Coming Soon: Bronco Warthog

13 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

I'm guessing we will find out before they start telling people when they will get their Broncos in May ?

which may have some cancelling the reservation they already have.....weve already had two....and that was upon the first spy shots...

23 hours ago, jcartwright99 said:

What could the Hog be powered by? 3.0 Explorer ST engine? 3.0 Hybrid Aviator engine? 3.5 Raptor engine? F150 3.5 Powerboost hybrid? Godzilla? All electric Mach E GT powertrain? Hmmm????  Somebody knows. 

And yes, I am calling it the Hog! It does look porky!

Oof let’s hope not.  The only acceptable answer starts with the letter V and ends with the number 8. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, FR739 said:

Oof let’s hope not.  The only acceptable answer starts with the letter V and ends with the number 8. 

I just hope eventually the big one finds it's way into a normal Bronco.  All respect  to those who can afford a Warthog... but I'm not sure if I want to spend $80k for my next car....

But a $50k Badlands or Wildtrak with the V8? Hell yeah sign me up baby!

50 minutes ago, probowler said:

But why?

Does Ford not like making money? Or selling cars people want to buy? Jeep clearly does.

you need to ad an asterix to that comment...dumping a huge V8 into basically anything is Chrsyler Jeeps answer to building a vehicle that sells in trivial numbers...its their go to play ...lots of chest bumping and trivial sales numbers. Fords approach is more accessible, refined and a better product full stop....not to mention ultimately better performing. Straight line speed is secondary to the complete package.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, tbone said:

I would say it has more to do with the emissions game than anything else.  

I would say to an extent yes...and fuel consumption...AND refinement, and the fact the ecos have proven their worth is head to head with larger displacement engines.

Edited by Deanh
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, probowler said:

But why?

Does Ford not like making money? Or selling cars people want to buy? Jeep clearly does.

The 2.7LEB is the answer to that question and fills the slot of the old V8 option.   Likewise the 2.3LEB takes the V6 slot.   Both do it with FAR more power than was ever available in the old V6 and V8 engines from the factory.   Any type of V8 or other larger, more exotic powertrains will be low volume special editions and priced accordingly.

Maybe you "V8 only" guys should take a cue from F150 buyers who have overwhelmingly embraced V6 ecoboosts.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, akirby said:

The 2.7LEB is the answer to that question and fills the slot of the old V8 option.   Likewise the 2.3LEB takes the V6 slot.   Both do it with FAR more power than was ever available in the old V6 and V8 engines from the factory.   Any type of V8 or other larger, more exotic powertrains will be low volume special editions and priced accordingly.

Maybe you "V8 only" guys should take a cue from F150 buyers who have overwhelmingly embraced V6 ecoboosts.

I have to say, I personally think that 2.7 is a real standout in Fords engine lineup....if not THE standout...punches way above its weight class...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, probowler said:

But why?

A few reasons:

1) it's not as if this were an F-150-based Bronco where you could plug and play powertrains.  They had to redesign the platform just to get a V6 in there - it's possible a V8 may not even fit - that'd be expensive to redesign it just to fit a V8

2) take rate - V8 take rate on F-150 via a quick search said around 25% in 2017.....I'm sure it's shrunk further since then (some here might be able to provide that info).  That's on F-150 that's one of the most likely vehicles to have someone check the V8 box.  Given F-150's percentages, a V8 offering would be lucky to get a double digit take rate, and that's before you consider the costs involved to make it happen.

3) emissions/CAFE certification - a V8 will hurt Bronco's emissions/mileage numbers

4) Cost - this is sort of a "D - all of the above" in that having to reengineer the platform, offer additional option combos, mileage/crash certifications, etc. etc. all cost money - factor that with what would surely be a low take rate, and you're behind before even starting.

I know the counter argument would be "well, they're adding another engine combo for Warthog anyway", but the difference is they're more than likely using the 3.0 from the Explorer/Aviator - a V6 that the platform is already designed to handle.

I'm not saying I wouldn't love to have the glorious V8 sound with the top on/off, I just realize the realities of the situation.  As others have pointed out, FCA's Stellantis' approach is to shove the Hellcat motor into everything and call it a day.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Deanh said:

I have to say, I personally think that 2.7 is a real standout in Fords engine lineup....if not THE standout...punches way above its weight class...

Nah, you’re wrong. If it's not a V8, it's trash and that's just fact. 

Edited by fuzzymoomoo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

A few reasons:

1) it's not as if this were an F-150-based Bronco where you could plug and play powertrains.  They had to redesign the platform just to get a V6 in there - it's possible a V8 may not even fit - that'd be expensive to redesign it just to fit a V8

2) take rate - V8 take rate on F-150 via a quick search said around 25% in 2017.....I'm sure it's shrunk further since then (some here might be able to provide that info).  That's on F-150 that's one of the most likely vehicles to have someone check the V8 box.  Given F-150's percentages, a V8 offering would be lucky to get a double digit take rate, and that's before you consider the costs involved to make it happen.

3) emissions/CAFE certification - a V8 will hurt Bronco's emissions/mileage numbers

4) Cost - this is sort of a "D - all of the above" in that having to reengineer the platform, offer additional option combos, mileage/crash certifications, etc. etc. all cost money - factor that with what would surely be a low take rate, and you're behind before even starting.

I know the counter argument would be "well, they're adding another engine combo for Warthog anyway", but the difference is they're more than likely using the 3.0 from the Explorer/Aviator - a V6 that the platform is already designed to handle.

I'm not saying I wouldn't love to have the glorious V8 sound with the top on/off, I just realize the realities of the situation.  As others have pointed out, FCA's Stellantis' approach is to shove the Hellcat motor into everything and call it a day.

Yeah, in your scenario I can see that, but half your argument revolves around the warthog not getting a V8.... (which it may not) even if the new raptor gets one.

But if it does, then I just hope Ford also allows it power the regular bronco.

2 hours ago, akirby said:

I've personally never not been disapointed when a new Mustang shows up on craigslist with a 4cyl or v6... or when it does have a V8... it's a manual. D'oh!

7 minutes ago, probowler said:

Yeah, in your scenario I can see that, but half your argument revolves around the warthog not getting a V8.... (which it may not) even if the new raptor gets one.

But if it does, then I just hope Ford also allows it power the regular bronco.

Because the same limitations apply to Warthog.......THE PLATFORM IS NOT DESIGNED FOR A V8.  That means regardless of Warthog or not, it's not designed for one.  And Warthog has nothing to do with Raptor.  Raptor is an F-150.  F-150 already has a platform designed for a V8; F-150 already has a V8.  Therefore, they can just plop one in Raptor if they want.  Not so with Bronco or Warthog.