Next gen Mustang to go full EV

Autoline Daily reporting on the "next gen" Mustang again.

They're still claiming the "next gen" won't appear until 2028..........and when it does it'll be EV only!

4m 30secs

http://www.autoline.tv/?fbclid=IwAR2gQpzXHe-v6GAdRafFKcNDF2aY3dZDOM2qYKVwK_sIp0YDKovaUpiTRVw

Something definitely doesn't add up though........S650 should be here in under 2 years ('23MY in 2022).......so why do Autoline daily think we won't see anything new until 2028? The EV bit? I can actually believe that, sadly, but I hope there are still ICE options.

Not sure about 2028 but it's been obvious for a while that 2022 S650 will be the last Mustang with internal combustion engine given what we know about 2025 CAFE requirements. In 2022 and 23, we will enter the final product release cycle for cars with traditional drivetrain - ICE only, available with manual transmission etc. No car company is putting any development money into new cars with ICE for sale in North America after 2023 or 24. 

From 2024/25 and onwards, all new cars will likely be EV only. The exception will be vehicles with large footprint - i.e. fullsize pickup trucks or large SUVs will have ICE but they will all likely to be hybrid or PHEV.

• Like 2

Sorry, I didn't see this thread when I posted mine.

However, I don't know why Autoline keep referring to 2028 as the next gen Mustang when S650 is coming in 2022 as a '23MY!!!

I'd like to think there will still be a V8 option for the 8th gen (2028 or whenever)........but I guess the V8 has to die at some point :(

24 minutes ago, Twin Turbo said:

However, I don't know why Autoline keep referring to 2028 as the next gen Mustang when S650 is coming in 2022 as a '23MY!!!

I'd like to think there will still be a V8 option for the 8th gen (2028 or whenever)........but I guess the V8 has to die at some point :(

Maybe they will do what Ram does and continue with the “classic” mustang as ice and the new model as an ev.

40 minutes ago, Twin Turbo said:

.so why do Autoline daily think we won't see anything new until 2028? The EV bit? I can actually believe that, sadly, but I hope there are still ICE options.

To clarify, not Autoline Daily, but "Auto Forecast Solutions."  Autoline is just reporting the story.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Twin Turbo said:

It's also possible they're referring to a completely new "all new" (which would make sense if it's going EV, you basically start over) vs. a heavily revised "all new" like we're likely to see with whatever's coming for '23?

Yes, S650 is expected to be a heavy revision of S550 but I bet Ford claim it'll be all new and call it the 7th Gen when it launches in 2022.

Thing is, I'd expect Auto Forecast Solutions (thank you for the clarification, Autoline are, indeed, just reporting their news) to be aware of this, so it would have been clearer if they'd said the EV was coming for the 8th gen.

If Ford really wanted to, it could begin selling a BEV Mustang along side of the final ICE Mustang.

A low profile version of MME's skateboard chassis coupled to a Mustang top hat is not unimaginable.....

.......remembering that Chevrolet is already working on a BEV Camaro, a BEV Mustang may be needed sooner than expected.

Edited by jpd80

Sounds like BS to me.  2028 is way out on the horizon and who knows what the industry will look like then.  I personally feel that Evs are a bubble waiting to happen and that automakers are myopic in thinking that Evs are the only way to reduce emissions.  With that being said, I can see an EV version of the Mustang coupe but not the whole lineup.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Footballfan said:

I personally feel that Evs are a bubble waiting to happen and that automakers are myopic in thinking that Evs are the only way to reduce emissions.

I don't think it's automakers that are pushing that or we would have seen a lot more EV investment by now. It's various government administrations around the world pushing it. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

I don't think it's automakers that are pushing that or we would have seen a lot more EV investment by now. It's various government administrations around the world pushing it. 

Just a note here kinda off topic kind of 2026 Corsair EV going to Oakville. As per automotive news Canada 

Edited by Oacjay98
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Footballfan said:

Sounds like BS to me.  2028 is way out on the horizon and who knows what the industry will look like then.  I personally feel that Evs are a bubble waiting to happen and that automakers are myopic in thinking that Evs are the only way to reduce emissions.  With that being said, I can see an EV version of the Mustang coupe but not the whole lineup.  

Just wondering, how long did take to get from rumor to Bronco.?   Work won’t really proceed until they launch the new revised one.  Six years from S650 to what ever comes next is realistic.

4 hours ago, Footballfan said:

You can keep saying "who knows" but that is not true. Ford knows. The writing for a near all-EV future has been on the wall for since 2011 when EPA and all the auto companies reached agreement on 2025 CAFE. 

Ford is a real business with real Govt compliance requirements and they have to make sure they can continue to sell vehicles in the future. 2028 is not that far away - you have to make decision now for vehicle going on sale in 2028. Please enlighten the crowd on how you can get to 54.5 MPG fleet wide average without going all electric on things like Mustang to offset F-150 hybird which will probably max out around 35 MPG (CAFE uses the old school inflated MPG number) after footprint adjustments. Going full EV is the only practical solution that will preserve Mustang's performance and still meet CAFE. You can try to make a non-EV Mustang after 2025 but you have to either sacrifice performance or increase price (to cover the non-compliance penalty). EV will get you the performance and still keep price reasonable.

fueleconomy_11212_717.jpg

The US is about to rejoin the Paris Climate Accord which will snap it back into CO2 reduction target in line with the rest of the industrialized nations. 2025 CAFE is upon us in only a few short years so EPA will begin working on 2030 or 2035 CAFE target soon. Even a modest 1% increase per year from 2026 onwards will see the CAFE target go over 60 MPG by 2035. This is the future that Ford is planning for... 2028 EV Mustang won't be the first traditional nameplate to convert to full EV. You'll see that starting much sooner. 

Edited by bzcat
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, bzcat said:

Not sure about 2028 but it's been obvious for a while that 2022 S650 will be the last Mustang with internal combustion engine given what we know about 2025 CAFE requirements. In 2022 and 23, we will enter the final product release cycle for cars with traditional drivetrain - ICE only, available with manual transmission etc. No car company is putting any development money into new cars with ICE for sale in North America after 2023 or 24. 

From 2024/25 and onwards, all new cars will likely be EV only. The exception will be vehicles with large footprint - i.e. fullsize pickup trucks or large SUVs will have ICE but they will all likely to be hybrid or PHEV.

How will Ford make the transition to all EVs without a reliable nationwide charging network? 

47 minutes ago, Dequindre said:

How will Ford make the transition to all EVs without a reliable nationwide charging network? 

Probably see some huge changes in the next four or five years, charging infrastructure is key so maybe government incentives for operators to increase their networks?

1 hour ago, Dequindre said:

Ford like other incumbent automakers need to invest in charging networks on their own, or establish more robust partnerships with existing companies like ChargePoint, Blink, etc.

VW has done this with Electrify America, but the real world customer experience with their network could be improved.

9 hours ago, bzcat said:

Even the large footprint vehicles will quickly become BEV only once the momentum gets going. Several BEV full size pickup truck models and some BEV full size SUVs are going to be introduced later this year and in 2022.