GM will be Exclusive Electric by 2035

jasonj80

34 minutes ago, Footballfan said:

Our shit media got it wrong again.  gm did not say they were eliminating ECE engines per their press release.  There is tech being developed that aims to make carbon free fuel and ECEs. 

https://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/home.detail.html/content/Pages/news/us/en/2021/jan/0128-carbon.html

The press release said "GM plans to decarbonize its portfolio by transitioning to battery electric vehicles or other zero-emissions vehicle technology". BEV is the most viable zero-emissions vehicle technology for light-duty vehicles (passenger cars and light trucks). However, GM is working on hydrogen fuel cells for commercial heavy duty trucks as well as military applications. 

Both fit into the "All-Electric Future" that GM describes at this link. GM’s Path to an All-Electric Future | General Motors

8 hours ago, Anbevo said:

Does anybody really care what GM says?  They're just arrogant A-holes pulling a publicity stunt. And talk about flip-flopping.  They opposed California .... but once Biden was elected, here they are, the first to the trough to get in Biden's good graces for government money.  Sound familiar?  

We all know that Garbage Motors is a Gigantic Mistake!!

My Star Trek Utopian outlook on Earth wants us to get to all clean energy.  We really do need to do that to save our planet.

My realist side of me knows we won't get there by 2035.   There's just too many variables that would have to be 100% right to get there.  That's just not going to happen.  So lets concentrate on the things we can do well, pick the lowest hanging fruit.  As long as we're making steady progress, that's a good thing.

I think Biden's goal of 2035 is a good one.  Kinda like the moonshot, sometimes we need a kick in the pants to get moving.  But I think the odds of humans getting to Mars is higher than the US going 100% green cars by 2035.  But again, that's my Star Trek dream world again.  (I'm TNG guy, not TOS!)

17 minutes ago, 92merc said:

My Star Trek Utopian outlook on Earth wants us to get to all clean energy.  We really do need to do that to save our planet.

My realist side of me knows we won't get there by 2035.   There's just too many variables that would have to be 100% right to get there.  That's just not going to happen.  So lets concentrate on the things we can do well, pick the lowest hanging fruit.  As long as we're making steady progress, that's a good thing.

I think Biden's goal of 2035 is a good one.  Kinda like the moonshot, sometimes we need a kick in the pants to get moving.  But I think the odds of humans getting to Mars is higher than the US going 100% green cars by 2035.  But again, that's my Star Trek dream world again.  (I'm TNG guy, not TOS!)

Its fine to have a goal and a target, but we need to be realistic about what’s required to get there and be open to other solutions.

E.g. If hybrids and phevs along with BEVs can be implemented far more quickly and far cheaper than 100% BEVs AND it reduces overall emissions by 80%, isn’t that a smart plan?  

Getting that last 20% requires significant and super expensive investment in battery production and recycling, electricity production and distribution and charging infrastructure that’s not likely to happen in 14 years.  

• Like 2

Anybody else really tired of the "sky is falling..."

Better watch this before Big Brother pulls it down

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVCUODGuNcs&feature=emb_logo

And there is this...the big countdown:

https://npcdaily.com/alexandria-ocasio-cortez-countdown/

What really bugs me is with all the so called "fact checking" going on, nobody goes back to these moronic predictions that were big news stories in the past 30 years and all of them turned out to be completely false.

Tony Heller is on it though:  Source:  https://realclimatescience.com/

• Like 1

Thanks Kev-Mo, this is great stuff! Catastrophic man-made global warming might be the biggest farce in human history. But that aside, GM is now dictating the future to us --  What's good for General Motors is good for the country (and now the world, right?)  So that ship will sail and gain momentum very quickly now with Biden in charge ... but the irony of this governments-mandated shift to EVs and zero carbon is that (I predict) it will have zero impact on future climate/weather (not enough to make a difference anyways).  

• Like 2

Question begs - how the heck is Dodge, and The Truck formerly known as Dodge, ever going to survive without a 'HEMI'  What on earth are all those fanboys going to do?

They took the US government bailout, but now they are owned by Renault, so maybe the US Government has no say...

27 minutes ago, Anbevo said:

Thanks Kev-Mo, this is great stuff! Catastrophic man-made global warming might be the biggest farce in human history. But that aside, GM is now dictating the future to us --  What's good for General Motors is good for the country (and now the world, right?)  So that ship will sail and gain momentum very quickly now with Biden in charge ... but the irony of this governments-mandated shift to EVs and zero carbon is that (I predict) it will have zero impact on future climate/weather (not enough to make a difference anyways).  

Forests will burn every 350-500 years because that is the natural lifecycle of a forest, no matter what humans do, or how much property humans buy up and develop in the forest.

GM will do what GM will do, but please stop the notion you are saving us from ourselves.

