Mach-E Delay

Ford has order tracking for people who reserved the Mach-E (my dealer screwed mine up, but that’s for another thread) yesterday many people in the forums received emails letting them know their Mach-E, some due within days, would be delayed two months. Stuff happens, and I want this to be a good launch, but if I was expecting the car I reserved a year ago next week only to be told yesterday it’s two months I’d be pissed. 

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, mackinaw said:

I wouldn't be happy either, but it looks like Ford is serious about improving quality. 

Yes sir mackinaw. My wife and I are willing to wait a little longer for our Mustang Mach-E First Edition. It's the first completely new or redesigned Ford product in its first model year we've purchased, and we acknowledged that it is likely to have its share of problems.

If Ford fixes some or most of these problems before customer order Mach-E ship to dealerships, that's definitely a good thing.

2 hours ago, snooter said:

There goes the mustang name-plate to the garbage pile due to that lectric crap pile....thank you ford for destroying the stang name

I bought my first Mustang in 1974 and still own one. I can also see myself owning a Mach-E one day too. Not understanding why so many folks get their shorts all twisted up over this.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, rperez817 said:

Mach-E enhances the Mustang name. It's the first step in making Mustang a successful sub-brand for Ford.

Sport coupe market is not exactly growing. So Ford had to do something as the Sport coupe market slowly shrinks. Even Porsche understood that they had to do more than the 911 to survive. So brilliant move by Ford to expand the Mustang lineup into a growing segment. Being compared favorably to the Model Y is not a negative. 

• Like 5

6 hours ago, FordBuyer said:

Sport coupe market is not exactly growing. So Ford had to do something as the Sport coupe market slowly shrinks. Even Porsche understood that they had to do more than the 911 to survive. So brilliant move by Ford to expand the Mustang lineup into a growing segment. Being compared favorably to the Model Y is not a negative. 

I love the Porsche comparison.  It’s in no way analogous to calling the Mach-E a Mustang.  

I wish Ford hadn’t used the Mustang name on an electric SUV but it is what it is.  I really don’t think they needed to.  They have many names they could have used from past.  Fairlane, Galax-E, etc.  A name does not make or break a vehicle.  It could have been called E-Conoline for all it matters.  The end result needs to be a quality and successful vehicle and aside from some issues with their charging partner and some quality issues (the basis for this thread) it seems to be a very competent and well received vehicle.  But it’s no Mustang. 

I guess that makes me a Luddite lol. 

1 hour ago, FR739 said:

I love the Porsche comparison.  It’s in no way analogous to calling the Mach-E a Mustang.  

I wish Ford hadn’t used the Mustang name on an electric SUV but it is what it is.  I really don’t think they needed to.  They have many names they could have used from past.  Fairlane, Galax-E, etc.  A name does not make or break a vehicle.  It could have been called E-Conoline for all it matters.  The end result needs to be a quality and successful vehicle and aside from some issues with their charging partner and some quality issues (the basis for this thread) it seems to be a very competent and well received vehicle.  But it’s no Mustang. 

I guess that makes me a Luddite lol. 

Before Cayenne, Porsche was synonymous with 911.  The Porsche name was synonymous with performance and exclusivity.  When Cayenne debuted Porsche loyalists lost their minds but all their angst was unfounded.  As long as Mach-E maintains mustang like performance (like Cayenne and Panamera did for Porsche) then it will be successful and that’s all that matters.

• Like 8

9 minutes ago, akirby said:

As long as Mach-E maintains mustang like performance (like Cayenne and Panamera did for Porsche) then it will be successful and that’s all that matters.

Mach-E also has Mustang like styling, which makes it a standout among crossover vehicles. It's the first crossover in history that's neither ugly nor boring.

• Like 5

On 1/18/2021 at 6:58 PM, akirby said:

Before Cayenne, Porsche was synonymous with 911.  The Porsche name was synonymous with performance and exclusivity.  When Cayenne debuted Porsche loyalists lost their minds but all their angst was unfounded.  As long as Mach-E maintains mustang like performance (like Cayenne and Panamera did for Porsche) then it will be successful and that’s all that matters.

And I also remember people being angry with the 928 and 944 because they weren't rear engine and they felt that that wouldn't be a real Porsche. But people adjust.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, akirby said:

And the new turbo engines.

And ending manual trans on many lines. Now the PDK is a great trans, but nothing like winding out a Flat 6 to red line. Unlike many V8s, the Flat 6 nontubo really kicks in after you pass 4500 rpm right up to about 7000 rpm much like the Voodoo Mustang GT350. 

2 minutes ago, FordBuyer said:

And ending manual trans on many lines. Now the PDK is a great trans, but nothing like winding out a Flat 6 to red line. Unlike many V8s, the Flat 6 nontubo really kicks in after you pass 4500 rpm right up to about 7000 rpm much like the Voodoo Mustang GT350. 

What makes you think the PDK won’t wind it out to redline?

I drove the GT3 pdk twice on the track and the pdk kept it in the perfect gear at all times downshifting as needed.

Edited by akirby
  • Like 1

On 1/18/2021 at 7:31 AM, snooter said:

There goes the mustang name-plate to the garbage pile due to that lectric crap pile....thank you ford for destroying the stang name

Over 7,000 Mach Es produced so far, holding back several hundred until they pass quality checks is chicken feed.

This is interesting.  If you get past all the GM hoopla, the analyst brings up a very interesting point about potential liability issues for ICE auto manufacturers in the future ('toxic tort').  He also believes the adoption of BEV's will be sudden and dramatic, and if he is right I wonder if there will be a possibility of companies like GM and Ford spinning off their 'traditional' ICE vehicle businesses in the face of rapidly declining business and huge potential liabilities:

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 7Mary3 said:

This is interesting.  If you get past all the GM hoopla, the analyst brings up a very interesting point about potential liability issues for ICE auto manufacturers in the future ('toxic tort').  He also believes the adoption of BEV's will be sudden and dramatic, and if he is right I wonder if there will be a possibility of companies like GM and Ford spinning off their 'traditional' ICE vehicle businesses in the face of rapidly declining business and huge potential liabilities:

Yes sir 7Mary3, Adam Jonas is one of the smartest and most insightful analysts out there. He is correct about the potential "toxic tort" liability issues for any company involved with the manufacture and sale of fossil fuel burning ICE cars and trucks. There's no denying the unsustainable nature of those products.

Jonas also has a good comment about incumbent automakers' (especially GM's) transition to 100% electric cars at 2:12 in the video. "The [automotive] industry can thank Elon Musk in some ways for waking them up and putting that urgency there"