Cadillac Reveals CT4V/CT5V Blackwings

rmc523

https://www.autoblog.com/2021/02/01/2022-cadillac-ct5v-ct4v-blackwing-reveal/

2022 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing, CT4-V Blackwing

2022 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing, CT4-V Blackwing

They're finally here, the real successors to the Cadillac CTS-V and ATS-V: the 2022 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing and CT4-V Blackwing. And at least on paper, they sure seem like worthy successors to those superb super sedans. They're more powerful, come with standard manual transmissions, and feature the latest and greatest chassis upgrades available.

We'll start things off with the most beastly of the Caddies, the CT5-V Blackwing. Like the CTS-V predecessor, the Blackwing gets a supercharged 6.2-liter pushrod V8. But thanks to intake and exhaust improvements, output is up to 668 horsepower and 659 pound-feet of torque, as opposed to the CTS-V's 640 horses and 630 pound-feet. The engine also is handbuilt in Bowling Green, Ky., just like the short-lived turbocharged DOHC Blackwing V8. It's coupled either to a six-speed manual transmission with a twin-disc clutch, rev matching and no-lift shifting, or a 10-speed 10L90 automatic transmission. Power goes to the electronically controlled limited-slip differential at the rear, and rear-wheel drive is the only drive configuration available. The transmission and differential each get their own oil coolers, too. Cadillac says the CT5-V Blackwing should be able to hit 60 mph in 3.7 seconds with the automatic transmission, and the top speed is over 200 mph.

As for the CT4-V Blackwing, it gets a twin-turbocharged 3.6-liter V6 built in Canada, and although it is more powerful than the previous car, it's only by a small amount. The CT4-V Blackwing makes 472 horsepower versus the ATS-V's 464, and the 445 pound-feet of torque is the same between each car. Just like the CT5-V Blackwing, the CT4-V gets either the same six-speed manual transmission or a 10-speed 10L80 automatic transmission, the electronically-controlled limited-slip differential, and the oil coolers. Picking the manual transmission has extra perks on the CT4-V Blackwing, though. The engines in manual cars received titanium connecting rods and revised crankshaft counterweights. The manual transmission's no-lift shift functionality is also more helpful on the CT4-V Blackwing since it keeps the car in boost between gears. Still, Cadillac's 0-60 mph time estimate is for the automatic model at 3.8 seconds. Top speed is 189 mph.

More at the link above.

45 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

I don't think I've ever seen a CT4 or CT5 on the road...then again I haven't really driven that much this past year ?

The CUVs they do look like trash vs what Lincoln has been doing, maybe outside of the Escalade  

I've seen a few.  I prefer the 5's look over the 4's with the blank trunk.

The first manual transmission CT4-V Blackwing and the first manual transmission CT5-V Blackwing produced will not be available for regular retail sale. Cadillac states in the FAQ "GM intends to auction the first manual transmission VINs for the CT4-V Blackwing and CT5-V Blackwing and donate the proceeds to a worthy cause."

3 minutes ago, papilgee4evaeva said:

I like the specs, but not having AWD with all that power is a head-scratcher.

Almost as much a head-scratcher as trying to claim that these model lines compete in a class below where they really do.

But RWD! LOL

The GT500 doesn't have AWD either and has more power. 

3 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

But RWD! LOL

The GT500 doesn't have AWD either and has more power. 

One of the complaints about the last CTS-V (at least in a Car and Driver comparo) was that it couldn't put all 640 horses down and thus got passed by heavier and less-powerful cars.  It will be interesting to see if this car does a better job of it... but even still, without AWD Cadillac still isn't gonna catch ze Germans that it insists on chasing.

Conversely, Mustang isn't in a segment where AWD is prevalent, so no issues there.

Edited by papilgee4evaeva

Just now, papilgee4evaeva said:

One of the complaints about the last CTS-V (at least in a Car and Driver comparo) was that it couldn't put all 640 horses down and thus got passed by heavier and less-powerful cars.  It will be interesting to see if this car does a better job of it... but even still, without AWD Cadillac still isn't gonna catch ze Germans that it insists on chasing.

Conversely, Mustang isn't in a segment where AWD is prevalent, so no issues there.

I'm also gonna assume the CT doesn't have super wide ass tires in the back like the GT500 either. 

6 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

I'm also gonna assume the CT doesn't have super wide ass tires in the back like the GT500 either. 

295 in the CTSV, 315 in the GT500.

Just read that the CT5 Blackwing has 305 in the rear (edit: right before rperez posted his figures)... apparently they might have learned something.

Edited by papilgee4evaeva
  • Thanks 1

On 2/4/2021 at 7:02 AM, papilgee4evaeva said:

I like the specs, but not having AWD with all that power is a head-scratcher.

Almost as much a head-scratcher as trying to claim that these model lines compete in a class below where they really do.

Lack of AWD is an interesting decision but I think it has to do with certification costs of the manual + AWD combo. Since these cars are only going to sell in US and in quite limited numbers, I don't blame GM for skipping AWD. If they did automatic only then maybe they would have gone with AWD. 

The competition depends on your point of view. You can either compare it to cars with similar size or similar MSRP. 

If you look at size, CT5-V BW is closer to BMW M5 and Mercedes E63 but it is priced very close to BMW M3 and C63.

Same thing with CT4-V BW... size closer to BMW M3 and Audi RS5 but priced near BMW M2 and RS3. 

You can't please everyone all the time but I see no problem with people comparing these cars based on price. 

Edited by bzcat