Slight vibration idling in gear

Tl99cobra

Hi all, 

Posted a similar question previously. Was wondering if anyone can pay close attention to their aviator in the situation of idling when cold and put into drive or reverse with foot on brake. I used to have a louder vibration but I have been working to get it better. I have a grand touring so I am not sure if it's worse in the gt as engine is cold more often since it runs plug in energy only alot for me in town.

Anyhow, the ecoboost engine's fuel pumps and valve train is loud. And there is no engine cover on these engines on the manifold or heads. So there is some harmonic noises and I think vibration from this. So far have shured up some of the peripheral engine cover shielding which helped. I also found some sort of electrical plastic loom that was rattling right in front of the driver. This was found by taking off the fuse box plastic cover in engine bay and reaching down blindly with my hand where I could reach this loom and replicate a banging rattling vibration noise. I was able to put a velcro tape down there and stop that from shaking. I then shured up the heat shielding on the transmission under the vehicle which vibrated and also put the worm clamps on the flexible down pipe cat portions as per the recall ford issued a while back.

So it's better now, but still when car is idling in gear or when I come to a red light, there are vibration sounds that are faint but audible in the cabin.

Something is either still touching the firewall and vibrating or it's the harmonics of the fuel pump or loud drive train coming into cabin, vibrating firewall. Vibration not there off idle.

Just seems like the quiet cabin should be more quiet. 

If anyone can turn their radio off and climate control off and see if they have this slight vibration and noise (worse when cold) idling in gear with brake on, I would appreciate it. I want to know if this could be normal before dealer tells me they think its normal or tries to find a solution to no avail.  My wifes acura rdx does vibrate when cold to, so maybe normal? Thank you!

Sorry to hear that. The engine is tucked back in the engine bay, I guess for balance and performance issues. And it's a loud engine (valve train and high pressure secondary fuel pump). A spark plug change would require removal of the rear cowl around the wipers to reach the back 2 plugs. Pretty silly. 

Anyway, I can't find anything vibrating from the top. I am going to take the bottom splash panel off from underneath this weekend and see if there is a shield hitting or vibrating from underneath right near center dash. If I can not find anything, I think it maybe harmonics from this engine at 850 to 1000 rpm and will try some heat resistant sound deadening material on the rear engine firewall. The harmonics would also occur then at 1700 to 2000 rpm, but by then engine revving noise would take over. Oh well.

Ok, so I figured out a couple of sources of vibration in my 21 gt. The first is a plastic door where two heater rubber pipes go through the firewall in the engine bay right in front of the driver. I sured this up with heat resistant sound proofing material and I then went from the back side through the fuse box access and removed the brake fluid reservoir and placed heat resistant tape and sound proofing material on the other side as well. I hope the photos are explanatory. After starting the aviator and putting it into drive I still had a noise vibration inside the vehicle. I chased it down to behind the carpet along the transmission tunnel. When I pressed on the carpeting adjacent to my right leg, the vibration would stop. I loosed some of the plastic trim in that area and found a large wire vibrating along the transmission tunnel behind the carpet as in the photo. I sured this up and the vibration stopped. Hopefully, I have a vibration noise free aviator now. Will let you know when I drive it more.

20210209_143147.jpg

20210209_143129.jpg

20210209_134622.jpg

20210209_194722.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Off topic, but what a shitty place to put a fuse box!!!  Could they have picked a worse spot!!!  That is the worse place for a fuse panel, causes all kinds of issues later down the road with moisture.  Fuck Ford thank god I only rent this garbage I would never buy one of these fine quality automobiles <<< --- lol

5 hours ago, BigAl77 said:

Off topic, but what a shitty place to put a fuse box!!!  Could they have picked a worse spot!!!  That is the worse place for a fuse panel, causes all kinds of issues later down the road with moisture.  Fuck Ford thank god I only rent this garbage I would never buy one of these fine quality automobiles <<< --- lol

image.png.8d1465786057f30d7802609c36703bb6.png

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

This may or may not be relevant...

I too had vibrating idling in gear, or in neutral for that matter.  The whole vehicle would shudder.  Figured out that it was only an issue when A/C was on and therefore compressor was running.  Took it to the dealer late last summer and they said yes was a problem and needed to be corrected, but didn't have a fix.  Couple weeks ago I was in for recall work on the rearview camera and asked if they had a fix yet and they did some sort of software fix that took care of 90% of it.  This may or may not be your issue but thought it might be worth mentioning just in case

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

I get an irritating vibration with my diesel tremor but it happens when the idle drops to about 550 RPM. Increase RPM over 600 and the vibration goes away. Battling with Ford and Dealer to up the idle RPM around 650 -700 but so far being ignored. They refuse to give me the appropriate RPM range at idle when warm and what they are programmed for at manufacturing. Spoke with private diesel tech who said he can fix it easily but this would void my warranty. The fight shall go on