2021 Front air deflector

Hi.

Do we know if 4x4 2021 F-250s now arriving will be able to use the prior model years' OEM 4x2 front air deflector? 

A popular change is to remove the very large 4x4 version and replace it with a 4x2 version which is smaller (or tremor even smaller yet) .  I have heard conflicting info that the 2021 does not match with prior year 4x2 deflectors, which seems strange to me.  I'd prefer the 4x2 version, not the tremor version.

Hope this makes sense

Edited by Izzy Mandelbaum

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Its larger because the 4x4 sits higher than the 4x2. Ford is trying to keep air from going under the truck by pushing some of it around to the sides to help increase gas mileage. The problem is that just about any place that requires 4 wheel drive makes the deflector drag. like deep snow, top of rocks, bushes, etc.

4 hours ago, Tom Slick said:

Its larger because the 4x4 sits higher than the 4x2. Ford is trying to keep air from going under the truck by pushing some of it around to the sides to help increase gas mileage. The problem is that just about any place that requires 4 wheel drive makes the deflector drag. like deep snow, top of rocks, bushes, etc.

thats what I was trying to work out in my little pea size brain was why Ford would want to decrease ground clearance on 4x4 truck.  I guess that makes sense, I guess Ford assumes most of us don't take them off road and it wont be a problem.

15 minutes ago, aboyles2002 said:

thats what I was trying to work out in my little pea size brain was why Ford would want to decrease ground clearance on 4x4 truck.  I guess that makes sense, I guess Ford assumes most of us don't take them off road and it wont be a problem.

I don't take my truck anywhere that I would really consider to be "off road" (dirt roads don't count for me).  However, there were plenty of times that I would try to move my travel trailer on my property and had to put the truck into 4 wheel drive because the rear wheels would just spin in the slick grass.

2 hours ago, aboyles2002 said:

How hard was it?  What did you trim it with?  Is there a contour line on it to follow?

There are several tutorials out there in random forums, but I just taped it off and used a Dremel. Go slowly or it will melt. I saw a loss of about 1mpg so I wouldn't do it again. 

15 minutes ago, jlc2022 said:

There are several tutorials out there in random forums, but I just taped it off and used a Dremel. Go slowly or it will melt. I saw a loss of about 1mpg so I wouldn't do it again. 

I dont want to lose 1 mpg...I didnt think it would have that much affect.  I think I will just leave mine as is.

• Like 1