Coming Soon: Bronco Warthog

5 hours ago, FR739 said:

I didn’t say the truck was the same as the rest of the world

You said outdated, which implies it's  the same as the ROW truck. The only thing outdated about it is the interior. The entire chassis is basically brand new. 

5 hours ago, FR739 said:

And I also never said that the decision to put a V8 in the Raptor was a result of Ford finding out on reveal day that the Ram was getting the Hellcat V8.  For slightly less time than we knew about the Bronco, we knew the Ram 1500 would be getting a Hellcat V8.  

You said TRX forced Ford to put a V8 back in Raptor. That's not the case at all. The last Raptor didn't have a V8 because they didn't have one that was fitting for the Raptor since the old high performance 6.2 was nixed. 

5 hours ago, FR739 said:

Ok fair.  So see my other point about why the 5.0 has a low take rate. 

Ford is not sabotaging the capabilities of the 5.0. That's ludicrous. 

5 hours ago, FR739 said:

But you all make a wonderful case for eliminating the 5.0 from the Mustang lineup.  Heck if the take rate is so low on the F150 why even offer it?

Completely different buyer. Demand for a V8 in the Mustang has never really wavered much at all. 

Before the expansion of the EcoBoost V6 lineup in F-series demand for a V8 was starting to soften for the average buyer that didn't need a towing machine. Buyers wanted more fuel economy. For responded by providing a more efficient 3.5L turbo that is more efficient and more capable than a coyote ever can be when tuned for truck duty. They still offer the coyote because there is still some demand for one but it's a fraction of what it was even 10 years ago. Why do you think GM truck sales are tanking? Take the butt ugly styling out of the equation (though I believe that's a big part of it.) that's all they offer is big gas pigs that both Ford and Ram easily outmatch in both capabilities and fuel economy.

3 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Why do you think GM truck sales are tanking? Take the butt ugly styling out of the equation (though I believe that's a big part of it.) that's all they offer is big gas pigs that both Ford and Ram easily outmatch in both capabilities and fuel economy.

GM trucks outsold Ford trucks for 2020.  First time in a while that happened.  Sales of GM trucks are not tanking.  I see them everywhere. Styling is subjective. Fuel economy is right on par (real world) with the other brands and they offer a compelling truck.  The interior is the one area they need to improve and that’s coming very soon.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, jpd80 said:

The hybrid 10 speed uses an electric drive motor in place of the torque converter.

It's clever because anywhere the 10 speed fits a hybrid can go as well, there's just

the battery location  to think about.

That kind of leads to my next thought: since Bronco is BOF, it wouldn't seem that finding a place for a smallish hybrid battery (particularly if it's Lion) would be too difficult. Thus - maybe the path to a hybrid Bronco is not too difficult, maybe coming down to availability of the transmission and battery? I could see where Ford would prioritize F150 hybrid sales for at least a year or two (versus Bronco), since the Bronco will sell itself at least that long. Then perhaps add the hybrid drivetrain to the Bronco maybe in year 3 to bolster sales (although not sure Bronco would need the sales support that soon).

44 minutes ago, FR739 said:

GM trucks outsold Ford trucks for 2020.  First time in a while that happened.  Sales of GM trucks are not tanking.  I see them everywhere. Styling is subjective. Fuel economy is right on par (real world) with the other brands and they offer a compelling truck.  The interior is the one area they need to improve and that’s coming very soon.  

Anything can happen when F-150 production is down 2 months for a new model. 

And it still takes GM two lines to overtake 1 line...

6 minutes ago, ausrutherford said:

Anything can happen when F-150 production is down 2 months for a new model. 

And it still takes GM two lines to overtake 1 line...

Sure it isn’t 4 vs 2?  I haven’t looked to see if the original poster was referring to full sized truck sales or including the mid sized also.  Throw in the Maverick and Ford could dominate in the not too distant future.  The switchover to the ‘21 F150 during a pandemic certainly affected availability and influenced the final outcome.

