'20 Navigator brand new making chirp sound from engine

Kevbo

I have a brand new 2020 Navigator with only 400 miles and it just started making a loud chirping sound in the engine.  The dealer said it's "normal when it's cold" and coming "from the high pressure fuel pump" ---- I don't accept that answer on a vehicle that cost this much money, and DIDN'T make that noise when it was cold a few weeks ago when I bought it.  Temp was around 32 when it makes the noise.  I went to another dealer,  and looked at a new 2020 they were tyring to get rid of, started it up, it was around 30, and there was no chirp.  I uploaded a video, hoping it works and someone might have an idea.  Any advice appreciated!  (in case video attachment doesn't work, I uploaded to YouTube, hope I am allowed to post the link :  

Edited by Kevbo

I mean, it's pretty loud, but in the video it sounds like a high pitched noise.  I don't hear it on other Nav's.   Does your sound like that?  I contacted the local dealer (I bought it from a dealer about an hour away b/c they had the one I wanted) and they told me to take it to the dealer I bought it from......absurd!

2 hours ago, Kevbo said:

I mean, it's pretty loud, but in the video it sounds like a high pitched noise.  I don't hear it on other Nav's.   Does your sound like that?  I contacted the local dealer (I bought it from a dealer about an hour away b/c they had the one I wanted) and they told me to take it to the dealer I bought it from......absurd!

Okay I can hear it now that you described it like that. I know the EB engine does make some different sounds in about the first minute after starting it up. I don't think I have really listened to it with the hood open. Does it go away after a short period of time or continue? Stand by, I'll go out and check mine out. 

Okay, yes, mine was making that sound as well. I didn't find it to be very loud. I certainly have never heard it from within the vehicle. Hard to tell if it is the exact sound you are hearing. If so, I'd say it must be normal unless mine is screwed up, too, lol. But, I'd have your dealer check it out or listen to another Navigator at the dealer or maybe a Raptor if you can. 

• Like 1

The other dealer said the car should sound exactly like it does at the dealer.  The car was cold at the dealer and made no noise like this.   Issue I have with my dealer is they don't want to look at it.  They point blank told me to take it someplace else.  Uh, hell no, I paid a lot of money for this car.  I'll have it looked at by any Lincoln dealer.

2 hours ago, Kevbo said:

The other dealer said the car should sound exactly like it does at the dealer.  The car was cold at the dealer and made no noise like this.   Issue I have with my dealer is they don't want to look at it.  They point blank told me to take it someplace else.  Uh, hell no, I paid a lot of money for this car.  I'll have it looked at by any Lincoln dealer.

Oh wow. Agreed. Any dealer should do that. 

• Like 1

On 2/4/2021 at 11:45 AM, Black Label said:

So, what did the other dealer say about yours and what might be the source of the noise?

The local dealer told me it's the "high pressure fuel pump" making the noise when it's cold.  Oh, get this, they said the pick up and delivery is only for customers who buy from them.  Is that true?!

36 minutes ago, Kevbo said:

The local dealer told me it's the "high pressure fuel pump" making the noise when it's cold.  Oh, get this, they said the pick up and delivery is only for customers who buy from them.  Is that true?!

17 minutes ago, akirby said:

Not true at all.

Agree. Totally false. 

2 hours ago, Black Label said:

Agree. Totally false. 

Here's the email from the dealer president: "Pick up and Delivery is the responsibility of the selling dealer. We reserve Pick up and Delivery for our clients who purchased there vehicles form us. "

So I called Lincoln Concierge and they said a dealership can do this if they've had abuse from a customer, or in rare cases, in some metro areas where there are not enough loaner vehicles.  They are doing a "negative feedback" review with the dealer.  I most likely will never set foot in that place at this point.  Unreal that a dealership wants to play dumb games. 

• Angry 1

24 minutes ago, Kevbo said:

Here's the email from the dealer president: "Pick up and Delivery is the responsibility of the selling dealer. We reserve Pick up and Delivery for our clients who purchased there vehicles form us. "

So I called Lincoln Concierge and they said a dealership can do this if they've had abuse from a customer, or in rare cases, in some metro areas where there are not enough loaner vehicles.  They are doing a "negative feedback" review with the dealer.  I most likely will never set foot in that place at this point.  Unreal that a dealership wants to play dumb games. 

Did I ask already what city you are in?

17 hours ago, Black Label said:

Did I ask already what city you are in?

I'm in the northern Philly burbs.  The dealer is in Lawrenceville NJ about 9 miles from me.   I called Beans Lincoln in Doylestown PA and asked them if they do pick up and delivery if I didn't buy from them and they said "of course, everyone does" - then I told her this story and she was shocked and said she would be glad to have me as a customer.  So that's solved.   Just amazed a Lincoln dealer would say something so crappy.   I'll be sure to never send the crummy dealer a referral, and I'll even go out of my way to make sure anyone who asks me about my vehicle avoids them.   Who the hell turns away a customer!?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kevbo said:

I'm in the northern Philly burbs.  The dealer is in Lawrenceville NJ about 9 miles from me.   I called Beans Lincoln in Doylestown PA and asked them if they do pick up and delivery if I didn't buy from them and they said "of course, everyone does" - then I told her this story and she was shocked and said she would be glad to have me as a customer.  So that's solved.   Just amazed a Lincoln dealer would say something so crappy.   I'll be sure to never send the crummy dealer a referral, and I'll even go out of my way to make sure anyone who asks me about my vehicle avoids them.   Who the hell turns away a customer!?

I have pilot friends who live in the Doylestown area. They always say good things. Glad you are getting it worked out. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Sounds like the Cam Phasers to me. But that issue was supposedly corrected with the 3.5 back in 2018 / 2019.  Should not be happening in a brand new 2020.  !!   Dealer needs to step up and deal with it.  It is a major engine tear down to replace the Cam Phasers.!  I would be sick to my stomach to think about them tearing down my brand new 2020 motor with 400 miles on it!  Hope you get something corrected.  Keep us updated please!

Edited by TrentM
  • Like 1