2022 ford expedition

4 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Looks like a more significant change than what they've done in the recent past. I'm all for that. 

Absolutely.  I think they finally realized the profits that can be made on it when its kept updated and selling well because of that.  Why that took so long while they look across the street at the GM triplets, I won't understand.

I'm also pleasantly surprised that it's getting a new non-F-150 dash.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rmc523 said:

Absolutely.  I think they finally realized the profits that can be made on it when its kept updated and selling well because of that.  Why that took so long while they look across the street at the GM triplets, I won't understand.

I'm also pleasantly surprised that it's getting a new non-F-150 dash.

The dash is one of the main reasons we did not buy a new Expedition last year.  We also have an F150 and didn’t want a dash from 2015 in our new expensive vehicle.  I get why they used the F150 dash initially, but I think the vehicle has proven that it can warrant a unique dash now.   

• Like 2

9 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Looks like a more significant change than what they've done in the recent past. I'm all for that. 

I sincerely hope they figured out a way (with this highly profitable vehicle) to give it full LED lighting on every trim and model.  

It’s inexcusable that new vehicles today do not have LED lighting all around.  The new Escape/Explorer, the Tahoe, the new pickups (save strictly work trucks...I’ll let that slide)

If Jeep can find a way to get the Cherokee all LED lighting, there’s no reason why those vehicles listed (and many others) have one single incandescent lightbulb between the bumpers.  

• Like 3

7 hours ago, FR739 said:

I sincerely hope they figured out a way (with this highly profitable vehicle) to give it full LED lighting on every trim and model.  

It’s inexcusable that new vehicles today do not have LED lighting all around.  The new Escape/Explorer, the Tahoe, the new pickups (save strictly work trucks...I’ll let that slide)

If Jeep can find a way to get the Cherokee all LED lighting, there’s no reason why those vehicles listed (and many others) have one single incandescent lightbulb between the bumpers.  

Part of the issue with LED lighting (at least in the marker/interior lights) is that it requires changes to wiring harness/design because load is different between Incandescent and LED lighting. I had to put a small resistor in my SHO (I swapped out all the lights myself) so they would work properly.

The other issue is LED lighting is like 100X per bulb more expensive. A normal light is like a dollar or two, LED lighting, well through a 3rd party could be like $8-10-12. Not sure how much bulk purchase would be. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, silvrsvt said:

Part of the issue with LED lighting (at least in the marker/interior lights) is that it requires changes to wiring harness/design because load is different between Incandescent and LED lighting. I had to put a small resistor in my SHO (I swapped out all the lights myself) so they would work properly.

The other issue is LED lighting is like 100X per bulb more expensive. A normal light is like a dollar or two, LED lighting, well through a 3rd party could be like $8-10-12. Not sure how much bulk purchase would be. 

Static (non-blinking) leds do not require a load compensator. Only those controlled by a flasher require a 6 ohm resistor in an existing circuit. There are also plug n play led-ready flashers that are comparably priced to conventional’s.

With the coming changeover to BEVs, I think we’ll see incandescent lighting become obsolete. LED technology is also coming down in price and require less power, aiding in battery range. Cost could be partially offset by going to thinner  20-22 AWG wire.

The cost of direct fuel injection is much higher than the cost of a carburetor, but meters fuel much more efficiently, and without unburned volatiles escaping into the air.. The benefits outweigh the cost. So too, led lighting. We are already seeing non-replaceable leds in brake/taillights and DRL “eyeliners.”

Edited by Chrisgb
reply got integrated into quoted post
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, FR739 said:

I do agree with this.  When Explorer can have standard LED headlights and taillights (save for the ugly cost cutting incandescent reverse/turn lights), why can't the larger/more expensive Expy have the same standard?

You'll see  most vehicles switch over to LED's, between the IIHS demanding better headlights and getting CAFE credits for them it makes the cost worth it. 

Edge is the cheapest vehicle with LED headlights/Taillights/ Brake lights/ rear turn signals standard in the Ford world; though still use incandescent in the front running/turn on lower models.

