• Like 1