Solid Power (ownership stake by Ford) Announces More Progress on Solid State Batteries

Ford would appear to have interesting options if the decision is made to manufacture batteries. Solid Power, a company in which Ford have an investment stake (along with BMW and others) has made solid progress (pun intended) on solid state batteries:

The company said it is now producing 20 amp-hour (Ah) multi-layer solid state lithium metal batteries. The 330 Wh/kg, 22-layer cells have higher energy density than any commercially available lithium-ion battery manufactured today according to the company. It says it expects its batteries to exceed 400 Wh/kg by 2022.

That’s great news, but here’s the exciting part. Solid Power solid state cells can be manufactured at commercial scale using industry standard lithium-ion roll-to-roll production equipment. The 20 Ah cells are currently being validated by Solid Power’s automotive partners, including Ford and BMW. Other investors in the company include Hyundai, Volta Energy, Solvay, and Samsung. Solid Power has already shipped more than 400 prototype solid state cells to external parties for independent performance validation and expects to begin the formal automotive qualification process with even larger capacity solid state battery cells in early 2022.

https://cleantechnica.com/2020/12/11/solid-state-batteries-theyre-everywhere-theyre-everywhere/

Edited by Harley Lover
  • Like 6

10 hours ago, probowler said:

Do you guys forsee a future where the road itself provides an electrical charge capable of wirelessly charging and powering electric vehicles, or is that too science fiction?

I could imagine a parking spot or garage floor that is engineered to wirelessly charge an EV while parked there.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, twintornados said:

I could imagine a parking spot or garage floor that is engineered to wirelessly charge an EV while parked there.

Agreed.  Entire roads would be large infrastructure improvement not worth the cost.  Maybe on limited high traffic routes....but upgrading a rail line to use electric might be a more cost effective option.  One of the reasons I think government should step back and let business compete for the best solutions.

I recall Qualcomm having some sort of wireless car charging pad.  Efficiency wasn’t great, but it sure would be convenient to pull into a spot, have the car charging while running an errand, and automatically billed to your account.  Infrastructure like that would make smaller/cheaper battery packs more desirable for commuting and local errands.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, probowler said:

Do you guys forsee a future where the road itself provides an electrical charge capable of wirelessly charging and powering electric vehicles, or is that too science fiction?

With smaller and lighter weight batteries/capacitors, it may also be possible to incorporate more and different sources of regenerative power within vehicles. Some suspect suspensions could also be used to generate power (in addition to braking systems, which have been doing this for many years).  It may also be easier to incorporate solar type arrays into body panels. 

4 hours ago, Donaldo said:

With smaller and lighter weight batteries/capacitors, it may also be possible to incorporate more and different sources of regenerative power within vehicles. Some suspect suspensions could also be used to generate power (in addition to braking systems, which have been doing this for many years).  It may also be easier to incorporate solar type arrays into body panels. 

Regenerative shocks?  That would be pretty cool.... but I think good shocks are already too expensive, I'd hate to see the price on those puppies!

On 12/31/2020 at 8:55 PM, probowler said:

It's a little different than what you're talking about, but I recall reading some time back about different companies working on "solar roads", i.e., the roads were also solar panels.  I remember one of the biggest issues they were having was durability with traffic going over it and cells getting dirty.  They'd likely have similar issues with what you're talking about.

• 1 year later...