EVs and Their Drawbacks

On 2/23/2021 at 8:43 PM, slemke said:

From the article, -24F is the cutoff point, so -17F is no problem.  Efficiency probably drops some at those temps.  Main reason for stopping the at -24F was to prevent damage to the blades.

1 windmill.  You didn’t state how long they could charge.

Ice buildup===out of balance =====bearings gone to hell====destroyed

44 minutes ago, snooter said:

Ice buildup===out of balance =====bearings gone to hell====destroyed

Not ice buildup at those temps, but the blades themselves become brittle and can shatter.  But, yes blades out of balance isn’t good for the bearings either.  A shattered blade is going to create a substantial imbalance.

3 hours ago, paintguy said:

True enough. You could also drain the ocean with a teaspoon. But vehicles average about 12K miles per year. With everything in Texas being bigger, mileage probably tends higher as well. Material selection and deice systems could also affect operating temperature limit. All a matter of cost. For example: Light aircraft generally can't operate in icing conditions. Jets use deice fluid for takeoff and hot compressor bleed air inflight to prevent icing.  

Commercial jets don’t operate in freezing rain either.  There is only so much de icing can do.

The temperature limit I quoted was not due to icing.  But rather the properties of the blades themselves at those temps.

15 hours ago, CoolScoop said:

They can handle extreme cold... but not ice:

Apparently “extreme cold” is relative.  Growing up in MN and ND, I considered Iowa down south and warm.  Rochester, MN was warm to me.  -20F was where things started to get interesting, but real cold wasn’t until it hit 40 below or your alcohol based thermometer froze.  When my kids tell me it is cold, I threaten to send them to Fargo.

Yes, I want to see how an electric car performs when it is -40 or -50 below.  Take it to the point where it breaks in the name of science.

• Like 1