Ford & Google sign 6 year deal

Ford and Google are entering a six-year deal that will make the tech giant responsible for much of the automaker’s growing in-vehicle connectivity. Google will also provide cloud computing and other technology services.

The partnership announced Monday is designed to streamline Ford’s operations and accelerate an ongoing $11 billion restructuring plan. It marks a major shift for the automaker, which has spent hundreds of millions of dollars annually in recent years to develop and maintain such systems.

Ford and Google sign six-year deal for Android, in-car apps, cloud (cnbc.com)

• Like 3

Just now, rperez817 said:

That's great news for both Ford and Google. Wonder if Ford will partner with Google for autonomous vehicle software? GM announced last week they will be using Microsoft software for their AV.

That would make sense. One of the great things about Google (for the most part) is their open source approach to software.

• Like 1

Ugh. My 2015 Edge was the last year of MFT in an all new model. My 2021 MME will be will be all new and have one of the final years of an all new SYNC 4.  It’d be nice if Android Auto and CarPlay evolved to take over more of the interface and essentially allow one to choose the interface/upgrade your vehicle with your phone. 

42 minutes ago, sullynd said:

Ugh. My 2015 Edge was the last year of MFT in an all new model. My 2021 MME will be will be all new and have one of the final years of an all new SYNC 4.  It’d be nice if Android Auto and CarPlay evolved to take over more of the interface and essentially allow one to choose the interface/upgrade your vehicle with your phone. 

I disagree.  For one, I think it'll be a few years before you see any changes from SYNC 4.  2) I prefer the vehicle interface to the phone's for the vehicle.

• Like 1

Imagine if Apple and Google offered their own complete UI that would control all the features the manufactures UI does (i.e. Sync, UConnect, etc.). The manufacturers wouldn't have to develop their own unless they so choose. This would be great for the consumer since you could potentially have a very similar interface no matter which vehicle you are in.

• Like 1

On 2/1/2021 at 10:23 AM, rperez817 said:

That's great news for both Ford and Google. Wonder if Ford will partner with Google for autonomous vehicle software? GM announced last week they will be using Microsoft software for their AV.

That is literally a match made in Heaven, it should be one of the glitchiest products ever devised.  

1 hour ago, rperez817 said:

The initial version of MyFordTouch & MyLincolnTouch (Microsoft based) takes that honor. I doubt any product or service that comes from the Ford-Google deal will be that horrible.

The MFT issues had nothing to do with the underlying OS and everything to do with the 3rd party Ford chose to handle the development. 

6 hours ago, CurtisH said:

The MFT issues had nothing to do with the underlying OS

The underlying OS was "Windows Embedded Automotive" based on Windows CE. Microsoft stopped development work on that OS many years ago and will stop providing tech support for it this March. Good riddance. Windows Embedded Automotive was complete trash which is why all automakers that formerly used it for infotainment systems eventually moved to another platform. Ford chose QNX for Sync 3.

The most recent Microsoft embedded OS, Azure Sphere, should be excellent. It uses Linux kernel. Microsoft has come a long way improving its products in recent years.

15 hours ago, rperez817 said:

The initial version of MyFordTouch & MyLincolnTouch (Microsoft based) takes that honor. I doubt any product or service that comes from the Ford-Google deal will be that horrible.

That was Ford and Microsoft... 

Also, my GT500 has the initial version of MFT and it's rock solid.  

Edited by ESP08

24 minutes ago, ESP08 said:

MyFordTouch was a black mark for both Ford and Microsoft. Both companies learned from the MyFordTouch disaster and moved on. As mentioned in my previous post, Microsoft has come a long way since then. The computer software Microsoft makes nowadays is much better. GM's partnership with Microsoft for autonomous vehicle software is a good one, and Ford's deal with Google is a good one too.

Maybe someday in the future Ford will collaborate with Microsoft again.

Edited by rperez817

22 minutes ago, ESP08 said:

Also, my GT500 has the initial version of MFT and it's rock solid.  

MFT was Microsoft OS but the MFT app was built by a company called BSquare made up of former Microsoft employees.  Microsoft itself was not involved with MFT until they offered to help Ford fix what BSquare couldn’t.   And the bugs were with MFT and the hardware not the OS.

Once they got to mid 2013 it was very solid except for APIM hardware issues.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, akirby said:

MFT was Microsoft OS but the MFT app was built by a company called BSquare made up of former Microsoft employees.  Microsoft itself was not involved with MFT until they offered to help Ford fix what BSquare couldn’t.   And the bugs were with MFT and the hardware not the OS.

Once they got to mid 2013 it was very solid except for APIM hardware issues.

It works great in my 2013. Seems very responsive, and does not lag at all. I have had zero issues with MFT.

34 minutes ago, Trailhiker said:

It works great in my 2013. Seems very responsive, and does not lag at all. I have had zero issues with MFT.

It took them a couple updates, mine does some werid crap at times, but a restart fixes it.

Sync3 is completely bulletproof from my use of it in my wife's Escape.