Microchip Shortage Downtime

I know that Louisville Assembly has been down because of this issue in recent weeks. Up here at OAC we went back on the 25th from Xmas holidays and 2 week layoff,   built roughly 400 units and got laid off again for the rest of the week and now we are down to til February 8th. Now this microchip shortage is affecting Chicago Assembly as they will only be running one shift. This is obviously gonna be a major issue this year and the rolling layoffs are gonna continue until they can solve this whenever the hell that will be.  I’m pretty sure the trucks and the Bronco are A1 priority for Ford to source these parts to first as they come. It’s gonna be an interesting year.

Edited by Oacjay98

1 hour ago, jpd80 said:

Sorry Ford but your production is now  reduced because the main market for chip production is home entainment.

A bit ironic if workers are now sent home to possibly play the games that took their work.

They also scaled back orders believing that sales would be down in automotive. This is an industry crisis. The Chrysler plant in Bramalea Ontario is in the last day of being off for the past 3 weeks. We will be hearing tons about this. Your USA presidents administration is supposed to meet with officials in Taiwan to discuss production ramp up of microchips.

Edited by Oacjay98

5 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

Well with everything that has been going on with China and then add in COVID (oh yeah that came from China too) EVERYONE should be seriously looking at bringing back production (or at least a portion of it) to their home countries. 

They’re too fuckin greedy! I highly doubt these corporations will bring back much. I’m a skeptic, I could be wrong. I would hope this makes them rethink their supply chain management.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Oacjay98 said:

All this outsourcing is coming back to haunt these corporations! Makes me sick! China every damn thing! 

It's not just China. We had a Saturday cancelled last weekend because of a part from Thailand, and tomorrow might be cancelled tomorrow too because of that same part. 

2 minutes ago, Oacjay98 said:

They’re too fuckin greedy! I highly doubt these corporations will bring back much. I’m a skeptic, I could be wrong. I would hope this makes them rethink their supply chain management.

Given the fact that they can't even fucking make anything because of a supplier issue completely fucks them...so your getting it from both ends. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

Well with everything that has been going on with China and then add in COVID (oh yeah that came from China too) EVERYONE should be seriously looking at bringing back production (or at least a portion of it) to their home countries. 

Ha, yeah right.  If anything, (certain) powers that be want us MORE dependent upon other countries.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

It's not just China. We had a Saturday cancelled last weekend because of a part from Thailand, and tomorrow might be cancelled tomorrow too because of that same part. 

This is terrible honestly. They must be scrambling to try and resolve this fast.

1 hour ago, jpd80 said:

Sorry Ford but your production is now  reduced because the main market for chip production is home entainment.

A bit ironic if workers are now sent home to possibly play the games that took their work.

I can't help but think we have far too many computers and sensors in our cars.  Cross traffic sensors, blind spot sensors, touch screen everything.... it seems like too much of a good thing. Automakers need to just let people drive again.  A modern vehicle with maybe just a little less tech would be pretty amazing.

33 minutes ago, Oacjay98 said:

Problem is businesses have short term memories. So say we fix the problem.... but then 10 years from now when COVID is a distant memory and management has retired or moved on... some hotshot new guy has a great idea to save money by moving manufacturing to China.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, probowler said:

Problem is businesses have short term memories. So say we fix the problem.... but then 10 years from now when COVID is a distant memory and management has retired or moved on... some hotshot new guy has a great idea to save money by moving manufacturing to China.

Not even that, the North American Auto industry will lump it for now while pressuring their chip suppliers to ramp up supply. In some ways, it's good that Bronco was delayed for a bit until supply issues are overcome. The next few months are going  to be painful but Ford has a lot of company.

Edited by jpd80

8 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

Not even that, the North American Auto industry will lump it for now while pressuring their chip suppliers to ramp up supply. In some ways, it's good that Bronco was delayed for a bit until supply issues are overcome. The next few months are going  to be painful but Ford has a lot of company.

Bronco production will be impacted well beyond this chip shortage.  My opinion of course, more supplier/part delays are coming unfortunately.  I’m prepared to wait while hoping for the best possible scenario on production estimates.  I agree though, Ford isn’t the only auto manufacturer in this situation.  

1 hour ago, probowler said:

I can't help but think we have far too many computers and sensors in our cars.  Cross traffic sensors, blind spot sensors, touch screen everything.... it seems like too much of a good thing. Automakers need to just let people drive again.  A modern vehicle with maybe just a little less tech would be pretty amazing.

