CR "Would You Buy This Car Again" rankings

Lincoln came in second, Ford right in the middle. Noted two things.

One, this quote: "Second place went to Lincoln, which interestingly had a higher cumulative score than Tesla in individual category measurements like comfort and storage space." Go to the CR link in the article and you'll see Lincoln, overall, scored better than Tesla in the individual satisfaction components, but lost out hugely in the bottom line ranking based solely on the question, "would you definitely buy this vehicle again." Actually, Ram and Chrysler{!) who came in third and fourth, respectively, also nudged out both Lincoln and Tesla in this way, but fell short on the one question that mattered to the survey. And on that one question, Tesla smoked out everyone (hard to beat them when they have the best-tasting Kool-Aid in the business). They got a score of 88, vs. 79 for Lincoln. The survey went all the way down to 49 for poor Infiniti.

Second, while Ford and Lincoln both use the Sync 3 and 4 systems for their in-car electronics, Ford scores 2 in that category vs. 3 for Lincoln. Remember, this is self-reporting, not a 3rd party assessment.

Genesis, which scored very high on this CR survey last year isn't included because the number of responses fell just short of the threshold for inclusion.

https://www.autoblog.com/2021/02/08/car-truck-owner-satisfaction-survey-consumer-reports/?fbclid=IwAR2OG89L_maTvlihngxqIf93SwrVuV6wT3kbcUt2GePlH_3POjI9sTeTVCA

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, akirby said:

Would you buy this vehicle again is a stupid question.

Not stupid at all. CR's Owner Satisfaction Survey based on whether owners say they would definitely buy the same car again if given the choice. That is a good measure of whether a particular car or light truck model has lived up to owner expectations.

3 hours ago, akirby said:

Would you buy this vehicle again is a stupid question.  I might be 100% satisfied with my current vehicle but just want something different.  Or maybe I no longer need a 3rd row.

Would you buy this BRAND again is a much better question. 

That's not how the question is framed. I'm a CR subscriber and I took this survey. 

The context is if you had a do-over, would you still buy this vehicle again given the hindsight of actual ownership experience. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, bzcat said:

That's not how the question is framed. I'm a CR subscriber and I took this survey. 

The context is if you had a do-over, would you still buy this vehicle again given the hindsight of actual ownership experience. 

Ok that’s a little better but it still ignores scenarios such as I wish we’d bought an Aviator instead of Nautilus so we have a 3rd row or I wish we’d gotten the Aviator instead of the Navigator so it would be easier to park.  Personal preferences that have nothing to do with the quality or desirability of the vehicle itself.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, akirby said:

Ok that’s a little better but it still ignores scenarios such as I wish we’d bought an Aviator instead of Nautilus so we have a 3rd row or I wish we’d gotten the Aviator instead of the Navigator so it would be easier to park.  Personal preferences that have nothing to do with the quality or desirability of the vehicle itself.

That's accounted for in the survey, which as mentioned before is a good measure of how a particular vehicle meets owners' expectations. 

Details on survey from CR.

Results are from the 2020 Annual Auto Surveys on 369,000 vehicles. Data from the 2018 to 2020 model years (plus a few 2021 models) were used, provided a vehicle wasn’t significantly changed over that time. Some ratings might be based on a single model year. The Would Buy Again score is based on the percentage of owners who responded “definitely yes” to the question of whether they would buy the same vehicle if they had it to do all over again (considering price, performance, reliability, comfort, enjoyment, etc.). Factor ratings were determined based on the percentage of owners who said they were “very satisfied.” Driving reflects acceleration and handling. Comfort includes seats, noise, and ride. Value determines whether owners felt they got what they wanted relative to the purchase price. In-car electronics refers to the ease of using the infotainment systems and Bluetooth. Cabin storage is storage spaces between seats, in cup holders and the dashboard, and other storage, not including trunk space.

6 hours ago, rperez817 said:

Source. Consumer Reports March 2021 issue, page 57.

image.thumb.png.c39b787ee99ee8d68b4a56aef15742be.png

It's amazing that almost every car's value is perceived to be less than average or poor. The three highest scoring brands squeaked out "average". This is that even with the quantum leap in cars in terms of safety,  performance, and refinement, most people feel the product isn't really worth the money.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, rperez817 said:

That's accounted for in the survey, which as mentioned before is a good measure of how a particular vehicle meets owners' expectations. 

Details on survey from CR.

Results are from the 2020 Annual Auto Surveys on 369,000 vehicles. Data from the 2018 to 2020 model years (plus a few 2021 models) were used, provided a vehicle wasn’t significantly changed over that time. Some ratings might be based on a single model year. The Would Buy Again score is based on the percentage of owners who responded “definitely yes” to the question of whether they would buy the same vehicle if they had it to do all over again (considering price, performance, reliability, comfort, enjoyment, etc.). Factor ratings were determined based on the percentage of owners who said they were “very satisfied.” Driving reflects acceleration and handling. Comfort includes seats, noise, and ride. Value determines whether owners felt they got what they wanted relative to the purchase price. In-car electronics refers to the ease of using the infotainment systems and Bluetooth. Cabin storage is storage spaces between seats, in cup holders and the dashboard, and other storage, not including trunk space.

