Sales Results January '21

53 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

it was roughly 3K units, but the BS sold 8K units, which is really impressive. 

That is the whole idea of adding products in growing segment thing coming to fruition.

Although I think Ford would have preferred if Escape stayed level... I think if Ford wasn't constrained on PHEV availability, Escape would see sales growth. The mainstream C-CUV segment (Escape, CR-V, RAV4, Rogue etc) is one of those segment that is going to convert almost overnight to PHEV and EV dominated sales once retail inventory supply become  secure and stabilize. 

Overall, I think Ford is probably quite happy with Jan sales result. Volume is still down from 2020 but almost all of it is attributable to fleet car sales, the least profitable part of its business; as well as F-150 which is still ramping up (but already reclaimed #1 spot).

Edited by bzcat

24 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

It's more the semiconductor shortage than anything. They were shut down most of January in Louisville because of it. 

Ford has plenty of inventory of non-PHEV Escape on hand to sell. Remember we are looking at comparison to Jan 2020... It's somewhat normal to see sales fall off a year after new model launch. PHEV was supposed to be launched mid/late 2020 to provide a boost to sales and keep the momentum but Ford only delivered a handful of PHEV Escape.

The current shortage of chips may affect March or April sales if Ford can't restore the supply of non-PHEV Escape.

24 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

It's more the semiconductor shortage than anything. They were shut down most of January in Louisville because of it. 

Inventory of 2020 Escapes is really starting to dwindle at central FL Ford dealers and not many 2021 Escapes in stock yet. My local Ford dealer is down to about 15 2020's and only one 2021. With CAP going down to one shift, Explorer inventory is going to get skimpy fast. Already is around here. 

2 hours ago, FR739 said:

Can the substantial drop in Escape sales be attributed to anything other than the BS?

Yes sir. Semiconductor device shortage affecting the assembly plant as fuzzymoomoo mentioned. Also, the 2020 Escape production mix for the U.S. market was skewed toward the uncompetitive 3-cylinder versions rather than the more appealing hybrid, PHEV, and 2.0L 4-cylinder versions. Hopefully this will be addressed for 2021 model year.

Edited by rperez817
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, bzcat said:

Ford has plenty of inventory of non-PHEV Escape on hand to sell. Remember we are looking at comparison to Jan 2020... It's somewhat normal to see sales fall off a year after new model launch. PHEV was supposed to be launched mid/late 2020 to provide a boost to sales and keep the momentum but Ford only delivered a handful of PHEV Escape.

The current shortage of chips may affect March or April sales if Ford can't restore the supply of non-PHEV Escape.

Counterpoint: perhaps they knew it was coming and softened incentives accordingly to try to steer people towards either BS or something else. 

16 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

Yes sir. Semiconductor device shortage affecting the assembly plant as fuzzymoomoo mentioned. Also, the 2020 Escape production mix for the U.S. market was skewed toward the uncompetitive 3-cylinder versions rather than the more appealing hybrid, PHEV, and 2.0L 4-cylinder versions. Hopefully this will be addressed for 2021 model year.

It has always been hard to find a 2.0L Escape in inventory. Not sure what is going on there. The 3 cylinder never interested me. Hybrid, 2.0 with tow package, or nothing. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bravestar said:

The three-cylinder engine is fine, it is the lack of noise isolation, budget interior, and bland styling affecting Escape sales.  Hopefully a refresh is coming soon to address this.  

Maybe you are right because the new Chevy Trailblazer is a 3 cylinder, hard plastics/surfaces everywhere, and Chevy can't keep it in stock. Maybe sells well because it's Korean built and looks like a Kia.

2 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Counterpoint: perhaps they knew it was coming and softened incentives accordingly to try to steer people towards either BS or something else. 

The Edge currently has $5,000/$6,000 in rebates plus 0% for 60months, depending on market you can get an aged inventory FWD Titanium for around 30K plus tax. 

1 minute ago, FordBuyer said:

Maybe you are right because the new Chevy Trailblazer is a 3 cylinder, hard plastics/surfaces everywhere, and Chevy can't keep it in stock. Maybe sells well because it's Korean built and looks like a Kia.

It is also $5,000 - $10,000 cheaper than an Escape and competes in a completely different market position. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Im not talking about Edge...

I know, you were talking about Escape incentives, what I was saying was trying to say (apparently not well) is they pumped up the incentives on the Edge to convert those Escape buyers  over to an Edge while having their payment stay the same or just go up a few dollars. 

Edited by jasonj80
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, jasonj80 said:

It is also $5,000 - $10,000 cheaper than an Escape and competes in a completely different market position. 

You can find a 2020 Escape SE now for about $22,000 and I doubt if the mid trim Trailblazer is much cheaper. Big time incentives on 2020 Escape. And I believe the Escape is bigger. Sticker price doesn't mean much with $4,000-$6,000 incentives on Escape.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FordBuyer said:

You can find a 2020 Escape SE now for about $22,000 and I doubt if the mid trim Trailblazer is much cheaper. Big time incentives on 2020 Escape. And I believe the Escape is bigger. Sticker price doesn't mean much with $4,000-$6,000 incentives on Escape.

LT's are around 19K-20K, the real deal is that you can lease them for about $150 a month if you have a GM card. 

3 hours ago, bzcat said:

It may be normal for sales to fall off a year after a new model launch - the problem is Escape sales were significantly lower for the 2020 model compared to 2019. Some of the decline was Covid related, but if memory serves correct, Escape was down more than the competition. The Escape is in my opinion is a good value and offers a better driving experience than almost all of its competitors, but is far too bland. I don’t believe a refresh will help sales much - a new top hat is needed. Otherwise Ford will continue to have to sell them with big rebates and I can’t see how they will make any money selling them with 3K or more rebates. 

I think overall numbers look pretty good.  Nice to see Lincoln largely maintaining sales momentum.  Aviator sales down a bit, but if the plant is/was shut down that could have an impact.

Regarding Escape, which I know has been discussed - seems like there's a convergence of factors, including inventory issues/plant shutdowns with this microchip shortage, maybe poor product mix (buyers want more hybrids, don't have them?), and it's natural to figure Bronco Sport would have pull some sales from Escape too - can't expect 100% of BS buyers would've bought an Escape, but I'd imagine a good chunk of them may have if BS weren't there.

If you look at the segment, you have Escape + BS = 19,240, vs. 14,134 last year, so that's an increase of 5,106 units, and I'd imagine at higher pricepoints.

14 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

buyers want more hybrids, don't have them

Im looking at buying one instead of a Ranger now (thanks government for making oil prices go up ?) and they’re kinda hard to find, even around the Detroit area. If a dealer has more than one it's very rare, almost all of them SE Sports, no TI hybrids.