• Like 3

Question for someone smarter than me here..... it seems the the oil producing companies of the world ( domestically, Middle East, Russian) aren’t just going to shrug their shoulders and say “ oh well, I guess no one wants our oil anymore”. Can’t they continue to push the price of oil down to keep the public demanding ICE  vehicles  because it’s just so cheap?  $1.35 a gallon gasoline is hard to argue with.  

14 hours ago, akirby said:

Announcing anything that's 14 years away is a PR stunt.

No PR stunt sir. Multiple governments around the world where GM does business have already announced bans on ICE powered vehicles to take place within the next 15-20 years, and are actively encouraging ZEV adoption. GM is re-inventing its operations to survive and thrive amid this ongoing revolution in the automotive industry.

19 hours ago, Kev-Mo said:

Question begs - how the heck is Dodge, and The Truck formerly known as Dodge, ever going to survive without a 'HEMI'  What on earth are all those fanboys going to do?

They took the US government bailout, but now they are owned by Renault, so maybe the US Government has no say...

CNBC did an interview with Dodge brand CEO Tim Kuniskis. He said that they will survive the only way any automaker or automotive brand will, by embracing electrification. Dodge CEO says EVs can save America's new 'Golden Age of muscle cars' (cnbc.com)

Dodge has no all-electric or plug-in hybrid vehicles. Kuniskis said that will change but declined to offer additional details.

“I’m super excited about the future of electric because I think it’s what’s going to allow us to not fall off the cliff.,” he said. “Without that technology, without electrification. This is 1972 right now, this thing is going to end.”

Dodge isn't and has never been owned by Renault. Ownership of Dodge summary.

• Independent as Dodge Brothers Company 1900-1925
  • Dillon, Read & Company 1925-1927

• Chrysler Corporation 1927-1998

• DaimlerChrysler AG 1998-2007

• Cerberus Capital Management, L.P. 2007-2009

• Chrysler Group LLC (jointly owned by Fiat Automobiles S.p.A., United Auto Workers, and U.S. government) 2009-2014

• Fiat Chrysler Automobiles N.V. 2014-2021

• Stellantis N.V. 2021-

Edited by rperez817

15 hours ago, rperez817 said:

No PR stunt sir. Multiple governments around the world where GM does business have already announced bans on ICE powered vehicles to take place within the next 15-20 years, and are actively encouraging ZEV adoption. GM is re-inventing its operations to survive and thrive amid this ongoing revolution in the automotive industry.

Is it really a "revolution" when the government is forcing you to do it?

I think there's a different word for that.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, probowler said:

Is it really a "revolution" when the government is forcing you to do it?

Yes sir. It's not just public policy, but also automakers' product development plans, capital markets, and consumer preferences all focusing on sustainability.

2021 marks an inflection point in which each of these factors come together to ensure there will be more change in the automotive industry over the next 5 years than there were in the past 120 years. That's a revolution for sure.

3 hours ago, 351cid said:

So...how is all this electricity going to be generated?

Renewables combined with energy storage technologies. In Texas, the growth of solar and wind electricity generation has been dramatic in the past few years. ERCOT, the ISO that manages the Texas Interconnection, reported that solar, wind, and energy storage projects in the process of being added to the grid as of August 2020 represent over 120 GW of capacity. ERCOT's all time record demand so far was about 73.3 GW.

960x0.jpg

Also, BEV charging can be scheduled to take place during off-peak hours. That is favorable for ensuring that generation capacity will be able to keep up with growth of BEV.

10 hours ago, rperez817 said:

Yes sir. It's not just public policy, but also automakers' product development plans, capital markets, and consumer preferences all focusing on sustainability.

Businesses doing something because the government will literally fuck them if they don't isn't proof that they support the governments agenda. That's not revolution, that's extortion.

And as a consumer, I'll just keep my internal combustion engine until the government threatens to literally fuck me if I don't turn it in.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, probowler said:

And as a consumer, I'll just keep my internal combustion engine until the government threatens to literally fuck me if I don't turn it in.

Most if not all of the ICE light vehicle bans announced by governments around the world apply only to new vehicles. Owners of existing ICE powered vehicles will not be required to turn them in. There will be restrictions on where they can be used, for example central business districts in cities may not permit them. Also, governments are likely to provide financial incentives to own and operate BEV and other ZEV, along with penalties for owning and operating ICE powered vehicles. Combined with the rapid advancements in battery technology, it won't be long until the total cost of ownership for BEV becomes significantly lower than ICE vehicles, even if initial purchase prices are comparable.

2 hours ago, rperez817 said:

Most if not all of the ICE light vehicle bans announced by governments around the world apply only to new vehicles. Owners of existing ICE powered vehicles will not be required to turn them in. There will be restrictions on where they can be used, for example central business districts in cities may not permit them. Also, governments are likely to provide financial incentives to own and operate BEV and other ZEV, along with penalties for owning and operating ICE powered vehicles. Combined with the rapid advancements in battery technology, it won't be long until the total cost of ownership for BEV becomes significantly lower than ICE vehicles, even if initial purchase prices are comparable.

No, they'll just make it illegal to drive them anywhere.