Electronic Limited Slip (eLSD)

haulingit

Getting ready to order a 2021 Lincoln Navigator L, Reserve with 4x4.

An option I am including is the Heavy Duty Trailer Tow Package.

While looking in the December 2020 Order Guide it mentions an option described as

"Electronic Traction Assist (Electronic Limited Slip –
eLSD) Rear Axle (62E) now available as a standalone
option on Navigator Reserve (200A/201A/208A) and
standard on Navigator Black Label (800A)"

I don't see this on the Lincoln Navigator vehicle Build webpage, no matter the configuration selections I make.

Is it available for 4x4 Navigators?   I ask because I have an impression it is a feature for 4x2 vehicles.

If yes, how much is that option?

thank you

Edited by haulingit

I found an article that said it was include in the 2020 Heavy Duty Trailer Tow Package.

I brought up the 2020 Lincoln Navigator Reserve build webpage, and the description for the Heavy Duty Trailer Tow Package includes the wording "Available on Reserve Series (4x2 and 4x4)".

• Like 1

On 2/3/2021 at 9:49 AM, theoldwizard1 said:

IIRC, eLSD simply applies the brake to the tire that is spinning.  The open differential "does its thing" and send power to the opposite tire.

Some Ford products offer electronic locking rear axle.  A better option, IMHO.

I don't think so.   Brake and Engine Actuate Traction Control is a standard feature and that's been available as Traction Control since they went to 4 channel ABS a couple of decades ago.

It also says this in the description:  

Rear Axle – Electronic Traction Assist (Electronic Limited Slip Differential – eLSD)

So I think it's safe to say this is the E-Locker.

8 hours ago, theoldwizard1 said:

Exactly !  It brakes the slipping wheel.

That is not what a LSD does and I feel certain an eLSD doesn't either. A LSD send torque to the non-slipping wheel. In the eLSD context, it isn't purely electronic. I don't know whether Ford uses this unit but if you read this page, there is hydraulic actuation involved to send torque to the non-slipping wheel. https://www.eaton.com/us/en-us/catalog/differentials/intellitrac-differential.html

• Like 1

On 2/5/2021 at 6:39 PM, DCP said:

That is not what a LSD does and I feel certain an eLSD doesn't either. A LSD send torque to the non-slipping wheel. In the eLSD context, it isn't purely electronic. I don't know whether Ford uses this unit but if you read this page, there is hydraulic actuation involved to send torque to the non-slipping wheel. https://www.eaton.com/us/en-us/catalog/differentials/intellitrac-differential.html

Ford sells a true electronic LOCKING axle in the F series.

• 2 months later...

My 2018 Lincoln Navigator L without eLSD has no obvious problems in the snow.  I purposely tried to get it stuck many times and it would not get stuck.  Towing doesnt seem like a problem at all.  If you are getting eLSD for either snow or towing...well...it doesnt seem like it needs it in my experience.  Maybe it might be for very extreme conditions.  The winter storms here have not been Canada or Maine like.  Maybe for certain extreme towing it would be helpful.  However, I didnt feel like I needed it.

16 minutes ago, JustMeInUSA said:

My 2018 Lincoln Navigator L without eLSD has no obvious problems in the snow.  I purposely tried to get it stuck many times and it would not get stuck.  Towing doesnt seem like a problem at all.  If you are getting eLSD for either snow or towing...well...it doesnt seem like it needs it in my experience.  Maybe it might be for very extreme conditions.  The winter storms here have not been Canada or Maine like.  Maybe for certain extreme towing it would be helpful.  However, I didnt feel like I needed it.

Traction control can help a lot by braking the spinning wheel sending torque to the other wheel, but it can't send torque to both rear wheels equally at the same time.  I don't think it's really needed in most cases.    I have it on my F150 but only used it once and even then not sure I needed it.   But 30 years ago I got stuck in the back yard when one of my Ranger rear wheels hit mud and ever since then I vowed never to purchase a truck without it.