Tesla unveils Model S Plaid and Plaid+

rperez817

Tesla Reveals Refreshed Model S Plaid: Production Starts In Q1 2021 (insideevs.com)

Model S Plaid is the highest performance production sedan in history.

• 1,020 horsepower max
  • 0-60 mph: 1.99 seconds
  • Quarter mile: 9.23 seconds @ 155 mph
  • Top speed: 200 mph
  • Range: 390 miles for Plaid, 520 miles for Plaid+
  • Availability late 2021
  • MSRP in U.S. market is $119,990 for Plaid, $139,990 for Plaid+

ms-main-hero-desktop

MS-Interior-Hero-Desktop

MS-Exterior-Hero-Desktop

Edited by rperez817

I like everything about it including the 1000 hp. That is until I saw the stupid ass steering wheel. 

And per usual, Tesla's range number is impossible to achieve so 390 and 520 miles is probably more like 350 and 460 miles. 

Edit: I have my doubts about 200 mph top speed without a transmission. Seems highly improbable with direct drive. If Tesla did give Plaid a transmission that is something new. But Tesla has no PR team so no one knows.

Edited by bzcat
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, bzcat said:

I like everything about it including the 1000 hp. That is until I saw the stupid ass steering wheel. 

And per usual, Tesla's range number is impossible to achieve so 390 and 520 miles is probably more like 350 and 460 miles. 

Edit: I have my doubts about 200 mph top speed without a transmission. Seems highly improbable with direct drive. If Tesla did give Plaid a transmission that is something new. But Tesla has no PR team so no one knows.

Hope the steering wheel is an option you don't have to take, but probably not. On one hand, it kind of forces you to keep two hands on the wheel, then they put all the controls on a touchscreen, to keep one hand off. Now you can't grab the top of the wheel while using the touch screen, which one would instinctively do.

On 1/27/2021 at 7:26 PM, rperez817 said:

Tesla Reveals Refreshed Model S Plaid: Production Starts In Q1 2021 (insideevs.com)

Model S Plaid is the highest performance production sedan in history.

• 1,020 horsepower max
  • 0-60 mph: 1.99 seconds
  • Quarter mile: 9.23 seconds @ 155 mph
  • Top speed: 200 mph
  • Range: 390 miles for Plaid, 520 miles for Plaid+
  • Availability late 2021
  • MSRP in U.S. market is $119,990 for Plaid, $139,990 for Plaid+

ms-main-hero-desktop

MS-Interior-Hero-Desktop

MS-Exterior-Hero-Desktop

Dig that spartan interior ?

I'm seeing that they have a regular steering wheel option-thank goodness, since I cannot imagine driving with that type of wheel. 

Got to give kudos to Tesla for pivoting and adding a center screen behind the wheel and I dig the dual wireless charging pads. 

On 1/30/2021 at 8:13 AM, kyle said:

Got to give kudos to Tesla for pivoting and adding a center screen behind the wheel and I dig the dual wireless charging pads. 

Not sure this is really a pivot.   The Model S has always had an instrument cluster behind the steering wheel.   I would consider it to be a pivot if they added an instrument cluster to the Model 3 and Model Y. 

4 hours ago, CurtisH said:

Not sure this is really a pivot.   The Model S has always had an instrument cluster behind the steering wheel.   I would consider it to be a pivot if they added an instrument cluster to the Model 3 and Model Y. 

You're correct, though I guess you could give them credit for NOT following the 3/Y path and removing it.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
7 hours ago, rperez817 said:

On May 11, Model S Plaid was tested at Autoclub Famoso Raceway in Bakersfield, California and officially recorded quarter mile time of 9.23 seconds at 152.16 mph trap speed. This is the fastest quarter mile time ever recorded in a production automobile. Tesla Model S Plaid Sets A New 1/4 Mile Record: 9.23 Seconds (cleantechnica.com)

Clearly one benefit of the electric car. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...