GM will be Exclusive Electric by 2035

jasonj80

Yes, exclusively electric passenger vehicles by 2035.  As for trucks they are leaving the door open.  Looks like they are getting back into railroading with battery and fuel cells:

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/06/15/gm-partnering-with-wabtec-on-electric-freight-locomotives.html

Ironically, the partnership is not with GM's former locomotive division EMD.  They are working with WABCO, which bought General Electric's locomotive business some years ago.

• Thanks 1

It’s hard to see how EVs can completely replace vehicles like super duties, the physical demands on those vehicles and the numbers they’re putting out now are quite impressive. I would never say I wouldn’t ever be open to a completely electric vehicle but it’s hard to see how we get there. And boy would I miss the sounds of turbos and V8s

• Like 2

On 6/19/2021 at 2:54 PM, harmacist said:

It’s hard to see how EVs can completely replace vehicles like super duties, the physical demands on those vehicles and the numbers they’re putting out now are quite impressive. I would never say I wouldn’t ever be open to a completely electric vehicle but it’s hard to see how we get there. And boy would I miss the sounds of turbos and V8s

You got that right, especially racing engines. You Tube has a whole series of best racing engines of all time and it's mostly about sound. Still very important in performance vehicles like Mustang V8, Camaro, Porsche, and so on. When I've gone to racing events, sound is as important as the racing. F1 racing suffered a bit during this hybrid/turbo era with loss of high pitched sounds of V8/V12 era. 

Still remember going to F1 race every year in Downtown Detroit and listening to Cosworth V8 sounds. The turbo era had already started with their muzzled sounds, but the V8 Cosworth was still around in the mid 80's with its glorious sound. 

Now fast forward to FE racing and most race cars use muffled hybrid/turbo engines. Porsche Cup Cars still sound glorious along with Indy Cars for now before they go to hybrid/turbo in couple years. 

Wonder how many more years left. Maybe that's why vintage racing is so popular. As modern racing loses its glorious sounds, vintage racing will pick up the slack. Just as vintage cars at Mecum and Barret Jackson become more popular every year. There will always be a market for these machines as market turns to 100% hybrid/electric.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FordBuyer said:

Maybe that's why vintage racing is so popular. As modern racing loses its glorious sounds, vintage racing will pick up the slack. Just as vintage cars at Mecum and Barret Jackson become more popular every year. There will always be a market for these machines as market turns to 100% hybrid/electric.

Yes sir FordBuyer. As the automotive industry makes the transition to 100% electric vehicles, 100% autonomous vehicles, and mobility services, vintage ICE powered cars may fulfill a role similar to horses today, for recreation rather than as a primary form of transportation.

Former General Motors (and Ford, Chrysler, BMW, and Exide) executive Bob Lutz mentioned this in an Automotive News editorial a few years back.

"Automotive sport — using the cars for fun — will survive, just not on public highways. It will survive in country clubs such as Monticello in New York and Autobahn in Joliet, Ill. It will be the well-to-do, to the amazement of all their friends, who still know how to drive and who will teach their kids how to drive. It is going to be an elitist thing, though there might be public tracks, like public golf courses, where you sign up for a certain car and you go over and have fun for a few hours.

And like racehorse breeders, there will be manufacturers of race cars and sports cars and off-road vehicles. But it will be a cottage industry."

Edited by rperez817

On 6/21/2021 at 1:24 PM, rperez817 said:

Yes sir FordBuyer. As the automotive industry makes the transition to 100% electric vehicles, 100% autonomous vehicles, and mobility services, vintage ICE powered cars may fulfill a role similar to horses today, for recreation rather than as a primary form of transportation.

Former General Motors (and Ford, Chrysler, BMW, and Exide) executive Bob Lutz mentioned this in an Automotive News editorial a few years back.

100% autonomous vehicles = 100% totalitarianism and 100% communism to follow.  Anyone who would gladly turn over the keys to their personal transportation to a robot and a company that will have total control over where and how you can go places should not be surprised when Big Brother will start telling you where to live and what to eat.   

Bob Lutz is irrealevant.  He's like that elite athlete that played one more season than he should have only to fail. Don't hear too much from him anymore thank goodness. 

• Like 1

On 6/21/2021 at 9:50 AM, FordBuyer said:

You got that right, especially racing engines. You Tube has a whole series of best racing engines of all time and it's mostly about sound. Still very important in performance vehicles like Mustang V8, Camaro, Porsche, and so on. When I've gone to racing events, sound is as important as the racing. F1 racing suffered a bit during this hybrid/turbo era with loss of high pitched sounds of V8/V12 era. 

Still remember going to F1 race every year in Downtown Detroit and listening to Cosworth V8 sounds. The turbo era had already started with their muzzled sounds, but the V8 Cosworth was still around in the mid 80's with its glorious sound. 

Now fast forward to FE racing and most race cars use muffled hybrid/turbo engines. Porsche Cup Cars still sound glorious along with Indy Cars for now before they go to hybrid/turbo in couple years. 

