2022 Ford Mondeo/Fusion Replacement-Ford Evos

14 hours ago, Trader 10 said:

I would also, but is it Europe only?

Farley said Fusion will be replaced in North America. And Ford cancelling next gen Edge seemed to signal that Fusion will replace supplement Edge as the midsize CUV here. But Ford's plans have changed so much and so often that really, no one knows at this point.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Harley Lover said:

BZ, not doubting your info - when did this happen? I missed it completely!

So if the new Fusion is replacing Edge, does that mean that the EV twins to be built in Ohio are still planned? (I thought they might replace the Edge/Nautilus)?

It's a big question mark to outsiders trying to connect the dots right now.

Edge technically is scheduled out til 2024 I think it was, but there's reportedly been a stop on work on the next gen.  There's also the Fusion news, so people are connecting dots thinking it'll replace Edge (if we get Fusion, as that's been a debate itself).  But on a third track is the BEV news both at Ohio and Oakville, which could also mean Edge will just go BEV, hence why a C2 version would've been stopped.  For now, nobody seems to know for sure.

3 hours ago, Anthony said:

Pour one out for this guy....who was apparently before it's time.  ?

OOHOGEC1.jpg

Except that thing is ugly lol.

3 hours ago, Anthony said:

Pour one out for this guy....who was apparently before it's time.  ?

OOHOGEC1.jpg

The issue with that thing is that it was just too big/long for its own good to make it look good. The Acura version was even worse.

My Bro in law got a Suburu Outback and it looks decent for a station wagon LOL...I'd expect this to be roughly the same size 

7 hours ago, Harley Lover said:

BZ, not doubting your info - when did this happen? I missed it completely!

So if the new Fusion is replacing Edge, does that mean that the EV twins to be built in Ohio are still planned? (I thought they might replace the Edge/Nautilus)?

Next gen Edge was originally due in 2021. The decision Ford made was to keep building the current Edge skip the normal replacement cycle and go straight to EV replacement. The EV Edge will be due in 2023 or 24. The Ohio EV plan seems to have been cancelled, just like the Flat Rock AV plan. 

The original next gen Edge proposal was Ford US-driven CD6 based design and it didn't advance very far before being shelved, probably because the cost of retooling OAP to make CD6 was too high. Then Ford China and Europe came forward with competing C2 midsize CUV proposals and the European design was chosen and that became Mondeo Evos. It was around that time that Farley said Fusion sedan will be replaced by a CUV in the US, implying Mondeo Evos will come to the US. We didn't know it back then but in retrospect, that was also the time when Ford decided Edge will not have another direct ICE replacement. This was confirmed by the UNIFOR contract in 2020 which said Edge will continue past its normal sell-by date and go to late 2023. The Ford China C2 Edge design *may* have been revived as Ford Equator... if so, I can see why the European design won.

Edited by bzcat
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

The issue with that thing is that it was just too big/long for its own good to make it look good. The Acura version was even worse.

My Bro in law got a Suburu Outback and it looks decent for a station wagon LOL...I'd expect this to be roughly the same size 

The proportions were all wrong on the Crosstour. The rear 1/4 had too much vertical space and made the butt look huge. It's not just the Crosstour... that generation of Accord sedan was also ungainly with poor visual graphics. 

Concept was right but Honda didn't execute properly. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Harley Lover said:

Will the U.S. offering of Evos come from Mexico given its C2 chassis? 

Could be Hermosillo but they got Bronco Sport and Maverick already. Flat Rock is half empty because Continental is going away so maybe there. There is also the possibility that Ford may import it from Spain like they do with Transit Connect. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, akirby said:

Most likely Flat Rock unless it's too tall.

Wouldn't we have seen it mentioned in the UAW contract, though?

2 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

The Crosstour is a beauty queen vs is Acura stablemate

Image result for acura

There were certainly things I didn't like about it (namely the "beak" grille Acura was using at the time), but I actually didn't mind how those looked, and found the Crossturd far uglier.

9 hours ago, rmc523 said:

Wouldn't we have seen it mentioned in the UAW contract, though?

There were certainly things I didn't like about it (namely the "beak" grille Acura was using at the time), but I actually didn't mind how those looked, and found the Crossturd far uglier.

Ford did commit to try and find additional product for FRAP.  See page 1 and page 8. 

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://uaw.org/uaw-auto-bargaining/fordcontract/&ved=2ahUKEwiOj_zekOLuAhX0dM0KHaPMDmwQFjACegQIDxAC&usg=AOvVaw2VkshLeddQIN4zQT_8jqoT

Edited by Footballfan

• 1 month later...

This article seems to suggest the Mondeo name will be retires and not appear on the new midsize CUV

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/ford-mondeo-be-discontinued-march-2022-after-29-years

Ford has confirmed that it will end production of the Mondeo in March 2022 and that the model will not be replaced in Europe.

Edited by bzcat
  • Sad 1