Microchip Shortage Downtime

7 hours ago, rperez817 said:

Only a few countries have the combination of technical expertise, infrastructure, and capital & labor markets to operate pure-play semiconductor foundries economically. Taiwan, China, Singapore, and South Korea are the strongest , with the U.S., parts of the EU, and Israel being secondary players.

That is the reality folks and we can bitch all we want but those industries are not coming back here. Everyone has contributed to this and it has been a long time in the making, as other countries grow and prosper, they want the same shit we do. 

• Like 1

fuzztmoomoo asked, "Is that rebuilt or just that well maintained?"

I'm this Rambler's second owner, and one of the first things I did was to "detail" the engine compartment. To do it correctly, I yanked the engine out of the car and did a lot of research to get the correct paint color and find reproduction decals. Here's what the engine looked like when I purchased the car from its original owner:

Engine Before.JPG

• Like 2

3 hours ago, kyle said:

That is the reality folks and we can bitch all we want but those industries are not coming back here. Everyone has contributed to this and it has been a long time in the making, as other countries grow and prosper, they want the same shit we do. 

Thank you kyle sir. Below is a diagram showing integrated circuit exports from originating region/country in 2016. I don't have the figures for 2020, but the proportions should be similar. Israel has been growing pretty fast in terms of its semiconductor fab production capabilities.

Most noteworthy is that with the exception of Israel, countries outside East and Southeast Asia, North America, and Europe don't have much presence in the semiconductor fabrication industry. That is unlikely to change.

1280px-Who_exported_Electronic_integrate

Edited by rperez817

3 hours ago, Exit32 said:

fuzztmoomoo asked, "Is that rebuilt or just that well maintained?"

I'm this Rambler's second owner, and one of the first things I did was to "detail" the engine compartment. To do it correctly, I yanked the engine out of the car and did a lot of research to get the correct paint color and find reproduction decals. Here's what the engine looked like when I purchased the car from its original owner:

Engine Before.JPG

That's awesome. Did you do a full rebuild of the engine while you had it out or no? 

6 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Inflation has to be a big factor in that equation too. 

I don’t think so to a point-it’s the market. 

Cars are cheaper due to the fact that there is so much competition in the market. Even CUVs are starting to see this-like I said elsewhere, my wife’s Escape XLT has more options on it vs my parents Escape Ti and was about $5 grand cheaper. 

The Bronco vs SHO isn’t apples to apples either-I forgot that the Bronco has additional safety stuff and the things it’s missing vs my SHO are electric seats (weather proofing issue I’m assuming), heated steering wheel (at least in the trim I got), and some other stuff I barely use. Oh seat material is different too, but to be honest I prefer cloth seats to leather or the suede seats in my SHO. 

the big thing you gain with the Bronco is the removable doors and roof, which basically makes it a convertible 

Think about it like this, with the SHO, you're paying for those extra electronic and comfort features, and all the parts, wiring, and sensors that go with it.

The Bronco has less of those features, but has something the Sho doesn't. A more robust 4x4 system, more heavy duty off-road components, and other features your car doesn't have like electronic swaybars and locking diffs.

So yes they are similar in cost, but what you're actually paying for is pretty different.

22 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

Well with everything that has been going on with China and then add in COVID (oh yeah that came from China too) EVERYONE should be seriously looking at bringing back production (or at least a portion of it) to their home countries. 

If not home countries, at least second sourcing.  That happened big time after the earthquake /tsunami/nuclear plant disaster in Japan.  I thought it had started happening with China after The trump administration added some tariffs to the mix.  Trump had advocated for expanding chip production in the US and even had some deal for TSMC to build or refurb an intel plant in AZ.  Certainly not enough, though.  There are many benefits to local production.  We'll see if the current administration supports it.

22 hours ago, Oacjay98 said:

They’re too fuckin greedy! I highly doubt these corporations will bring back much. I’m a skeptic, I could be wrong. I would hope this makes them rethink their supply chain management.

