Automotive News First Shift: Product hits and misses of 2020

2 hours ago, rperez817 said:

Consumer Reports gave Escape SE Sport Hybrid a higher road test score than either RAV4 XLE Hybrid or CR-V EX Hybrid.

• Escape SE Sport Hybrid, 82 out of 100
  • CR-V EX Hybrid, 80 out of 100
  • RAV4 XLE Hybrid, 76 out of 100

Escape had the most improvement from choosing the hybrid powertrain. CR-V actually rated worse with its hybrid setup compared to the regular non-hybrid version.

Thanks for your usual, timely informative input rperez.

Now for the constant, negative commenst about interior quality materials used in Ford vehicles like the Escape.

My previous 2017 Crosstrek with Limited trim after 3 years showed significant wear and tear, especially the front leather seats and center gear shift console. That tells me the material quality was not durable.

Ditto for my Boxster as seats, scuff plates, and center console did not wear well. And it was a $50,000+ vehicle. The iconic 3 round gauges instrument panel is the only outstanding feature of any Porsche interior. And maybe the steering wheel and road feel through it. And I'm still looking at getting another Boxster as interior quality is not what Porsche is about. However, the 987 definitely has better looking interior than my 986. But no better durability meaning quality and look are not the same.

So far 9 months later and 2 drivers driving Escape everyday, no wear signs so far. We will see in 2+ years what the seats and center console look like. Then we will know how durable the material quality is. Durability and quality are synonymous to me.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, rperez817 said:

Consumer Reports gave Escape SE Sport Hybrid a higher road test score than either RAV4 XLE Hybrid or CR-V EX Hybrid.

• Escape SE Sport Hybrid, 82 out of 100
  • CR-V EX Hybrid, 80 out of 100
  • RAV4 XLE Hybrid, 76 out of 100

Escape had the most improvement from choosing the hybrid powertrain. CR-V actually rated worse with its hybrid setup compared to the regular non-hybrid version.

Another reason why Ford needs to put more marketing muscle into Escape hybrid and relaunch the PHEV... it is that good.

The regular gas engine version could use some update but the hybrid is Ford's ace and they need to play that hand more confidently. 

• Like 1

We all get how it works-on just about any  vehicle specific forums. When Car and Driver, Motor Trend, etc., says your car is the best-it's all giggles. And it's all frowns and "unfair" when it places below the competition in other instances. Mean while-the market is liking the sharp creases of the other models and not the "Retro Taurus" look of the new Escape.

And as I mentioned previously we will see if the Hybrid is the "Hail Mary" pass to win the segment. Personally I doubt it whiteout a "refresh".

Edited by CKNSLS
  • Like 1

I mean Ford's got to do both... a refresh is necessary to get rid of some chintzy cheap looking details and align it more like the European ST-Line, the Vignale, and the Chinese Escape. And in the meanwhile, Ford should try to establish Escape as the go to choice for hybrid in this segment. Take advantage of a rare mis by Honda and do it before Hyundai, Mazda, Subaru, and Nissan can enter the fray. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, CKNSLS said:

And as I mentioned previously we will see if the Hybrid is the "Hail Mary" pass to win the segment. Personally I doubt it whiteout a "refresh".

Yes sir CKNSLS. Expanding availability of hybrid powertrain (which Ford is doing for 2021 model year) combined with a styling refresh inside and out is necessary for Escape to achieve sales and market share growth.

Styling wise, as bzcat suggested a good starting point would be for North American Escape to use the design elements of the Chinese Escape and higher end versions of European Kuga, both interior and exterior.

Edited by rperez817
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, bzcat said:

I mean Ford's got to do both... a refresh is necessary to get rid of some chintzy cheap looking details and align it more like the European ST-Line, the Vignale, and the Chinese Escape. And in the meanwhile, Ford should try to establish Escape as the go to choice for hybrid in this segment. Take advantage of a rare mis by Honda and do it before Hyundai, Mazda, Subaru, and Nissan can enter the fray. 

