Ford Dealer Mistakenly Sells Bronco Sport Demo Car, Demands It Back

Ford delivered 5,120 Bronco Sport SUVs to customers in the fourth quarter of 2020, and this top-of-the-line Badlands was one of them. Despite being a demo car, a Florida dealer mistakenly sold it to a customer, only to call him back the very next day, asking him to return the vehicle.

The owner traded in his 2015 Volkswagen Jetta, made a down payment of nearly $2,500, and accessed financing to buy a Bronco Sport he technically shouldn’t have been allowed to purchase. He took delivery of the boxy off-roader on December 22 and got a call back from the dealer 24 hours later to bring back the Bronco Sport on Christmas Eve.

https://www.motor1.com/news/471502/ford-bronco-sport-demo-mistakenly-sold/

FoMoCo Corporate got involved and the customer was allowed to keep the vehicle he purchased. I'm not sure what legally the dealer could have done anyhow to get it back, and fighting it make them look like fools. Glad he got to keep his Bronco Sport.

• Like 1

What a bunch of idiots. They probably could have avoided all this buy being nice, apologizing for the mistake, and asking the customer to return the bronco in exchange for the first available Limited edition (or badlands or whatever the fuck the top trim is called) for no extra charge.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, probowler said:

What a bunch of idiots. They probably could have avoided all this buy being nice, apologizing for the mistake, and asking the customer to return the bronco in exchange for the first available Limited edition (or badlands or whatever the fuck the top trim is called) for no extra charge.

Sounds like one of the sales staff was eyeing the demo off for themselves in the near future.

It's not like they can't get more stock replenished quickly......glad a grown up sorted it out 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, danglin said:

Absolutely pathetic!! A shame that Ford Motor had to intervene.  

Honestly, I don't think it was a mistake. I would love to know what happened to the sales person that sold it. I could see a sales person, pretending not know it was a demo and selling it thinking they could plead ignorance and it would be fine. We know there are rules in place by Ford and that the dealer didn't want any part of breaking them once they found out. The dealers I've worked with have always had a demo sticker on the window or key fob. Pure speculation on my part but it doesn't add up.

22 hours ago, probowler said:

The crazy part, is that all this drama is over a baby bronco...and a base one at that.

That was my thought.  While a decent vehicle there’s nothing special about the BS.  It’s just another small CUV.  

I could see this over the actual Bronco which is a very special and unique vehicle.  But getting this nuts about the little one is like getting crazy about a CRV or RAV4 lol 

So the salesperson closed the deal and wrote up the purchase agreement, took it to the desk manager who approved it, so the salesperson could turn the customer over to the F&I person, who arranged the financing on an unsellable vehicle; nobody in the transaction chain knew?

Fear.jpeg.5ad59b82ecc6a50ca17afae30a1b3df9.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, FR739 said:

That was my thought.  While a decent vehicle there’s nothing special about the BS.  It’s just another small CUV.  

I could see this over the actual Bronco which is a very special and unique vehicle.  But getting this nuts about the little one is like getting crazy about a CRV or RAV4 lol 

You must be joking.  Nothing looks like Bronco Sport and nothing in the segment performs like it.  It’s the opposite of a RAV4 and buyers are crazy about them.  You’re just biased against it because it’s not a “real” Bronco.

5 hours ago, FR739 said:

If the demo was an Escape, I’d agree.

The stupids at the dealership created a problem where there was none, thankfully a grown up stepped in and told them to shaddap. The last thing Ford needs is idiots souring customer relationships.

Edited by jpd80

37 minutes ago, Deanh said:

irony...the Badlands you cant get built right now....commodity issue of some sort....

The lack of chips would be hurting Ford and forcing it to prioritise high series build mix,

that's already happening with Escape and Corsair. There's always something tripping them up.

43 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

The lack of chips would be hurting Ford and forcing it to prioritise high series build mix,

that's already happening with Escape and Corsair. There's always something tripping them up.

the only Badlands we have coming in ( and keep in mind its the only Sport variant with the bigger 2.0 engine ) are Service "Demos" like this guys was....and they show incoming, and YES...we too have had multiple calls...

1 hour ago, Deanh said:

the only Badlands we have coming in ( and keep in mind its the only Sport variant with the bigger 2.0 engine ) are Service "Demos" like this guys was....and they show incoming, and YES...we too have had multiple calls...

This must be so frustrating, Ford finally delivers product that people want to buy....only they don't.

It seem like there's neverending ways that Ford can be hindered in selling new vehicles.

13 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

This must be so frustrating, Ford finally delivers product that people want to buy....only they don't.

It seem like there's neverending ways that Ford can be hindered in selling new vehicles.

easy to think my eternal skepticism is actually sarcasm when I always quip about release dates.....always add 2-3 months....ALWAYS....Ford has shown redoubtable skill at screwing up releases.... 

4 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Ford: "We're gonna bring back the Bronco"

Everyone: "Cool, I can't wait to buy one!"

Ford: "Buy?"

• Haha 2