2022 Ford Mondeo/Fusion Replacement-Ford Evos

I could get into this if it was offered in a high performance plug-in hybrid version. I'm not too crazy about driving an SUV and prefer cars. If they could offer this style with something along the lines of the Aviator GT engine configuration (high performance engine with plug-in), it could be a hit. Good efficiency for plodding around town or commuting and great performance when wanted.

2 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

The mule with the covered rear end above makes me wonder what is actually going on with the cargo area...it we are going the Evos route or will it have a more typical wagon/CUV roof line. 

It looks to have a fastback design. Someone mentioned the Honda Crosstour earlier. I think it will maybe be similar to that but look sportier maybe?

18 minutes ago, T-dubz said:

It looks to have a fastback design. Someone mentioned the Honda Crosstour earlier. I think it will maybe be similar to that but look sportier maybe?

I was actually thinking it might have something similar to the BMW X6...the greenhouse looks more sedan with a trunk (how floppy the the camo is back there) vs being a fast back design.

14 hours ago, AGR said:

Motor1 has posted a rendering. The interesting thing is not the rendering, but that they are implying there will be the crossover coupe AND an Outback-style wagon.

2022 Ford Mondeo Evos Rendered Into A High-Riding Fastback Four-Door (motor1.com)

I thought that might be a possibility as well... that Ford will end up making both fastback and squareback version of this car. 

If you look at Mondeo sales in Europe, it is roughly 60% wagon, 30% hatch, and 10% sedan. But I will say it again, I don't think Ford is thinking Outback specifically. This car is more or less an Edge replacement as well as Mondeo/Fusion replacement. If Ford is going to make a long roof square back version, it will look like a CUV.

2 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

I was actually thinking it might have something similar to the BMW X6...the greenhouse looks more sedan with a trunk (how floppy the the camo is back there) vs being a fast back design.

The low ride height points to it being more like BMW 3GT and 5GT rather than X4 or X6. 

Another car that comes to mind is Infiniti EX, which was a fastback G35 with wheel arch cladding. 

So far, based on the prototype, it looks like Ford's design is a lot more sophisticated than these earlier attempt at making a car-like CUV. 

1024px-INFINITI_EX37_rear.jpg

1024px-Infiniti_FX30d_GT_Premium_(J50)_%

Edited by bzcat

As long as the roof line isn't sloping so much the person sitting in the back seat doesn't have to tilt their head, I'm OK with either.

I will admit, if the Mach-E design was ICE with AWD, I'd be looking to purchase.

I just don't know if PHEVs are practical in the upper mid-west,.

With keeping a person warm in the winter driving probably kills the distance between charges, plus the cost of getting 220 AC installed in my garage, since my breaker box is on the other side of the house, my basement is finished with drywall ceilings etc.

4 hours ago, T-dubz said:

Ford authority is now questioning if this is the fusion. They think it could be some model that was for South America.

https://fordauthority.com/2021/01/is-this-really-the-2023-ford-fusion-active-or-something-entirely-different/

No way that prototype is anything that is for Brazil only. You can tell by the wheels it is suppose to be for a higher class of model that would sell in volume in Brazil. 

9 hours ago, jniffen said:

As long as the roof line isn't sloping so much the person sitting in the back seat doesn't have to tilt their head, I'm OK with either.

I will admit, if the Mach-E design was ICE with AWD, I'd be looking to purchase.

I just don't know if PHEVs are practical in the upper mid-west,.

With keeping a person warm in the winter driving probably kills the distance between charges, plus the cost of getting 220 AC installed in my garage, since my breaker box is on the other side of the house, my basement is finished with drywall ceilings etc.

Being from the upper Midwest I have the same concerns.  Current battery technology just doesn’t like cold temps.  I’d like some real hard data on how much energy is needed to keep the battery from being damaged in -25 to -40 temps...that still doesn’t touch the low temps seen in parts of MN, Canada, and Alaska.  I would be concerned about leaving an electric car at the airport for a 1-2week vacation in January.   Combine that with the amount of energy to keep the vehicle warm and any efficiency gains over gas could quickly be lost.  I recall needing to needing to drive slower on the interstate when it was below 0 just to keep the car warm inside.   The airflow over the car just sucked the heat right out such that I could feel it getting colder around the windows.