Where did this desire for all this tech come from,  if the buying public wasn’t demanding it, it wouldn’t  be there.  The internet tells the people  manufacturer x has this great new tech, guess what, every manufacturer needs it.  I don’t use half the stuff packed into the electronics of my vehicles, but if it wasn’t there the manufacturer would get skewered by the press.  The wealth of information and misinformation available to anybody makes it almost impossible to make rationale decisions.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, pictor said:

Where did this desire for all this tech come from,  if the buying public wasn’t demanding it, it wouldn’t  be there.  The internet tells the people  manufacturer x has this great new tech, guess what, every manufacturer needs it.  I don’t use half the stuff packed into the electronics of my vehicles, but if it wasn’t there the manufacturer would get skewered by the press.  The wealth of information and misinformation available to anybody makes it almost impossible to make rationale decisions.  

I tend to think it is manufactured demand (though there are a lot of people that do genuinely want it). I think the biggest driver of this tech is financial incentive. Insurance companies want to save money, airbag manufacturers want to sell more airbags, and the NHSTA has to justify their existence.

I guess my question is, how much of that demand is truly organic? Would Tesla be as successful selling their vehicles if there were no EV subsidies? Would even a single Chevy Volt have been sold absent government incentives? Mayyyybe a couple??

25 minutes ago, pictor said:

The public wasn’t demanding it.  Automakers convinced people they needed a lot of this garbage. 

It’s astounding that people could drive in the past when their cars didn’t have all this stuff.  What a mystery.  

I think we’ve reached peak usefulness for technology.  We are on the downhill slide where these companies are thinking they are creating useful things but in reality it’s just adding complication and aggravation.  Social media has legitimately ruined this country as well.  If I were king for the day I would eliminate all forms of social media.  That would start the process of improving this country.  It’s all just too much.  

• Like 3

Many people don’t want stripped out models, they expect a lot of features to be standard or accessible via affordable packages of the most popular groups of features. 

we are long past manufacturers caring about buyers who want the cheapest anything, even the Korean brands are starting to edge up in pricing.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, FR739 said:

The public wasn’t demanding it.  Automakers convinced people they needed a lot of this garbage. 

It’s astounding that people could drive in the past when their cars didn’t have all this stuff.  What a mystery.  

I think we’ve reached peak usefulness for technology.  We are on the downhill slide where these companies are thinking they are creating useful things but in reality it’s just adding complication and aggravation.  Social media has legitimately ruined this country as well.  If I were king for the day I would eliminate all forms of social media.  That would start the process of improving this country.  It’s all just too much.  

I've been thinking a lot about this lately since I drove my moms challenger for the first time. I tried adjusting the radio with the touchscreen but quickly reverted back to the physical controls. I'm sure it works fine once you're used to it, but it's not intuitive, and I don't think that makes for a great control interface in a vehicle.

I just don't think a touchscreen interface with multiple hidden pages and option menus can hold a candle to the simplicity and ease of use of a well-designed physical control system.

car_ui_concept_shot.gif

Vs

2008-03-05_112242_dash.png

^^ Give me this with steering controls all day.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FR739 said:

Your only focusing on the negative parts...and guess what this message board is a form of social media. 

The real issue is that other platforms (i.e. Twitter for example) often gives the "worse" kind of people a megaphone to draw attention to themselves or their causes. When you only make up less then 1-5% of the population, why should people bend over backwards to accommodate you? Then that same groups wants to extract a pound of flesh from you because there is no retribution to you if your in the wrong. 

Then you have people that act like complete assholes on line and they are often people that you are friends with. I had a friend of a friend say I love you as a person, but I hate the Facebook version of you.  

Perhaps the scariest thing to take from all of this is that we are getting all this information, good, bad and indifferent and the vast majority people either can't or won't process it. We are more or less at the stage where the printing press or radio was when it was first invented and they caused their own issues that caused alot of people to die. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Many people don’t want stripped out models, they expect a lot of features to be standard or accessible via affordable packages of the most popular groups of features. 

we are long past manufacturers caring about buyers who want the cheapest anything, even the Korean brands are starting to edge up in pricing.

The thing is that what you can get in car vs a truck are two completely different things. 

I'm spending just over $47K for a Bronco....that doesn't have alot of the features of my SHO, which nearly cost the same as the Bronco did back in 2013. 

A 2017 Escape SEL has more options to it then a low end 2013 Escape Ti does-which is why I think Ford was taking it in the ass profit wise with the Escape...

7 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

EVERYONE should be seriously looking at bringing back production (or at least a portion of it) to their home countries. 

Only a few countries have the combination of technical expertise, infrastructure, and capital & labor markets to operate pure-play semiconductor foundries economically. Taiwan, China, Singapore, and South Korea are the strongest , with the U.S., parts of the EU, and Israel being secondary players.

Edited by rperez817