2 minutes ago, slemke said:

Sure it isn’t 4 vs 2?  I haven’t looked to see if the original poster was referring to full sized truck sales or including the mid sized also.  Throw in the Maverick and Ford could dominate in the not too distant future.  The switchover to the ‘21 F150 during a pandemic certainly affected availability and influenced the final outcome.

I was specifically referencing the full-size trucks.

1 hour ago, FR739 said:

Sales of GM trucks are not tanking.

Yes sir FR739, that is correct. GM pickup trucks, especially the full size trucks, are in very high demand right now. The only limiting factor in sales growth is production capacity. GM will address this by reopening Oshawa Assembly Plant in Canada and allocating full size truck production there.

In the past decade, GM has been #1 in U.S. pickup truck sales most years. 2019 was an exception, Ford surpassed GM that year due to the successful re-introduction of Ranger.

Edited by rperez817

53 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

Yes sir FR739, that is correct. GM pickup trucks, especially the full size trucks, are in very high demand right now. The only limiting factor in sales growth is production capacity. GM will address this by reopening Oshawa Assembly Plant in Canada and allocating full size truck production there.

In the past decade, GM has been #1 in U.S. pickup truck sales most years. 2019 was an exception, Ford surpassed GM that year due to the successful re-introduction of Ranger.

You were right on point with your GM cheerleading post.  Let’s reiterate that GM uses two brands to compete with Ford, and they barely beat them out last year, which included a new model changeover for Ford.   

1 hour ago, slemke said:

Availability was a major issue for 2020.  My friend, who is an assistant sales manager at my local Ford store, said they usually have have 80 to 100 trucks on the lot, and during most of the last quarter they only had 20 to 25 of a mix of F150 and Superduty.  Hard to sell something you don’t have.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Harley Lover said:

That kind of leads to my next thought: since Bronco is BOF, it wouldn't seem that finding a place for a smallish hybrid battery (particularly if it's Lion) would be too difficult. Thus - maybe the path to a hybrid Bronco is not too difficult, maybe coming down to availability of the transmission and battery? I could see where Ford would prioritize F150 hybrid sales for at least a year or two (versus Bronco), since the Bronco will sell itself at least that long. Then perhaps add the hybrid drivetrain to the Bronco maybe in year 3 to bolster sales (although not sure Bronco would need the sales support that soon).

I thought there was always supposed to be a Hybrid Bronco, before it was "shelved".

And I think the main reason behind that is Ford struggling just to get the real Bronco out the door (My theory). Give it some time, and I think Ford will definitely introduce something.  Unless plans have changed considerably since they announced their ridiculous 20+ incoming EVs/Hybrids?

ESPECIALLY the Sport. No way that doesn't get a hybrid/electric... unless it truly is just a stopgap vehicle... which begs even more questions,like  what exactly does stopgap mean, and what the heck could replace it?

Edited by probowler

4 hours ago, Harley Lover said:

I'm sure we'll see a hybrid Bronco in the next few years.  Rumors suggest Warthog is one, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a "regular" hybrid version too.

8 hours ago, probowler said:

I thought there was always supposed to be a Hybrid Bronco, before it was "shelved".

And I think the main reason behind that is Ford struggling just to get the real Bronco out the door (My theory). Give it some time, and I think Ford will definitely introduce something.  Unless plans have changed considerably since they announced their ridiculous 20+ incoming EVs/Hybrids?

ESPECIALLY the Sport. No way that doesn't get a hybrid/electric... unless it truly is just a stopgap vehicle... which begs even more questions,like  what exactly does stopgap mean, and what the heck could replace it?

The thing is the Bronco Family was the last products designed not to have a hybrid at launch due to their timing.

The BS will be built for the next 10 years or so, and I'll assume it may or may not get a hybrid, but more often then not I'd think we'll see during the MCE.

When the next gen comes out, it will be a "Short" Escape BEV...pretty much anything coming at the end of this decade is going to be BEV. 

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/ford-debuts-bronco-ultra4-4400-series-high-speed-race-trucks-at-2021-king-of-hammers.12170/

Small snippet from the article... 

