2013 F-59 V-10 Durability

From what I have seen, pretty good but they do have some issues.  Oiling to valve train can be a problem, often caused by leaking (internal) timing chain tensioners.  This causes rocker arm and cam failures, but can also thrash the cylinder head because there are no cam bearings.  Timing chain guides can wear at high miles.  Exhaust manifolds crack, and studs break.  The V-10's life seems inversely proportional to how heavy the vehicle it's in is!  In a motorhome not used for towing not bad, in a school bus (particularly running on  propane according to a friend of mine) not good.    

No experience with 3v motors but I've had excellent service from several 2v motors in pickups, vans, and an excursion.  The two problems are blowing out spark plugs (not applicable to 3V motors) and broken exhaust manifold studs.  Other than that they'll just go.  In my experience they run better at 300-400k miles than any other gas truck engine out there.

I did read something about rocker arm failure in some of the 2011+ 3v motors.

13 hours ago, Bob Rosadini said:

Guys, Thanks , this F-59 is a 2013 so I would assume it is a 3v.  And at 57k miles, that is like 8000 a year.

Don't bet on that !  My guess is that it is a 2V !

Motorhome people only have 2 issues with them.  They are loud, because the engine has to rev up to make power and the fuel economy is not great.

4 hours ago, theoldwizard1 said:

Motorhome people only have 2 issues with them.  They are loud, because the engine has to rev up to make power and the fuel economy is not great.

I had a Uhaul rental with the V10 (that they told us not to drive out of state...we went to NJ to NC for work LOL) and it ate gas...but I was driving it like my Mustang, since I wasn't paying for gas. It was a good motor from what I remember with a load of 20+ PC Workstations plus the protective boxes for them. 

5 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

I had a Uhaul rental with the V10 (that they told us not to drive out of state...we went to NJ to NC for work LOL) and it ate gas...but I was driving it like my Mustang, since I wasn't paying for gas. It was a good motor from what I remember with a load of 20+ PC Workstations plus the protective boxes for them. 

My old motor home had the V10. It was surprisingly responsive, but would only get 6 mpg when going over 65 mph. Not bad for an 8’ wide, 12’ tall, 35’ long brick that weighed about 18,000 pounds. 

I've got a 2004 F-250 with a 2V V-10. Thus far it has 190k of fairly hard work (I've got a 22' enclosed car trailer & a 21' flatbed). I routinely have a GCW of 15-16k. It has 4.30 gears; pulls those two trailers very well...although it's not a fuel efficient appliance.

I'm of the opinion that the V-10 is the best pulling gas engine built. No experience with the new 7.3. I do know it will pass an 8.1L GMC pulling comparable weighted trailer...much to the GMC owner's chagrin. I can't help he only has 4.10 gears.