F Series Going Back To Steel

1 hour ago, akirby said:

Does Aluminum contribute to Ford's huge advantage in F150 payload vs. Ram and Silvererra?  It's roughly 3K to 2K lbs.

This advantage for F-150 is due to the availability of "Heavy Duty Payload Package" with certain configurations, not the use of aluminum. The package (option code 627 in the 2021 F-150 order guide) includes upgraded springs, tires, and wheels, as well as a heavier duty leaf suspension. GM and FCA LD full size pickup trucks don't offer a similar package.

1 hour ago, rperez817 said:

This advantage for F-150 is due to the availability of "Heavy Duty Payload Package" with certain configurations, not the use of aluminum. The package (option code 627 in the 2021 F-150 order guide) includes upgraded springs, tires, and wheels, as well as a heavier duty leaf suspension. GM and FCA LD full size pickup trucks don't offer a similar package.

huh? Reduce the unladen weight of the vehicle and assuming it has the right specs, the payload goes up

• Like 1

3 hours ago, akirby said:

Does Aluminum contribute to Ford's huge advantage in F150 payload vs. Ram and Silvererra?  It's roughly 3K to 2K lbs.

I think aluminum is a factor, but the F-150 payload package is probably more of one.  Nonetheless, I think aluminum is more of a benefit for the F-150 than the Super Duty.  BTW- that F-150 payload package reminds me of the old '7700' package on the F-150's back in 2000.

1 hour ago, Bob Rosadini said:

Reduce the unladen weight of the vehicle and assuming it has the right specs, the payload goes up

Yes sir Bob Rosadini. Unladen weight (curb weight) of F-150 is close to that for comparable GM and FCA full size LD pickup trucks. Payload for F-150 without "Heavy Duty Payload Package" is very close to a comparable Silverado or Sierra. Ram 1500 has lower payload primarily due to the use of rear coil spring or air suspension. 

Examples.

• 2021 F-150 SuperCrew 4x4 5.0L V8 6.5 ft bed. Curb weight 5,014 lbs., payload 2,135 lbs.
  • 2021 Silverado Crew Cab 4x4 5.3L V8 with DFM 6.6 ft bed. Curb weight 5,140 lbs, payload 2,120 lbs.
  • 2021 Ram 1500 Crew Cab 4x4 5.7L V8 6.4 ft bed. Curb weight 4,989 lbs, payload 1,810 lbs. 
Edited by rperez817

8 hours ago, 7Mary3 said:

I think aluminum is a factor, but the F-150 payload package is probably more of one.  Nonetheless, I think aluminum is more of a benefit for the F-150 than the Super Duty.  BTW- that F-150 payload package reminds me of the old '7700' package on the F-150's back in 2000.

Before that it was the non-super duty F250.  Then it became the 7700GVW f150 and now the heavy duty payload package.  The payload numbers went up across the board when the aluminum ‘15 was introduced.  Ford was 300-400 lbs heavier than the competition and went to several hundred pounds lighter.  It paid off in better payload, fuel economy, and performance.  Combined with the ecoboost engines, Ford has been able to beat the cafe requirements even with high volumes of 4x4s including raptors.  Aluminum and ecoboost changed the game for Ford.  No more convincing customers to take 4x2 n/a 6 cyl or 4.6l v8 to ward off buying credits from Tesla.

7 hours ago, rperez817 said:

Yes sir Bob Rosadini. Unladen weight (curb weight) of F-150 is close to that for comparable GM and FCA full size LD pickup trucks. Payload for F-150 without "Heavy Duty Payload Package" is very close to a comparable Silverado or Sierra. Ram 1500 has lower payload primarily due to the use of rear coil spring or air suspension. 

Examples.

• 2021 F-150 SuperCrew 4x4 5.0L V8 6.5 ft bed. Curb weight 5,014 lbs., payload 2,135 lbs.
  • 2021 Silverado Crew Cab 4x4 5.3L V8 with DFM 6.6 ft bed. Curb weight 5,140 lbs, payload 2,120 lbs.
  • 2021 Ram 1500 Crew Cab 4x4 5.7L V8 6.4 ft bed. Curb weight 4,989 lbs, payload 1,810 lbs. 

that’s after GM and Ram did extensive weight reductions.  Keep in mind Ford started out several hundred pounds heavier back in 2014.  Ford needed big gains to leap ahead and aluminum provided the answer at the time.  Options can make a substantial difference in curb weight.  Without knowing what was compared, it is hard to tell how Ford stands from your examples.  Certainly seems closer than it was in 2015.

• Like 1

Interesting sidebar, Navistar has dropped all aluminum cabs on International trucks for 2021.  I am told they did this because their old aluminum cab was expensive to manufacture and didn't offer a weight advantage over their high strength steel cab.  Supposedly they also feel their steel cab is just as resistant to corrosion as their aluminum cab was.  Rumor is Line-X will be supplying an undercoat for the steel cab.  

On 1/6/2021 at 12:58 PM, 7Mary3 said:

I think the aluminum Superduty is not very attractive...actually, it killed my desire to buy a new truck.

I'm hoping my 2021 Superduty body will be less prone to corrosion vs.  my 2014 Superduty which did not hold up well to rust on both frame & underside of the body & pickup bed.  I took real care to keep clean but its a loosing battle in winters here the northeast ...  

I also own a 2016 Peterbilt 579 which has an aluminum cab.  335,000 miles on the truck , no corrosion on cab and the body integrity has held up as well as any all steel truck I have owned ..

