2021 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands vs. Jeep Compass Trailhawk

Motor Trend posted instrumented test results of its Bronco Sport Badlands today. 2021 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands First Test: Big Engine, Big Performance (motortrend.com)

• 0-60 mph: 6.5 s
  • 60 mph-0 braking: 123 ft
  • Skidpad: 0.76 g
  • Figure 8 lap: 28.4 s

"By the numbers, the Badlands is a mixed bag, quicker in a straight line but less capable in a corner. Street performance, as we've established, isn't the measure by which we should judge the Badlands, though. It's informative, but you know going in you're trading some on-road performance for a lot of off-road performance. When you consider how the Bronco Sport Badlands performs in both environments, it's clear to us Ford has struck a fantastic balance."

• Like 1

At one point I was very mildly interested in the renegade and decided to drive one. That 2.4L was one (of quite a few) of the reasons I passed. As everyone knows , 4 cyls typically don't come off as harmonically pleasing and that one basically takes all of that and amplifies it. Besides being a buzzy mess, it reminded me of a 4 cyl from the 80's where you constantly have your foot planted into it. Even with all the fancy nomenclature like "Tigershark" and "Multiair" and the fact that it is a relatively new engine- it was double disappointing.

5 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

They only sell for 2 reasons. Cheap leases and the Jeep name. My sister got one for that reason despite me being able to get her A-plan in a similarly equipped Escape. They beat that price very easily with no argument at all. 

Besides the wrangler, I think the compass is the best looking jeep in their lineup. With incentives it seems like you can get one for right around 20k. The low price and style probably attract a lot of buyers. 

• Like 2

On 2/9/2021 at 12:00 PM, rperez817 said:

Motor Trend posted instrumented test results of its Bronco Sport Badlands today. 2021 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands First Test: Big Engine, Big Performance (motortrend.com)

• 0-60 mph: 6.5 s
  • 60 mph-0 braking: 123 ft
  • Skidpad: 0.76 g
  • Figure 8 lap: 28.4 s

Car and Driver posted its instrumented test results for the 2021 Bronco Sport Badlands it tested. Observed real world fuel economy is relatively low, though not unexpected. Tested: 2021 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands Earns the Bronco Name (caranddriver.com)

• 0-60 mph: 5.9 s (omits 0.3 s, 1 ft rollout)
  • 1/4 mile: 14.5 s @ 93 mph
  • 70 mph-0 braking: 163 ft
  • Top speed: 125 mph
  • Observed fuel economy: 20 mpg
  • 75-mph highway driving fuel economy: 24 mpg

On ‎2‎/‎9‎/‎2021 at 7:48 AM, PREMiERdrum said:

"Commit to and own segments" has been the directive for a while now and as a whole their portfolio is as competitive as it's ever been. The market is too fragmented and the margins too thin for half-effort "placeholder" products. Escape is getting sorted in short order and there's a bit of fog around the planned Fusion / Edge / Nautilus, but otherwise the lineup is really, really well executed. 

what exactly is getting sorted for the Escape?....restyled front end?...because sincerely, its probably its only weakness….well, and them dragging their plug in feet...

27 minutes ago, akirby said:

Not bad but definitely not rugged.

I think Jeep likes to think that the Compass as a baby Grand Cherokee (though who knows). There's a lot of overlap in the smaller vehicles in Jeep's lineup that they need to figure out.  I imagine if the Bronco Sport takes off, you may end up seeing a mini-quasi-Wrangler or a much better off road version of what they have.

7 minutes ago, PREMiERdrum said:

Massaged front end, NVH improvements, and a few interior revisions (mainly materials). AFAIK. 

Chinese interior would be nice. A new front end, Chinese interior with better materials and I would definitely consider a new escape.

Edited by T-dubz
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, PREMiERdrum said:

Massaged front end, NVH improvements, and a few interior revisions (mainly materials). AFAIK. 

front end should be easy...just turn the damn grill upside down. Nvh I semi agree with but  the complaints were/ are overinflated...and any car can benefit from nicer interior materials....all makes sense...

1 hour ago, PREMiERdrum said:

Great to hear Ford may be addressing the most serious shortcomings of new Ford Escape relatively quickly.

Sounds like Ford's culture of mediocrity is melting away, and that Jim Hackett's "design thinking" has really taken root at the company.

38 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

Great to hear Ford may be addressing the most serious shortcomings of new Ford Escape relatively quickly.

Sounds like Ford's culture of mediocrity is melting away, and that Jim Hackett's "design thinking" has really taken root at the company.

Could also look at it the other way - "design thinking" wouldn't have put out that poor design in the first place.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rmc523 said:

Could also look at it the other way - "design thinking" wouldn't have put out that poor design in the first place.

Yes sir rmc523. Most likely this was due to timing. 4th gen Escape/Kuga design and development was pretty far along by the time Jim Hackett's philosophy started to spread through the various product teams at Ford.

Bronco Sport launched over a year after 2020 Escape/Kuga, as a result Bronco Sport benefited from more "design thinking".

20 hours ago, rperez817 said:

Car and Driver posted its instrumented test results for the 2021 Bronco Sport Badlands it tested. Observed real world fuel economy is relatively low, though not unexpected. Tested: 2021 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands Earns the Bronco Name (caranddriver.com)

• 0-60 mph: 5.9 s (omits 0.3 s, 1 ft rollout)
  • 1/4 mile: 14.5 s @ 93 mph
  • 70 mph-0 braking: 163 ft
  • Top speed: 125 mph
  • Observed fuel economy: 20 mpg
  • 75-mph highway driving fuel economy: 24 mpg

Observed fuel economy is low because they drive them like they stole them.  From what I’ve seen on the F150 forums, the powerboost is doing better than that.  Although some still manage to get 17mpg.