2020 Ford Explorer XLT Tow options

I have a 2020 Ford Explorer XLT with a tow capacity of 3000 lbs. I am now needing more tow capacity, ideally the 5300 that is offered with the factory class III tow package. Can I bring my Explorer to dealer for them to install the Class III tow package  or am I just stuck at 3000 lbs and no options to increase capacity?? Please help. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

7 hours ago, Hambone12 said:

I have a 2020 Ford Explorer XLT with a tow capacity of 3000 lbs. I am now needing more tow capacity, ideally the 5300 that is offered with the factory class III tow package. Can I bring my Explorer to dealer for them to install the Class III tow package  or am I just stuck at 3000 lbs and no options to increase capacity?? Please help. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Nothing you will/can do will change what it is rated for.

Edited by blwnsmoke

You might need to trade it in for one with the 5300 lb rating.  Maybe find a similar year coming off lease. Will cost you  but at least you will  be able to tow what you need to tow.  I don’t know know for sure but there are probably a whole slew of upgrades then just a adding a tow bar making the trade up option your only option.

The Explorer tow package has additional oil coolers,  traditionally uprated transmission on smaller engines, and a few other features. If you're going to tow that much and have the Explorer full of people and personals belongings you might need to consider an Expedition/F-150 as you'd be coming close if not exceeding to the GCWR of the Explorer which is 10,100(XLT)/10,600(HEV/ST PP)/10,800(ST/Platinum) depending on what the tongue weight of the trailer is. An Expedition with the tow package is going to have a 9,200lb towing capacity and a GCWR of 15,500. 

If you do the trade in and stay with the Explorer because you're under those numbers. I would still look for a used Limited HEV(with tow package)/ST/Platinum (Tow package standard) if you're going to be towing a lot especially if you're going to be driving in hills and mountains, fully loaded the I4 is going to very loud and labored for the journey, return abysmal mileage, and wear out faster. 

3 hours ago, akirby said:

According to build and price it includes the hitch which is easy to add and an oil cooler which you may or may not be able to add easily, but you need the 3.0L Ecoboost to get 5600 lb capacity.  

I was reading in the manual 2.3 plus towing package is capable of 5600. I’ll look into putting in an oil cooler after some further research. Thanks!