2021 Lincoln Nautilus Grand Touring Plug-in Hybrid

2 hours ago, RedHoncho01 said:

Does anyone know if there will be a Grand Touring model of the 2021 Lincoln Nautilus?  I'm interested in a plug-in hybrid.  I find the Corsair too small and the Aviator too large for my taste.  The Nautilus is the Goldilocks size for me.

I don't think we'll see any hybrid option with the Nautilus until its replacement arrives, though whether there even will be one is up in the air. As I understand it, FMC was pretty far along with its redesign of the Nautilus which would have brought in a hybrid option (to have come out probably next year) but then changed its mind and put a hold on the project and went with a second mid-cycle refresh (this time, redoing a good bit of the interior) instead. The first refresh was when the MKX became the Nautilus for MY2019 with a major redo of the front end exterior. No word at all has come out on what is planned for the space the Nautilus holds. I have a 2019 Nautilus and I agree. The Corsair's a bit too small (and has no boosted V6 option) and the Aviator's too big. It is rumored that this space will end up being filled by an all-new all-electric design coming out in a few years. Another rumor is that, in addition to the BEV, a more traditional vehicle with a hybrid option, maybe even with the Nautilus name, will continue in the Lincoln line-up but possibly be sourced from China once the current model is no longer being produced in its Canadian plant (which will be converted over to only building BEVs), but no one really knows.

Edited by Gurgeh

26 minutes ago, akirby said:

No sense investing in a dead platform.  The real problem is the next Gen is still a few years away.  But Ford has to prioritize the entire portfolio and that means some things have to wait

CD4 is already FHEV and PHEV capable, just never been in Edge and Nautilus/MKX. I don't think much investment would be required save for tooling at the plant and some body tweaks. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

CD4 is already FHEV and PHEV capable, just never been in Edge and Nautilus/MKX. I don't think much investment would be required save for tooling at the plant and some body tweaks. 

But it would still require significant work to get there and the cd4 hev power train is no longer in production (2.0 replaced by the new C2 2.5L version). 

Makes far more sense to do it on C2 which I think was the plan before it got deprioritized for BEVs.

39 minutes ago, akirby said:

But it would still require significant work to get there and the cd4 hev power train is no longer in production (2.0 replaced by the new C2 2.5L version). 

Makes far more sense to do it on C2 which I think was the plan before it got deprioritized for BEVs.

Fair enough 

9 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Fair enough 

It was a nice thought but even if you could use the 2.5 hybrid powertrain, there's the issue of battery storage

in CD4 which C2 corrects.... And then there's CD4 body packaging with the Edge/ Nautilus having only a

smallish advantage with hip and shoulder room over Escape andCorsair but enough for some to continue

buying (love to see C2 Edge / Nautilus with more space but I know that won't happen)

Edited by jpd80

On 2/5/2021 at 8:40 PM, fuzzymoomoo said:

I agree. Space utilization for C2 so far has been impressive to me. Bronco Sport for one doesn't seem like it's as small as it is on the inside. It's really well packaged. 

A friend of mine was checking out a Bronco Sport and for curiosity sake, we were comparing interior specs to that of his 2000 Explorer. After comparing the specs I was really surprised at how well they were able to exceed most of the 2000 explorers specs in such a smaller package.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

As much as I said the Corsair was too small for me I test drove one a few weeks ago.  I was thoroughly impressed with the handling and also felt like there was more room inside than the original impression I had.  The capability to pull the rear seat forward will make a difference in the cargo capacity inside the hatch.  I was going to trade my Nautilus for the Corsair I test drove.  My father is a Ford retiree I qualify for the Z plan.  The dealer wouldn't give me the Z plan from any vehicle in dealer inventory.  The only way I could get that was to order a new vehicle.

I thought about it over the weekend and viewed the Lincoln Corsair site.  I found the Corsair Grand Touring was now available on the Build To Price and that dealers were accepting orders.  So I went to the dealership last Monday and ordered a Corsair Grand Touring I.  The dealer told me it could be up to 120 days before I receive it.  I spoke to a friend who works at Louisville Assembly where it is built.  The plant is down until July 19 due to the semiconductor supply issue.  He told me it would most likely be about 2 weeks before they start building the Corsair Grand Touring.