Return of the Thunderbird?

6 hours ago, probowler said:

It's definitely an odd statement. Unique implies something either incredibly rarely done or taken at face-value never before done.

Natural gas hybrid? BEV+Fuel cells?

A fucking wind sail? I wanna know!
Sail-Car-4031.jpg

Maybe the voodoo motor that went into the Shelby Mustang? He did say super high end.

Edited by atomcat68

Sorry for the smokescreen, guys. 

This was happening on an early modulation of CD6. It had a hybrid powertrain driving the front wheels and independent electric motors on the rears. The idea was to go from a pretty sensible normal car in FWD to an absolute torque monster in RWD or AWD with a rear wheel bias. 

I *believe* that some of the battery packaging accommodations survived into the production version of CD6, but this project didn't have a big name lobbying for it at the end.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Here's my T-Bird thread I submitted under 'Executives and Mgt.' about 7 years ago - before the automotive industry became "The Land That Sedans Forgot".  ?

I still say hold by my claim that if built right, I'd be in line to get one of these - and I haven't bought a Blue Oval product since '89!

-Ovaltine

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ovaltine said:

Here's my T-Bird thread I submitted under 'Executives and Mgt.' about 7 years ago - before the automotive industry became "The Land That Sedans Forgot".  ?

I still say hold by my claim that if built right, I'd be in line to get one of these - and I haven't bought a Blue Oval product since '89!

-Ovaltine

Interesting read in your thread. We'll see what Ford has planned for it in the near future.

10 hours ago, PREMiERdrum said:

Failing to maintain the Futura trademark is probably their most public lapse, as Pep Boys was offering a tire called Futura in the mid-00's. That's why the new-for-06 sedan was named Fusion at the last moment.

The main issue there was that Ford tried to sue Pep Boys to stop them from using the Futura name and the judge basically told Ford that the suit was so ridiculous that not only is he tossing the suit, he also forbade Ford from using the name. Too bad too...Futura was always featured in the Ford line from time to time in history.

On 1/26/2021 at 8:40 PM, PREMiERdrum said:

Failing to maintain the Futura trademark is probably their most public lapse, as Pep Boys was offering a tire called Futura in the mid-00's. That's why the new-for-06 sedan was named Fusion at the last moment.

I wasn't wild about Futura, but I liked it better than Fusion which at the time was some small CUV thing in Europe. After losing the Futura battle, I would have gone with Falcon, Galaxie, Fairlane, or even Fairmont.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, atomcat68 said:

......After losing the Futura battle, I would have gone with Falcon, Galaxie, Fairlane, or even Fairmont.

I was kinda hoping they were going to call it Torino, but in 2006, Ford was still stuck on the whole "name every car starting with the letter 'F' " phase.

Edited by twintornados

2 hours ago, twintornados said:

I was kinda hoping they were going to call it Torino, but in 2006, Ford was still stuck on the whole "name every car starting with the letter 'F' " phase.

Falcon for the fusion and Galaxie for the five hundred.  The drivers education cars were fairmonts...no thanks.