Edited by usedboxman

On 1/7/2021 at 11:21 AM, 7Mary3 said:

Interesting sidebar, Navistar has dropped all aluminum cabs on International trucks for 2021.  I am told they did this because their old aluminum cab was expensive to manufacture and didn't offer a weight advantage over their high strength steel cab.  Supposedly they also feel their steel cab is just as resistant to corrosion as their aluminum cab was.  Rumor is Line-X will be supplying an undercoat for the steel cab.  

That's probably how Navistar pays for their outrageously high warranty costs vs. every other OTR tractor manufacturer.  

On 1/7/2021 at 8:24 PM, 351cid said:

I think the aluminum Superduty is not very attractive...actually, it killed my desire to buy a new truck.

I think you're in the minority, most people I know consider the Aluma-duty the best looking HD on the market.  

• Like 1

What did Ford do with the F150 bodies to prevent aluminum corrosion that they didn't do on the hoods and tailgates of other vehicles referenced here?  I haven't heard any nightmares on F150 panel corrosion.  Also regarding vehicles weights, I remember folks saying that they were able to add additional feature and content to vehicles due to the lower weight of the body shell. i.e large sunroofs, electronics. etc.

39 minutes ago, buddysystem said:

What did Ford do with the F150 bodies to prevent aluminum corrosion that they didn't do on the hoods and tailgates of other vehicles referenced here?  I haven't heard any nightmares on F150 panel corrosion.  Also regarding vehicles weights, I remember folks saying that they were able to add additional feature and content to vehicles due to the lower weight of the body shell. i.e large sunroofs, electronics. etc.

I know the Mustang hoods were stamped at a different facility.

2 hours ago, 7Mary3 said:

That was due to the MaxxForce engine debacle.  they are getting better.

I work for a company with over 5000 trucks in service with a fairly even mix between International LT (Cummins X15), Freightliner Cascadia (DD15), Volvo VNL760 (D13), and Kenworth T680 (Cummins X15). 

I can assure you Navistar keeps making sales because of the extended warranty, warranty kickbacks/spiffs and warranty coverage in general.  .

The Internationals operating CPM and down time numbers far and away worst in the fleet, the only reason they make any financial sense is because of warranty and lower purchase price.  

The Internationals are also traded off at a younger age than the other trucks due to their overall lack of quality.  

The quality issues extend far beyond MaxxForce/N13.  

My point being that highlighting what Navistar does in their OTR tractors is not the benchmark you want Ford or anyone else to follow.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ESP08 said:

I work for a company with over 5000 trucks in service with a fairly even mix between International LT (Cummins X15), Freightliner Cascadia (DD15), Volvo VNL760 (D13), and Kenworth T680 (Cummins X15). 

I can assure you Navistar keeps making sales because of the extended warranty, warranty kickbacks/spiffs and warranty coverage in general.  .

The Internationals operating CPM and down time numbers far and away worst in the fleet, the only reason they make any financial sense is because of warranty and lower purchase price.  

The Internationals are also traded off at a younger age than the other trucks due to their overall lack of quality.  

My point being that highlighting what Navistar does in their OTR tractors is not the benchmark you want Ford or anyone else to follow.  

So Internationals are X15's same as KW's but much higher CPM.  Safe to conclude then it is the rest of the truck?  And for sure they are Cummins and not A26?

Guessing the DD15's are the lowest cost?

5 hours ago, ESP08 said:

Interesting.  Our fleet is pretty much exclusively Freightliner for heavy duty, we have not bought many Internationals lately.  Some of my peers with other fleets have been saying good things about the International HV and HX lately 

2 hours ago, 7Mary3 said:

Interesting.  Our fleet is pretty much exclusively Freightliner for heavy duty, we have not bought many Internationals lately.  Some of my peers with other fleets have been saying good things about the International HV and HX lately 

I was a life long International/Navistar owner... after being burned by Maxxforce  disaster.  i'll never go back... EGR coolers / valves/ turbo's  every 100,000 miles ... owned the maxxforce for 3 years and it was in the shop for warranty work for 19 months of that time.

19 hours ago, Bob Rosadini said:

So Internationals are X15's same as KW's but much higher CPM.  Safe to conclude then it is the rest of the truck?  And for sure they are Cummins and not A26?

Guessing the DD15's are the lowest cost?

Internationals and Kenworth use largely the same Cummins X15 in our fleet with only superficial differences.  We've totally moved away from any Paccar or Navistar engines.   

Yes, the downtime is because of the rest of the truck.  

DD15s indeed have the lowest operating cost and least down time.   

Edited by ESP08

Very interesting discussion on going back to steel on the F150.

I do remember the 7700 lb package ford offered on the F150 with the seven lug nut rims!

And yes, their old generation f150 truck was  significantly heavier than  Chevy C/K 1500. The new steels available today were not available in 2013-2015 so Ford had to use aluminum to get the weight out!

In the future, ford has a choice to either refine the process of making the aluminum cab hoping to take cost out or going back to a steel cab with aluminum enclosures like the current gm pickups.

somehow, ford has to make more profit per truck to get the ford common share price up and the dividend yield up for all the institutional investors.

It just might be refine ecoboost on V6 2.7 and 3.5 by going to a hot V with one turbo instead of two and doing some steel substitution in the next F150 redesign.

edselford

19 minutes ago, edselford said:

In the future, ford has a choice to either refine the process of making the aluminum cab hoping to take cost out or going back to a steel cab with aluminum enclosures like the current gm pickups.

Ford's success using a mixed materials approach for 2020 Explorer and 2020 Escape means they will likely do the same for the next gen F-Series. Hopefully that means steel cab and steel bed (with aluminum enclosures) for that vehicle.