Mach-E Delay

A few things,

Adam Jonas works for Morgan Stanley, he rates companies like GM and Ford for investors,

so of course he's gushing about GM because he and other rating companies are pushing 

hard on buying GM stock which in turn makes it go up long before any BEVs are sold.

Never underestimate the self interest at work here, especially predicting a rapid change to BEVs,

that may or may not happen but look at the priority GM has on which BEVs it will be releasing first 

and the commensurate premium price, the extreme confidence that this is a lay down win for GM.

Man, that's painting a lot of blue sky in super quick time.....

Don't get me wrong, GM is years and a battery plant ahead of Ford but I suspect that the transition 

may take a lot longer for GM to execute, one of the major collateral damage infrastructure will be 

the closing down of ICE production plants and the loss of jobs. Also, GM has done a great job of 

keeping as many rusted on V8 truck buyers as possible, without transitioning all  those truck and

SUV folks, GM stands to lose billions of dollars in profits it needs to prop up it's BEV sales.

Edited by jpd80

A lot depends on just how good the new generation BEV's are, and there is every indication that they will be quite superior to ICE vehicles.  And if they are indeed good, buyers will not have a problem paying more for them.  That is key.  The fact that commercial fleets are interested in BEV's also bodes well, they look at cost per mile and like what they see so far.  As far as assembly workers and plants are concerned, BEV's weill not build themselves.  I am not expecting too much affect on labor, at least in companies that are manufacturing their own motors and batteries.  

31 minutes ago, 7Mary3 said:

I am not expecting too much affect on labor, at least in companies that are manufacturing their own motors and batteries.  

Tell that to the laid off transmission and engine workers. BEVs are far less complex part wise when it comes to powertrain. 

25 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

Tell that to the laid off transmission and engine workers. BEVs are far less complex part wise when it comes to powertrain. 

In Oakville they're retraining them to build battery packs and I'm sure at some point assemble electric motors.   And because this will be a staged transition over many years they can manage it through attrition.

There will be far less variants of BEV powertrains compared to engines and transmissions so powertrain engineering will probably take a hit but again a lot of that can be managed through attrition over several years.

2 hours ago, akirby said:

In Oakville they're retraining them to build battery packs and I'm sure at some point assemble electric motors.

I thought I remembered seeing some kind of investment being considered for in-house electric motor production. The bigger question is where does it go. I can think of a few potential places but that's obviously way, WAY, above my pay grade.  

1 hour ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

I thought I remembered seeing some kind of investment being considered for in-house electric motor production. The bigger question is where does it go. I can think of a few potential places but that's obviously way, WAY, above my pay grade.  

Van Dyke: https://www.autonews.com/manufacturing/ford-make-some-electric-motors-its-van-dyke-plant

• Like 1