Some of you posters exaggerate way too much about Escape negatives. You can basically buy the SE for $24,000 and for that money the SE is fine. Maybe some better wheel options, appearance package, and redesigned door cards.

For the Titanium, get rid of the fake wood interior trim and the door cards. For the SEL, auto dimming and outside mirror turn signal lights should be standard. Other than those minor changes, and remember Ford is offering new appearance package on Titanium and expanding hybrid lineup significantly.

So my only criticism is no appearance package for SE 1.5. At least offer the premium package on the SE 1.5. $2,700 for all you get is a good deal.

16 minutes ago, FordBuyer said:

So my only criticism is no appearance package for SE 1.5.

That's fixed for 2021 model year. 2021 Escape SE 1.5L can be equipped with SE Sport Appearance Package for $1,295.

SE Sport Appearance Package

• 19” Machined-face Ebony-painted Aluminum Wheel
  • Black Upper Window Molding with Black Beltline Molding
  • Front and Rear Bumpers – Black
  • Grille Upper – Gloss Black 5-Bar w/Chrome Surround
  • Mirrors – High Gloss Black-Skull Caps

Picture of 19" Machined-face Ebony-painted Aluminum Wheel.

917f3f09-4d16-30f4-a48c-59f7716fb6d3.jpg

17 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

That's fixed for 2021 model year. 2021 Escape SE 1.5L can be equipped with SE Sport Appearance Package for $1,295.

You are so timely rperez with your on point info. So Ford is on it and fixed a lot of issues with low cost appearance package. The new wheel, tire package alone is worth well more than $1,000. Good deal for consumers plus they get a better looking vehicle. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

side%20view%20Ford%20Kuga%20ST-%20Line%2

I think those are the kuga st line wheels. They look to be an improvement over all the wheels offered on the current escape, including the titanium or sel. I’m not sure how black front and rear bumpers will look. Surely the whole bumpers won’t be black as that would look pretty dumb. Hopefully its just some nice trim pieces. the grille sounds like a version on the kuga as well. That grille is the exact opposite of sporty. Hopefully it’s not just a black version of that.

Ford%20Kuga%20UK%202020-13.jpg
They already have the perfect sport appearance package, I’m not sure why they don’t just use this. The grille looks better and the area around the fog lights is a vast improvement.

ford_kuga_review_50.jpg

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, T-dubz said:

side%20view%20Ford%20Kuga%20ST-%20Line%2

I think those are the kuga st line wheels. They look to be an improvement over all the wheels offered on the current escape, including the titanium or sel. I’m not sure how black front and rear bumpers will look. Surely the whole bumpers won’t be black as that would look pretty dumb. Hopefully its just some nice trim pieces. the grille sounds like a version on the kuga as well. That grille is the exact opposite of sporty. Hopefully it’s not just a black version of that.

Ford%20Kuga%20UK%202020-13.jpg
They already have the perfect sport appearance package, I’m not sure why they don’t just use this. The grille looks better and the area around the fog lights is a vast improvement.

ford_kuga_review_50.jpg

No way is Ford going to redesign the nose clip right now...that will come with a refresh in a couple years. Appearance packages and new paint choices will be it and unfortunately decontenting. Hard to believe Farley is going to let the notorious bean counters be dominant again. 

9 minutes ago, FordBuyer said:

No way is Ford going to redesign the nose clip right now...that will come with a refresh in a couple years. Appearance packages and new paint choices will be it and unfortunately decontenting. Hard to believe Farley is going to let the notorious bean counters be dominant again. 

you are probably right. In my mind it seems simple to just get the bumper molds from Europe and then start using them here but I’m sure it’s quite a bit more complicated then that ?

On 1/5/2021 at 4:00 PM, fuzzymoomoo said:

Where else are you going to put it? 

It depends how much I'm allowed to change up the panels, but I would like to question would what's preventing from having a nice flat surface in the center, including a flat-surface wood panel which would give much better chance to place the start-stop button that I've circled.