What exactly does same vehicle mean?  All the same options?  Can I choose a different color?  Drivetrain?  

if given a do over, I would go for the Aviator GT instead of reserve.  Is that close enough for would buy again?

My old Rx-8 on the other hand, no way.

I’d buy my Flex again. Best car I’ve ever owned. 
Wouldn’t buy my Edge again. Early production new model, lots of issues, some never fixed. (Unfortunately Escape was dead, so I would wait for a 2016 model either - I’d be driving a Colorado or Wrangler - wasn’t considering an Edge but had one as a rental since the Escape was dead)

I should know better than buying a first year MME, but here I am with one on order. ;)

Edited by sullynd
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, sullynd said:

I’d buy my Flex again. Best car I’ve ever owned. 

You are in good company sullynd sir. In CR's 2011 Automotive Owner Satisfaction Survey, 87% of Ford Flex AWD owners answered "definitely yes" to the question "Considering all factors (price, performance, reliability, comfort, enjoyment) would you get this car if you had to do it all again? 

This was the highest score for any mainstream brand crossover vehicle, and among the highest among all models in the survey. I'm pretty sure Ford Flex maintained high owner satisfaction ratings every year it was eligible in CR's survey.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, slemke said:

What exactly does same vehicle mean?  All the same options?  Can I choose a different color?  Drivetrain?  

Same model, could have different options and color. CR used to separate models by drivetrain in the survey (for example, Ford Flex AWD would be tabulated separately from Ford Flex FWD), but they no longer do that which means you can choose a different drivetrain too.

3 hours ago, sullynd said:

Yeah, we’re very tempted to keep our when we get the Mach-E, it’s got over 130k on it so they’ll probably offer us like $1k for it anyway. 

I love my Flex.  I'm going to be sad to see it go when my Bronco comes in.  My attachment to it wants me to keep it, even though I know I should get rid of it.

• Like 1

We've got our Flex for sale now. :(  The wife wanted something smaller, so we brought home a new 2020 Escape last month.  The oldest daughter will be getting the '14 Escape (buying it from us at a reduced price) and the next in line to drive will be getting the Milan.  After 128k miles, our Flex has been one of our best vehicles ever! We love it, we just don't have a need for it anymore, so it needs to go.  Sadly, the only interest I've gotten is from scammers.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

48 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

I love my Flex.  I'm going to be sad to see it go when my Bronco comes in.  My attachment to it wants me to keep it, even though I know I should get rid of it.

Yeah, my sons only 12, if he were closer to driving age it’d be a slam dunk to keep it. We’ll definitely keep it at first, but if we don’t use it we’ll get rid of it. We could use the size as the Edge and Mach-E are smaller than we occasionally need, and having two ICE is nice, until we’re more comfortable with range on the Mach. 

55 minutes ago, sullynd said:

Yeah, my sons only 12, if he were closer to driving age it’d be a slam dunk to keep it. We’ll definitely keep it at first, but if we don’t use it we’ll get rid of it. We could use the size as the Edge and Mach-E are smaller than we occasionally need, and having two ICE is nice, until we’re more comfortable with range on the Mach. 

Yeah, I kept it when I got my Mustang to have the bigger vehicle still, but getting Bronco is a happy middle ground between the two (the current plan is to swap both for Bronco).

Gotta work on some math to figure out the best route to take with the Flex.  I know they're not going to offer much trade in value at the dealer.....Carmax offered $3,500 a couple months ago.  Could try to sell it privately but have to figure out if the extra amounts will make it worth going one of those routes tax wise.

On 2/9/2021 at 2:22 PM, akirby said:

So you are saying Infiniti/Nissan have a chance than:)  You are splitting hairs and I think damn near most of the respondents understand the context of the question and want to pass along accurate information respectively. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, kyle said:

You are splitting hairs and I think damn near most of the respondents understand the context of the question and want to pass along accurate information respectively. 

I may be splitting hairs but it's a completely fair criticism of the way the question was worded.   If I bought a Nautilus and was 100% satisfied with it but decided an Aviator with 3 rows would have been a better choice in hindsight, I would have to say No I would not buy this vehicle again.   Which is not the intent of the question.   I'm just saying it could have been worded differently to get a more accurate response.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, akirby said:

I may be splitting hairs but it's a completely fair criticism of the way the question was worded.   If I bought a Nautilus and was 100% satisfied with it but decided an Aviator with 3 rows would have been a better choice in hindsight, I would have to say No I would not buy this vehicle again.   Which is not the intent of the question.   I'm just saying it could have been worded differently to get a more accurate response.

bzcat took the CR survey, maybe he can share the exact verbiage used if it's something he remembers?

I don't have the survey anymore. They sent me an email and I filled it out online. 

But it's very clear that they were asking me to evaluate my purchase decision on my Audi SQ5 based on the criteria at the time of purchase. All the questions on purchase intent were in the context at the time of original purchase. Given what you know now, would you have made a different decision back then. They were not asking if you will make a different decision now. Very standard methodology on these type of surveys.

It also took a while to fill it out so those Infiniti owners must be really upset at their car ?

Edited by bzcat
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1