As for the charging station in your garage, trenching a line around the outside of the house might be a viable option.  Either one won’t be cheap and adds to the cost of owning an electric car.

Many of these scenarios are glossed over by the electric cars for everyone crowd.  But, they need to be taken seriously.

p.s.  Anyone have any experience with the new battery powered snow blowers in cold temps?  How do the batteries hold up?  My Royobi leaf blower struggled in the “cold” (45 degrees).

• Like 1

16 hours ago, slemke said:

Being from the upper Midwest I have the same concerns.  Current battery technology just doesn’t like cold temps.  I’d like some real hard data on how much energy is needed to keep the battery from being damaged in -25 to -40 temps...that still doesn’t touch the low temps seen in parts of MN, Canada, and Alaska.  I would be concerned about leaving an electric car at the airport for a 1-2week vacation in January.   Combine that with the amount of energy to keep the vehicle warm and any efficiency gains over gas could quickly be lost.  I recall needing to needing to drive slower on the interstate when it was below 0 just to keep the car warm inside.   The airflow over the car just sucked the heat right out such that I could feel it getting colder around the windows.

As for the charging station in your garage, trenching a line around the outside of the house might be a viable option.  Either one won’t be cheap and adds to the cost of owning an electric car.

Many of these scenarios are glossed over by the electric cars for everyone crowd.  But, they need to be taken seriously.

p.s.  Anyone have any experience with the new battery powered snow blowers in cold temps?  How do the batteries hold up?  My Royobi leaf blower struggled in the “cold” (45 degrees).

Don't worry. ICE vehicles will be around for many more decades. BEVs are not for everyone. No one even knows how many will eventually buy one. So far not many. Maybe 20% by 2035 and I think that is optimistic. Hybrids don't even make up 20% of new vehicle sales after many years.

• Like 1

On 1/16/2021 at 12:32 PM, ausrutherford said:

No way that prototype is anything that is for Brazil only. You can tell by the wheels it is suppose to be for a higher class of model that would sell in volume in Brazil. 

The prototype does seem a bit small for a Fusion replacement... however, also way too big to be something based on B2 platform. I'm really not sure what to make of it to be honest.

If we didn't know about Mondeo/Fusion active being an actual project, I would have guessed that this prototype is an "Escape/Kuga coupe" - basically imagine Ford Puma like vehicle but Kuga-size and using C2 platform. We just assumed this is Mondeo/Fusion...

On 1/17/2021 at 2:35 PM, FordBuyer said:

Don't worry. ICE vehicles will be around for many more decades. BEVs are not for everyone. No one even knows how many will eventually buy one. So far not many. Maybe 20% by 2035 and I think that is optimistic. Hybrids don't even make up 20% of new vehicle sales after many years.

I wouldn’t be worried if it was up to the free market.  But government meddling is a different story.  With California and the emission lemming states going all in on electric in the 2030s, I wonder what the market will look like.  Carve off too much volume and we won’t see much advancement in internal combustion engines or the vehicles they power.  Gas stations could be on their way to extinction due to lower volume and tougher environmental regulations.  Your V8 won’t be outlawed, but will be inconvenient and not worth the hassle to own.  No crystal ball, the pendulum could easily swing back and let the market decide the optimal solution.  Maybe resurrect the discussions on electric cars in 10, 15, and 20 years to see how the predictions pan out.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, bzcat said:

The prototype does seem a bit small for a Fusion replacement... however, also way too big to be something based on B2 platform. I'm really not sure what to make of it to be honest.

If we didn't know about Mondeo/Fusion active being an actual project, I would have guessed that this prototype is an "Escape/Kuga coupe" - basically imagine Ford Puma like vehicle but Kuga-size and using C2 platform. We just assumed this is Mondeo/Fusion...

Maybe it will slot in between the Escape/Kuga and Puma/Ecosport?

7 minutes ago, passis said:

Yes, you're right. BX784 was planned to replace the China-imported Territory in South America around 2022-2023.

Maybe they produce it in Mexico together with Maverick and BS and with that suv they replace Ecosport in North and South America,