Coming Soon: Bronco Warthog

1 minute ago, rmc523 said:

Because the same limitations apply to Warthog.......THE PLATFORM IS NOT DESIGNED FOR A V8.  That means regardless of Warthog or not, it's not designed for one.  And Warthog has nothing to do with Raptor.  Raptor is an F-150.  F-150 already has a platform designed for a V8; F-150 already has a V8.  Therefore, they can just plop one in Raptor if they want.  Not so with Bronco or Warthog.

Well that's not my fault Ford wasn't more forward thinking. I'm still gonna keep asking for it.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, PREMiERdrum said:

We know this is a fact.

Two V8 Ranger mules were built in Thailand for evaluation but Ford decided not to proceed.

Very little is known beyond that and it would be wrong to conclude anything either way.

The realist in me says that current pro-green push probably consigns ideas like this to history)

Edited by jpd80

1 hour ago, jpd80 said:

Two V8 Ranger mules were built in Thailand for evaluation but Ford decided not to proceed.

Very little is known beyond that and it would be wrong to conclude anything either way.

The realist in me says that current pro-green push probably consigns ideas like this to history)

Significant, significant, expensive, and significant modifications were required for those rigs.

With what the Hog is bringing, I doubt any customer will be missing the V8.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, PREMiERdrum said:

Significant, significant, expensive, and significant modifications were required for those rigs.

With what the Hog is bringing, I doubt any customer will be missing the V8.

The truth would shock you.......the biggest enabler was provision of a “Vee” engine bay set up and chassis, the engine was aimed at a specific engine customer, a real niche but the TTV6 brings with it a much wider and more realistic  audience.

Jeep are playing their only Ace, V8 in Wrangler/Gladiator  and Ram TRX S/C V8. Sorry, Grand Cherokee to.

this tells us how nervous they are about Ford’s plans, Ford deliberately holding back details on Warthog and Raptor until it’s too late for Jeep an Ram to counter.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 5

Like it or not, the V8 (outside of heavy duty applications) is rapidly becoming a dinosaur and will be extinct for the most part in the next 10-15 years if not sooner.

People need to get over their issues with performance out of an BEV-in all likelihood BEVs that replace ICE will have better performance.

I get the range issue, but for real world (outside of driving extended distances of 500 miles or more a day) its not an issue. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

Like it or not, the V8 (outside of heavy duty applications) is rapidly becoming a dinosaur and will be extinct for the most part in the next 10-15 years if not sooner.

People need to get over their issues with performance out of an BEV-in all likelihood BEVs that replace ICE will have better performance.

I get the range issue, but for real world (outside of driving extended distances of 500 miles or more a day) its not an issue. 

Dinosaur or not, the existence of BEVs as an offset to the remaining ICE fleet may actually allow those 

rusted on V8 buyers to hang around a bit longer than some think, a golden age right at the very end 

right before we go full BEV. Ford working both sides of the street.

On 1/29/2021 at 1:57 PM, Deanh said:

I would say to an extent yes...and fuel consumption...AND refinement, and the fact the ecos have proven their worth is head to head with larger displacement engines.

You had me until refinement.  A v8 ecoboost or coyote would offer more refinement.  Ford and the German manufacturers have shown turbo 6s to be desirable replacements for v8 engines.  I think Ford is leaving some profit on the table by not offering a v8 ecoboost in their engine lineup.  With the switch to rear wheel drive, maybe we will see an I6...single turbo low cost entry version and twin turbo deluxe version.  Considered more refined, yet cheaper to build.  All the 3 And 4 cyl engines could be based off of it to save cost.  The v6 ecoboost engines are great and I agree they have proven their worth in the lineup.

8 hours ago, Harley Lover said:

Would the hybrid transmission from the F150 fit, and work with the Bronco/Ranger chassis? Is that the same solution being used on Aviator (sorry I don't already know this, I should). 

The hybrid 10 speed uses an electric drive motor in place of the torque converter.

It's clever because anywhere the 10 speed fits a hybrid can go as well, there's just

the battery location  to think about.

1 hour ago, slemke said:

You had me until refinement.  A v8 ecoboost or coyote would offer more refinement.  Ford and the German manufacturers have shown turbo 6s to be desirable replacements for v8 engines.  I think Ford is leaving some profit on the table by not offering a v8 ecoboost in their engine lineup.  With the switch to rear wheel drive, maybe we will see an I6...single turbo low cost entry version and twin turbo deluxe version.  Considered more refined, yet cheaper to build.  All the 3 And 4 cyl engines could be based off of it to save cost.  The v6 ecoboost engines are great and I agree they have proven their worth in the lineup.