1 hour ago, silvrsvt said:

Or you shut off the bulb out warning via forscan and it won't hyperflash anywhere.  Do not need any resistors..  No reason Ford can't..  

Edited by blwnsmoke

3 hours ago, Chrisgb said:

Static (non-blinking) leds do not require a load compensator. Only those controlled by a flasher require a 6 ohm resistor in an existing circuit. There are also plug n play led-ready flashers that are comparably priced to conventional’s.

My dim interior roof lights prior to having a resistor installed would like to talk to you :)

https://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/313820/automotive-led-retrofit-causing-strange-phenomenon

6 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

Eh I don’t really buy that reasoning.   By having one lighting system they could have one wiring harness saving money.  

If these automakers can find a way to put completely frivolous LED accent lighting on every new vehicle, they can figure out a way to do full LED lighting.  

The only reason new vehicles don’t have LED lighting is bean counters or misguided efforts.  Ford spent actual money making a shifter fold down on the new F150 (when they could have easily used an existing rotary dial shifter on the dash which would have resulted in the same laptop work space) but yet the lower trims are saddled with dim incandescent headlights.  GM must have shifted money from LED lighting (tails/turn) of the new Tahoe to pay for the new IRS.  

At the end of the day I realize sales won’t be impacted but I just find the practice silly.  

• Like 3

Just now, FR739 said:

At the end of the day I realize sales won’t be impacted but I just find the practice silly.  

Boils down to tastes. It’s like offering ambient lighting-its nice but it never really took off with consumers. So it gets decontented. 

Maybe as we get more BEV products, we will get more LED lighting, since it will help with energy usage.  

1 hour ago, FR739 said:

Eh I don’t really buy that reasoning.   By having one lighting system they could have one wiring harness saving money.  

If these automakers can find a way to put completely frivolous LED accent lighting on every new vehicle, they can figure out a way to do full LED lighting.  

The only reason new vehicles don’t have LED lighting is bean counters or misguided efforts.  Ford spent actual money making a shifter fold down on the new F150 (when they could have easily used an existing rotary dial shifter on the dash which would have resulted in the same laptop work space) but yet the lower trims are saddled with dim incandescent headlights.  GM must have shifted money from LED lighting (tails/turn) of the new Tahoe to pay for the new IRS.  

Tahoe has LED rear running lights, just incandescent stop/tail/reverse. Odd thing with the new Tahoe is that it has Amber rear turn signals, GM has been almost exclusive Red combo brake turn signal combo for a while, looks super cheap but they do save money. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JTL2017 said:

From this photo, nothing seems to significantly change other than the screen. I’m sure we will learn more before it’s revealed.

It looks like it may be getting the aviator steering wheel(the faux front buttons).  Also, the front tach bin looks larger, so the tach display will be getting overhauled as well.

On 1/27/2021 at 5:14 PM, jasonj80 said:

Tahoe has LED rear running lights, just incandescent stop/tail/reverse. Odd thing with the new Tahoe is that it has Amber rear turn signals, GM has been almost exclusive Red combo brake turn signal combo for a while, looks super cheap but they do save money. 

I think automakers get safety credits or something for having amber signals, which is why we're seeing even traditionally "red" companies add them.

I don't mind amber as long as when they're not activated, the taillight housing LOOKS like just red/white.  I have always hated the 3 color look.

17 hours ago, Dlcorbett said:

Nav screen.

navigatorinterior-g03-kgp-copy-1611784329.jpg

Looks like the 12" from the F-150 and Bronco with a tablet-style bezel.

3 hours ago, Dlcorbett said:

It looks like it may be getting the aviator steering wheel(the faux front buttons).  Also, the front tach bin looks larger, so the tach display will be getting overhauled as well.

Nav's gauges are digital.

2 hours ago, Broncofan7 said:

2022 Ford Expedition Hybrid Spied Testing For The First Time (fordauthority.com)

Does anyone know if the new Expedition supposed to be getting the updated 3.5L Ecoboost with 400 HP, 500 lb.-ft. in addition to this powertrain?

I can't see why it wouldn't get the latest version of whatever engines it'll use.

• Like 2