If there is no intention to change any of the contour, then I guess we're stuck where we're at, but I don't think I've seen a button that faces inward-diagonally like that in any other vehicles, including other Fords. 

image.png.947ac6f02562dbfa37eb0c961c2f5db7.png

I can’t remember the vehicle, but I saw a picture of one with the start button  in the center console. I think the area right below the shifter dial where the other buttons are would be a good place. With that said, I think the placement of the current button isn’t a big deal. I think it looks harder to get to in pictures then it actually is. When I drove an escape, I didn’t notice it at all.

I've been an interested reader up to now but we also bought a 2020 Escape Titanium Hybrid. I had read the criticism of the start-stop button placement but I'll say in daily (or not daily given the pandemic) driving I don't notice it and don't find it awkward. I agree the car's exterior looks cheaper than it should - the masses of black on the top trim level are not good. The interior (at least in the Titanium with leather and leather steering wheel) is decent but could look better. Quality seems good so far. 

The car is great to drive - we also have a 2014 C-MAx and the improvements in the drive experience over that are significant. This Ford hybrid platform has been reliable overall and I do think the hybrid is the best choice for drivetrain overall. Making it an option for the both the SE and SEL trims for 2021 seems like a smart choice. The decontenting on the other hand...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, T-dubz said:

I can’t remember the vehicle, but I saw a picture of one with the start button  in the center console. I think the area right below the shifter dial where the other buttons are would be a good place. With that said, I think the placement of the current button isn’t a big deal. I think it looks harder to get to in pictures then it actually is. When I drove an escape, I didn’t notice it at all.

That's right...after 9 months of driving mine I don't notice it at all. Much ado about nothing.

As for the door card, I'm not in love with mine. But they are very durable. My wife opens door with her feet and scuffs the hell out of them. Scuff marks clean up nicely while on my Crosstrek with better looking door cards did not. Couldn't get the scuff marks out. Would probably take a very good auto detailer. The door sills on my Boxster also had permanent scuff marks.

9 minutes ago, dmshurz said:

I've been an interested reader up to now but we also bought a 2020 Escape Titanium Hybrid. I had read the criticism of the start-stop button placement but I'll say in daily (or not daily given the pandemic) driving I don't notice it and don't find it awkward. I agree the car's exterior looks cheaper than it should - the masses of black on the top trim level are not good. The interior (at least in the Titanium with leather and leather steering wheel) is decent but could look better. Quality seems good so far. 

The car is great to drive - we also have a 2014 C-MAx and the improvements in the drive experience over that are significant. This Ford hybrid platform has been reliable overall and I do think the hybrid is the best choice for drivetrain overall. Making it an option for the both the SE and SEL trims for 2021 seems like a smart choice. The decontenting on the other hand...

The decontenting by Ford bean counters is very frustrating and enough to just give up on the company. Like get it over with and just become a pickup van company. Decontenting will eventually come to Bronco family also. Sorry, but auto dimming, fog lights, and mirror turn signal lights are safety items and should be standard on mid trim level Ford's priced at $30,000+ .

2 hours ago, akirby said:

How is that even possible?

You unlatch/open the door-then push the bottom of the door with your foot. It's not hard. If I pickup food or something that makes my hands full-I do the same thing.

Edited by CKNSLS
more info

15 minutes ago, CKNSLS said:

You unlatch/open the door-then push the bottom of the door with your foot. It's not hard. If I pickup food or something that makes my hands full-I do the same thing.

If you can open the door then you can push it open with the same hand.  Just seems like it would be hard to get your foot far enough back to get enough leverage.

3 hours ago, FordBuyer said:

Sorry, but auto dimming, fog lights, and mirror turn signal lights are safety items and should be standard on mid trim level Ford's priced at $30,000+ .

Yes sir FordBuyer, totally agree. Another notable omission is one touch auto-up power windows on 2020 and 2021 Escape SE. Previous generation Ford Escape SE had that feature standard.