2022 Ford Mondeo/Fusion Replacement-Ford Evos

On 1/16/2021 at 8:09 PM, slemke said:

Being from the upper Midwest I have the same concerns.  Current battery technology just doesn’t like cold temps.  I’d like some real hard data on how much energy is needed to keep the battery from being damaged in -25 to -40 temps...that still doesn’t touch the low temps seen in parts of MN, Canada, and Alaska.  I would be concerned about leaving an electric car at the airport for a 1-2week vacation in January.   Combine that with the amount of energy to keep the vehicle warm and any efficiency gains over gas could quickly be lost.  I recall needing to needing to drive slower on the interstate when it was below 0 just to keep the car warm inside.   The airflow over the car just sucked the heat right out such that I could feel it getting colder around the windows.

As for the charging station in your garage, trenching a line around the outside of the house might be a viable option.  Either one won’t be cheap and adds to the cost of owning an electric car.

Many of these scenarios are glossed over by the electric cars for everyone crowd.  But, they need to be taken seriously.

p.s.  Anyone have any experience with the new battery powered snow blowers in cold temps?  How do the batteries hold up?  My Royobi leaf blower struggled in the “cold” (45 degrees).

I see a large loss of range while riding my electric bicycle in below freezing temps. Just to play it safe, i charge after every ride during winter.

11 hours ago, CLTEcoBoost said:

A few folks are suggesting that the indoor photo shot  indicates a major revision to the Escape for '22 (and it's needed) and THAT'S what we're seeing.

The photo appears to be a production ready vehicle. There’s no way that ford could have moved that fast. 

• 2 weeks later...

Latest rendering... this guy does the rendering for all the major car magazines and websites. He normally has inside scoop on what the car actually looks like so his rendering are generally pretty on point. The shape is pretty conventional.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CK37LHSp2cd/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

50909019312_c2a64cc878_c.jpg

Edited by bzcat
  • Like 3

50 minutes ago, bzcat said:

Latest rendering... this guy does the rendering for all the major car magazines and websites. He normally has inside scoop on what the car actually looks like so his rendering are generally pretty on point. The shape is pretty conventional.

Kinda getting a Puma vibe from it...

22 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

Kinda getting a Puma vibe from it...

I think that's the whole point. Puma has been a great sales success for Ford in Europe (118k sold in 2020 - pretty impressive when you consider it was launched during widespread EU COVID lockdown in spring of 2020). It is exactly what buyers in Europe wants.

If Mondeo end up exactly like Puma but bigger, it will probably be very successful too. Also note, a number of European brands are preparing similar D-segment vehicles as well so Ford is not alone. Citroen is bring back C5 but as a faux CUV like this. And VW has said the Passat sedan will not be replaced so next gen will be wagon only (which probably will get more CUV like).

Ford sold 15k Mondeo wagon and only 6k Mondeo hatch/sedan in Europe last year... so the new one doesn't have far to go to be considered a sales success. 

Edited by bzcat

It looks to me like the same old styling theme with the front fascia. It would be great to have a fresh idea instead of different variations of the same old. Nothing interesting. They nailed the Bronco and Bronco Sport.  It doesn’t have to be rugged, maybe just a more unique look for an all new vehicle. 

3 hours ago, bzcat said:

Looks like the current Escape's big brother to me.  I mean to the casual observer, non enthusiast, its just another sleek mid sized CUV grocery getter.  Not my thing, but as long as it sells well more power to them.

On 2/4/2021 at 4:10 PM, Tico said:

Looks like the current Escape's big brother to me.  I mean to the casual observer, non enthusiast, its just another sleek mid sized CUV grocery getter.  Not my thing, but as long as it sells well more power to them.

Price it between the Escape and Explorer. And offer it in hybrid/plugin form that gets exceptional fuel mileage and range. And ditch the Ecosport and bring over the Puma and offer it in hybrid/plug in form also. Get serious Ford and offer competitive vehicles. Hire a new team to do interiors and interior space volume that challenges Honda cargo room.

• Like 3

On 2/4/2021 at 12:37 PM, bzcat said:

I really like this.

stromberg

Another take on the Mondeo Evos... this time as a fastback rather than square back. But noticed some of the details are nearly identical - like the shape of the rear door and the placement of the fog lights, and the MACH E style fender bulge in the rear 1/4 panel. 

The article is suggesting the model name will be "Mondeo Evos". So maybe there is truth to another earlier suggestion that new Mondeo will have two body style: Evos fastback and Active square back.

Ford Europe has the following sub-model lines: Vignale, Active, Trail. Maybe it will add Evos as a new sub-model line for fastback with raised suspension.

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/ford/mondeo/354228/new-2022-ford-mondeo-radically-morph-suv

Ford%20Mondeo%20exclusive%20images-2.jpg

Ford%20Mondeo%20exclusive%20images.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bzcat said:

Another take on the Mondeo Evos... this time as a fastback rather than square back. But noticed some of the details are nearly identical - like the shape of the rear door and the placement of the fog lights, and the MACH E style fender bulge in the rear 1/4 panel. 

The article is suggesting the model name will be "Mondeo Evos". So maybe there is truth to another earlier suggestion that new Mondeo will have two body style: Evos fastback and Active square back.

Ford Europe has the following sub-model lines: Vignale, Active, Trail. Maybe it will add Evos as a new sub-model line for fastback with raised suspension.

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/ford/mondeo/354228/new-2022-ford-mondeo-radically-morph-suv

Ford%20Mondeo%20exclusive%20images-2.jpg

Ford%20Mondeo%20exclusive%20images.jpg

I like that overall.  I think the grille emblem should be larger, and there's something weird about the lower intake area, nor do I like the awkward square headlights in the bumper corners, but otherwise, I like it.