"Bronco brand will have several other vehicles on display at the race, including the Bronco R Race Prototype, which served as a test bed for production Bronco two- and four-door SUVs and recently finished the grueling Baja 1000. Also on hand will be Bronco Sport, which brought home a class win at the 2020 Rebelle Rally.

Plus, one never-before-seen Bronco model debuts live on Feb. 3 at King of the Hammers."

Paging @PREMiERdrum

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Dirty Bronco said:

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/ford-debuts-bronco-ultra4-4400-series-high-speed-race-trucks-at-2021-king-of-hammers.12170/

Small snippet from the article... 

"Bronco brand will have several other vehicles on display at the race, including the Bronco R Race Prototype, which served as a test bed for production Bronco two- and four-door SUVs and recently finished the grueling Baja 1000. Also on hand will be Bronco Sport, which brought home a class win at the 2020 Rebelle Rally.

Plus, one never-before-seen Bronco model debuts live on Feb. 3 at King of the Hammers."

Paging @PREMiERdrum

I believe this is just the MY22 Heritage Package Bronco, as MY22 colors and options changes are due out for those reservation holders being kicked out of MY21.

There were early plans to debut Warthog at KOH, but I believe those were scrapped a bit ago.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

I can see it happening next year.  

It will be in production this time next year!

I was told to expect its announcement "late Spring." While I think the Weds announcement will be Heritage and MY22, I wouldn't count out the possibility of the Warthog concept "with production intent."

• Like 1

On 1/31/2021 at 11:12 AM, tbone said:

You were right on point with your GM cheerleading post.  Let’s reiterate that GM uses two brands to compete with Ford, and they barely beat them out last year, which included a new model changeover for Ford.   

Looking at the available financial information for 2020, maybe two brands is the way to go.  GM, for the first three quarters of 2020, made $2.0 billion more than Ford. I find it highly unlikely that will reverse completely for the 4th quarter but I’m guessing the gap will close. 

1 hour ago, FR739 said:

Looking at the available financial information for 2020, maybe two brands is the way to go.  GM, for the first three quarters of 2020, made $2.0 billion more than Ford. I find it highly unlikely that will reverse completely for the 4th quarter but I’m guessing the gap will close. 

When done right, making vehicles is a licence to print money, GM pulls out a big lead on Ford 

with all of the full sized SUVs it sells, that's where the billions in profit are raked in by GM.

On 1/31/2021 at 11:05 AM, rmc523 said:

I'm sure we'll see a hybrid Bronco in the next few years.  Rumors suggest Warthog is one, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a "regular" hybrid version too.

I think it's almost sure bet that Ranger and Bronco will have hybrid or PHEV in the line up at some point during the model cycle. If not EV.

Think of Ranger's 2023 intro and Ford's 7 year model cycle. That means Ranger will have to meet Euro 7 emission standards (starts in 2025) and 2030 CAFE (which will start in 2026 after 2025 CAFE expires). There is no way Ford will be able to keep selling Ranger (and by association Bronco) without adding hybrid or PHEV by the mid cycle refresh time. Euro 7 is also probably the swan song for all diesels so I would be shocked if Ford doesn't have some type of electrified Ranger on sale in Europe by then. 

50 minutes ago, bzcat said:

I think it's almost sure bet that Ranger and Bronco will have hybrid or PHEV in the line up at some point during the model cycle. If not EV.

Think of Ranger's 2023 intro and Ford's 7 year model cycle. That means Ranger will have to meet Euro 7 emission standards (starts in 2025) and 2030 CAFE (which will start in 2026 after 2025 CAFE expires). There is no way Ford will be able to keep selling Ranger (and by association Bronco) without adding hybrid or PHEV by the mid cycle refresh time. Euro 7 is also probably the swan song for all diesels so I would be shocked if Ford doesn't have some type of electrified Ranger on sale in Europe by then. 

I'll be first in line as soon as my next lease expires when it happens. 

1 hour ago, bzcat said:

I won't be surprised if a hybrid/(2.7?)Powerboost debuts with the new Ranger, and makes its way to the Bronco for its refresh (presumably 2024-5 if on a 3 year cycle?).  Wonder if that's what opens up Bronco to global consumption too?

• Like 1