A $15 minimum wage may not help.  Could be a bunch of $12-$14 an hour entry level manufacturing jobs that no longer make sense to do here.  Problem is, when the whole plant closes, it also takes the higher paying jobs with it and sometimes the whole community.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, paintguy said:

All right. I will take you down the rabbit hole. The reason for the chip shortage is they are being planted in the COVID vaccine doses. Bill Gates doesn't want you to know this. Black helicopters are hovering over my house. Hope I can finish this. LOL

Where’s my tin foil hat when I need it?   There was some company that implanted microchips in their employees so they could bill them for using the company cafeteria.

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, slemke said:

Trump had advocated for expanding chip production in the US and even had some deal for TSMC to build or refurb an intel plant in AZ.  Certainly not enough, though.  There are many benefits to local production.  We'll see if the current administration supports it.

U.S. Senator from Texas John Cornyn introduced a bill last summer that provides tax breaks, subsidies, and other policies for promoting semiconductor device research, development, and manufacturing in the U.S. It was called Creating Helpful Incentives to Produce Semiconductors (CHIPS) for America Act. Bipartisan, Bicameral Bill Will Help Bring Production of Semiconductors, Critical to National Security, Back to U.S. | United States Senator John Cornyn, Texas (senate.gov)

Integrated Design-Manufacturer (IDM) semiconductor foundries probably make more sense for the U.S., rather than pure-play foundries.

Edited by rperez817
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, rperez817 said:

U.S. Senator from Texas John Cornyn introduced a bill last summer that provides tax breaks, subsidies, and other policies for promoting semiconductor device research, development, and manufacturing in the U.S. It was called Creating Helpful Incentives to Produce Semiconductors (CHIPS) for America Act. Bipartisan, Bicameral Bill Will Help Bring Production of Semiconductors, Critical to National Security, Back to U.S. | United States Senator John Cornyn, Texas (senate.gov)

Integrated Design-Manufacturer (IDM) semiconductor foundries probably make more sense for the U.S., rather than pure-play foundries.

Definitely a national security issue.  Remember Huawei and their ban in the US (and other countries) over national security issues in 2019?  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Yeah, good luck with that. 

The current administration is much more likely to support the U.S. semiconductor industry than the previous one, especially on the basis of national security. The previous U.S. President vetoed the 2021 National Defense Authorization Act that included Title XCIX, “Creating Helpful Incentives to Produce Semiconductors for America". As a result, Semiconductor Industry Association pushed Congress to override the veto, which they did. Congress Needs to Override President’s Veto of NDAA - Semiconductor Industry Association (semiconductors.org)

2 hours ago, slemke said:

If not home countries, at least second sourcing.  That happened big time after the earthquake /tsunami/nuclear plant disaster in Japan.  I thought it had started happening with China after The trump administration added some tariffs to the mix.  Trump had advocated for expanding chip production in the US and even had some deal for TSMC to build or refurb an intel plant in AZ.  Certainly not enough, though.  There are many benefits to local production.  We'll see if the current administration supports it.

Intel makes most of its semiconductors in U.S. and its stock lately has been hammered because it hasn't gone overseas even though earnings and revenue is way up. The new CEO the other day said he wants to keep production here, and Intel stock got hammered again after blow out earnings report and dividend increase. Go figure. I tell should be a $150 stock, but it isn't because it hasn't gone overseas.

1 hour ago, FordBuyer said:

Intel makes most of its semiconductors in U.S. and its stock lately has been hammered because it hasn't gone overseas even though earnings and revenue is way up. 

In the past decade Intel's manufacturing processes have lagged the best of the pure-play foundries, especially TSMC, and some of the IDMs as well. Intel experienced ongoing issues with fabs equipped for 10nm process nodes, and most recently saw a 6 month delay getting its 7nm nodes up to snuff after working out manufacturing issues for that process.

Intel should be OK fabricating most of its ICs in-house as it optimizes its process node technology, but still needs to consider outsourcing some production to pure-play foundries. Intel's current CEO Pat Gelsinger plans to do both. 

Edited by rperez817

1 hour ago, Alex D. said:

Ironically enough, there is a semiconductor design and manufacturing center here in Idaho, and they produce products for the automotive sector. Clearly, more would help.

Idaho along with its neighbor Oregon are among the leading U.S. states for semiconductor device manufacturing. I think ON Semiconductor operates fabs in Nampa (near Boise) and in Pocatello.