Sorry, Ford won't be spending money on new ICEs when it's looking at so many BEVs in the next five years,

Jim Hackett literally took loads of funding away from ICE vehicle programs to fund his $11 billion push into 

EVs, AVs and connectivity. I think that the moment has passed for multi inline engine programs, the current 

engines will most likely see Ford through to full electrification.

Edited by jpd80

On 1/29/2021 at 12:55 PM, Deanh said:

Fords approach is more accessible, refined and a better product full stop....not to mention ultimately better performing. Straight line speed is secondary to the complete package.”

Seems like the 5.0L fits the bill perfectly.  

Ford seems willing to accommodate people’s preferences in the market more so than ever before.  Remember when the Ranger was unnecessary here because (as Mike Levine put it), it’s a 9/10ths F150 and we were told that the Fiesta and Focus were suitable Ranger replacements?  Well we now have a dated but still competent Ranger available.  Ford could have not split the Escape into two products, one of which is for niche off roady people but they did and it’s paying off.  A V8 in the Bronco is no different.  

If the EB engines were the savior of everything, why does the Mustang (which I’m guessing will have much smaller volumes and profit than the Bronco) still have a V8?  Why does the F150 still have a V8?  Why is the Raptor returning with a V8? If you are saying that the Bronco can’t have a V8 because the EB is supposedly so much better, why does Ford even offer V8s?  A V8 in the Bronco will return the same fuel mileage as the EBs (ie poor).   It’s not about fuel economy.  

Talking about take rate on the V8 versus two EB engines in the F150 is rather short sighted.  First the build mix is much lower for the 5.0 thus impacting availability and 5.0 trucks have capability numbers that are suspiciously low compared to the EBs.  

As for stuffing a Hellcat V8 into everything?  It works.  End of story.  People flock to FCA because of it.  The Hellcat Durango sold out of its entire production run very quickly and FCA is making a mint on it.  It also forced Ford to offer a V8 in the new Raptor (with respect to the TRX). 

Edited by FR739
  • Like 1

On 1/29/2021 at 4:58 PM, SoonerLS said:

Do we know this for a fact? Or is just an Internet fact?

I’ve never heard Ford confirm it so I think internet fact fits the bill. 

Jeep never designed the JL to accept a 6.4L V8 yet here we are.  It can be done. 

20 minutes ago, FR739 said:

Well we now have a dated but still competent Ranger available.

If only you realized just how different the Ranger we have is from what the rest of the world has.... 

20 minutes ago, FR739 said:

It also forced Ford to offer a V8 in the new Raptor (with respect to the TRX).

Wrong. If you truly believe that decision was made since TRX came out then you’re more naive than I thought. 

22 minutes ago, FR739 said:

Talking about take rate on the V8 versus two EB engines in the F150 is rather short sighted.  First the build mix is much lower for the 5.0 thus impacting availability and 5.0 trucks have capability numbers that are suspiciously low compared to the EBs.  

Also wrong. It's not like Ford just builds what they want to and forces dealers to take it. It's not the 90s anymore. The fact of the matter is Dealers won't order stuff that's just going to sit around for months on end, that's terrible for business. 

5 hours ago, FR739 said:

Jeep never designed the JL to accept a 6.4L V8 yet here we are.  It can be done. 

It's called engineering preservation.

If there's an outside chance that an engine may be required in the future, then it's possible to 

preserve the engineering pathways required to make it happen with little tear up and redo.

That's the real reason why Jeep was able to do a 6.4 V8 Wrangler  development in fairly quickly.

Edited by jpd80

5 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

If only you realized just how different the Ranger we have is from what the rest of the world has.... 

Wrong. If you truly believe that decision was made since TRX came out then you’re more naive than I thought. 

I didn’t say the truck was the same as the rest of the world. 

And I also never said that the decision to put a V8 in the Raptor was a result of Ford finding out on reveal day that the Ram was getting the Hellcat V8.  For slightly less time than we knew about the Bronco, we knew the Ram 1500 would be getting a Hellcat V8.  

5 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Also wrong. It's not like Ford just builds what they want to and forces dealers to take it. It's not the 90s anymore. The fact of the matter is Dealers won't order stuff that's just going to sit around for months on end, that's terrible for business. 

Ok fair.  So see my other point about why the 5.0 has a low take rate. 

But you all make a wonderful case for eliminating the 5.0 from the Mustang lineup.  Heck if the take rate is so low on the F150 why even offer it?  Is it because of luddites like me you have the audacity to prefer 8 cylinders over 6 all while having excellent fuel economy, driveability and reliability?  If that subset of buyers is so small (as some here assert) why does Ford even cater to them?  You think those buyers wouldn’t buy a Ford then?  Come on....