Toyota fined for not reporting defects

fordtech1

Excellent article, thanks for sharing fordtech1 sir. The last 2 paragraphs of the article mention a very good recommendation.

Or hey, here’s an idea. Maybe we should shift to vehicles that don’t even have a tailpipe for emissions to come out of, that can’t have errors in the exhaust system or or other emissions management systems because they don’t produce exhaust at all. Then the companies won’t have to worry about installing cheat devices because there’s no exhaust to cheat.

Since this problem is so widespread among gas vehicles, maybe it’s time to give up gas entirely.

Edited by rperez817

Yeah, because from life to death, an electric vehicle doesn't contribute ANY pollution to the environment....  ?

Mining of heavy metals used in batteries and motors.  Local power plants produce emissions.  A grid that isn't ready for full car electrification.  It's an old argument.  Beating a dead horse....

On 1/16/2021 at 11:43 AM, 92merc said:

Yeah, because from life to death, an electric vehicle doesn't contribute ANY pollution to the environment....  ?

Mining of heavy metals used in batteries and motors.  Local power plants produce emissions.  A grid that isn't ready for full car electrification.  It's an old argument.  Beating a dead horse....

Yes, you sure are....

ryan reynolds facepalm gif - AllEars.Net

2 minutes ago, jcartwright99 said:

If this were Ford, Phoebe Wall Howard would have this on the front page of the Freep and would not leave the front page of their website for months. 

Settlements by Ford and Honda with the EPA for vehicle emissions related violations were 2 of the high profile cases in 1998. https://www.epa.gov/sites/production/files/2014-06/documents/defeat.pdf

8 hours ago, jcartwright99 said:

If this were Ford, Phoebe Wall Howard would have this on the front page of the Freep and would not leave the front page of their website for months. 

Wait wait.  You mean to tell me an award winning journalist who “ covers the automotive industry for the Detroit Free Press with a focus on Ford Motor Company...” would write a story about Ford?  

Consider me shocked. 

https://www.linkedin.com/public-profile/in/phoebe-wall-howard-1049334?challengeId=AQErBoEKc3RaPwAAAXcX3o-kx7OVqTH_wxxlDCQa8WgR6iNxaBM9ekCil3BPUmL8m1_1hM-Lg8ZS6fnYO5L_VtOlmCbf8ccvIg&submissionId=10d03eb9-f777-5b16-f8cc-e72973f32472

16 hours ago, FR739 said:

Wait wait.  You mean to tell me an award winning journalist who “ covers the automotive industry for the Detroit Free Press with a focus on Ford Motor Company...” would write a story about Ford?  

Consider me shocked. 

https://www.linkedin.com/public-profile/in/phoebe-wall-howard-1049334?challengeId=AQErBoEKc3RaPwAAAXcX3o-kx7OVqTH_wxxlDCQa8WgR6iNxaBM9ekCil3BPUmL8m1_1hM-Lg8ZS6fnYO5L_VtOlmCbf8ccvIg&submissionId=10d03eb9-f777-5b16-f8cc-e72973f32472

If you read any of her articles on Ford you would realize they are highly sensationalized but I am sure you didn't. Other Automaker stories don't get scrutinized nearly as much as Ford by her or the Freep. You can pretend that doesn't exist but that doesn't mean it's true.

On 1/18/2021 at 7:45 AM, jcartwright99 said:

American press/media loves a double standard!  More highly evident these days than any time in my 5 decades of paying attention...

I doubt any Toyota customer will be swayed elsewhere by their systemic corporate culture of hiding possible defects. 

40 minutes ago, jcartwright99 said:

If you read any of her articles on Ford you would realize they are highly sensationalized but I am sure you didn't. 

If FR739 didn't, then he is correct. Phoebe Wall Howard is an outstanding journalist. Her articles are in no way "sensationalized". Wall Howard is very talented at combining technical details of a story or issue with the human side, whether it involves the automotive industry, healthcare, criminal justice, or any of the other topics she has written about.

Wall Howard's reporting on the Ford DPS6 disaster won 1st place in the business reporting category for last year's Michigan Press Association awards, and 2nd place in the Richard Filliman Journalist of the Year award. Wall Howard's colleague Tresa Baldas won 1st place for Journalist of the Year, giving Detroit Free Press a clean sweep for that award. 

2 hours ago, rperez817 said:

If FR739 didn't, then he is correct. Phoebe Wall Howard is an outstanding journalist. Her articles are in no way "sensationalized". Wall Howard is very talented at combining technical details of a story or issue with the human side, whether it involves the automotive industry, healthcare, criminal justice, or any of the other topics she has written about.

Wall Howard's reporting on the Ford DPS6 disaster won 1st place in the business reporting category for last year's Michigan Press Association awards, and 2nd place in the Richard Filliman Journalist of the Year award. Wall Howard's colleague Tresa Baldas won 1st place for Journalist of the Year, giving Detroit Free Press a clean sweep for that award. 

Ford deserved grief over the Focus/Fiesta transmission. You won't hear me argue about that. I think a great number of us on here discussed that ad nauseam. I was irritated on the last refresh that they didn't replace it with a less troublesome trans. 

Where I start to get annoyed, is when journalist play it up a lot. Neglecting to mention defects happen to every manufacture and Ford is not the only manufacture to have class action lawsuit in regards to transmissions (see Nissan CVT). In fact, she does exact opposite. The fact that she interviewed people on how it effected them, she really tried to play it up. The fact is, every automobile manufacture has had it's share of dud business decisions that eventually end up biting them in the butt. Doesn't matter what brand foreign or domestic. 

I may lack empathy on this but for the folks bought the later models, I don't feel sorry for them. They say a car purchase is the second most expensive purchase people generally make, coming in second to housing. If you did any sort of research, you would of seen many, many complaints about that transmission. It was a red flag for me in 2014 after driving one and by 2015, I told nobody to buy a Focus or Fiesta with that transmission. If you don't do your research on the second most expensive thing you buy, then that is on you.

The fact that Ford sneezes and it's a major headline on the Freep for things all auto manufactures do, tells me all I need to know (see Bronco Covid delays and Mach E/ F150 fixes before getting to customers). It's designed to get clicks and that is what journalism has come to these days. So laud her reporting and pat her and the Freep on the back for some awards if you want, but it just a subject matter in SE Michigan that will get people to bite (click)....especially with sensationalized headlines.

4 hours ago, jcartwright99 said:

If you read any of her articles on Ford you would realize they are highly sensationalized but I am sure you didn't. Other Automaker stories don't get scrutinized nearly as much as Ford by her or the Freep. You can pretend that doesn't exist but that doesn't mean it's true.

I’ve read her articles and don’t find them sensationalized at all.  

All I’m saying is that it’s not shocking for someone who “covers the automotive industry for the Detroit Free Press with a focus on Ford Motor Company... to have in-depth articles regarding Ford whether it be good or bad.  

If she writes an article about Ford that showcases the abundant positives about the MachE is that an equally sensationalized article?  

• Like 1

On 1/19/2021 at 11:18 AM, Kev-Mo said:

American press/media loves a double standard!  More highly evident these days than any time in my 5 decades of paying attention...

I doubt any Toyota customer will be swayed elsewhere by their systemic corporate culture of hiding possible defects. 

Toyota has air tight reputation for quality no matter how many recalls. Explorer has 10 recalls and it's a disaster and Rav 4 has same number and hardly a word. My wife's Rav4 was literally a recall machine. Wow, Toyota finally has fix for faulty fuel tanks after 18 long months.