Wonder how many more years left. Maybe that's why vintage racing is so popular. As modern racing loses its glorious sounds, vintage racing will pick up the slack. Just as vintage cars at Mecum and Barret Jackson become more popular every year. There will always be a market for these machines as market turns to 100% hybrid/electric.

If you are in your 40s or older, you probably will not see the day when the market is 100 electric.  Right now everyone's eyes are bigger than their stomachs when it comes to Evs.  But when the realities of slow charging times, load on the electric grid, and lack of raw materials sets in, there will be a big u-turn.  

• Like 2

On 6/23/2021 at 1:12 PM, Footballfan said:

If you are in your 40s or older, you probably will not see the day when the market is 100 electric.  Right now everyone's eyes are bigger than their stomachs when it comes to Evs.  But when the realities of slow charging times, load on the electric grid, and lack of raw materials sets in, there will be a big u-turn.  

LOL They said the same thing when cars where replacing the horse too 

Lots of money to be made fixing or improving those issues. 

Just because EV's act differently then gas powered ones doesn't make them any less viable and you actually have some improvements like being able to power your house for a few days if necessary with battery power. 

On 6/23/2021 at 1:12 PM, Footballfan said:

when the realities of slow charging times, load on the electric grid, and lack of raw materials sets in, there will be a big u-turn.  

Those issues are being addressed by automakers, supplier and utility companies, and governments. The ICE age is coming to an end, there will be no turning back.

Edited by rperez817

• 2 months later...
On 1/28/2021 at 2:51 PM, Kev-Mo said:

Of course the long term Green New Deal means the Great American Road Trip is no longer possible. 

BEV can be just as capable for "the Great American Road Trip" as an ICE vehicle. Motor Trend editors just posted an article summarizing their nearly 7,700 mile cross country journey on the Trans-America trail using a pre-production Rivian R1T, which was much more challenging than a typical road trip for Americans. Upcoming BEV pickup trucks from GM, Ford, and other manufacturers should be similarly capable. Exclusive: We Drive the 2022 Rivian R1T Off-Road Across the Trans-America Trail, Part 2 (motortrend.com)

The 2022 Rivian R1T is the first all-electric vehicle to cross the U.S. off-road, thanks to the Trans-America Trail. The R1T completed 7,686 miles on the route, tackling every conceivable type of terrain from mud and rocks to gravel and sand—and facing down thunderstorms, snow, floods, and more. The Trans-America Trail was essentially the ultimate shakedown run for the very nearly production-ready truck.

If MotorTrend's band of leadfoots can cross the country off-road in an electric pickup truck, then the once-per-year 500-mile road trip the average driver might take should be a cakewalk in comparison. Vehicles like the R1T prove that no matter what fuels our vehicles we'll still be able to do the things that fuel us, including travel to the places we please and do the things we love. Just like before.

On 9/13/2021 at 1:55 PM, rperez817 said:

BEV can be just as capable for "the Great American Road Trip" as an ICE vehicle. Motor Trend editors just posted an article summarizing their nearly 7,700 mile cross country journey on the Trans-America trail using a pre-production Rivian R1T, which was much more challenging than a typical road trip for Americans. Upcoming BEV pickup trucks from GM, Ford, and other manufacturers should be similarly capable. Exclusive: We Drive the 2022 Rivian R1T Off-Road Across the Trans-America Trail, Part 2 (motortrend.com)

Sounds like fun.. and definitely just as capable.  I always turn off my AC to save fuel mileage so I can make it to the gas station.. oh wait, no I don't.

"We were coming up 15-20 miles short, though, so we switched off the climate control and enjoyed the 100-degree "breeze."

Edited by blwnsmoke
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/13/2021 at 11:55 AM, rperez817 said:

Missing one small detail in the Rivian fine print:  'up to' 40% range penalty for towing.  In the world I live in, when someone in marketing says 'up to' that is the number.

Edited by Kev-Mo
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Kev-Mo said:

Missing one small detail in the Rivian fine print:  "up to' 40% range penalty for towing.  In the world I live in, when someone in marketing says 'up to' that is the number.

...unless it is "up to 40% off." Then it is only the out-of-date anchovy paste that is 40% off. Everything else is closer to full price. ;)

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Kev-Mo said:

Missing one small detail in the Rivian fine print:  "up to' 40% range penalty for towing.  In the world I live in, when someone in marketing says 'up to' that is the number.

Or, do as I do - drive a one-ton 4x4 Dually Crew Cab w/a service body grossing out at 10,000 lbs.  I don't need no stinkin' trailer to destroy those range projections.....lol

Yeah, I know - it's a Ram....it's not easy finding gas-fired trucks right now.  And I want NOTHING to do w/the current offerings of ANY of the diesel trucks.

938994976_Atlease.thumb.jpg.3247136f6828a875c14eeaeb0a4c3bb5.jpg