General Motors Q4 2020 earnings release

rperez817

5 hours ago, tbone said:

Is this the same 8 speed transmission you are talking about?

General Motors has announced a new Customer Satisfaction Program for certain examples of the 2021 model year Chevy Silverado 1500 and GMC Sierra1500 to replace the eight-speed automatic transmissions in the vehicles.”

https://gmauthority.com/blog/2021/03/gm-to-replace-eight-speed-transmissions-in-some-2021-chevy-silverado-gmc-sierra-units/amp/

The GM 8 speed trans is the 8L90 and is built by GM, the ZF 8HP is not related to it in any way.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, akirby said:

Why are they using 6, 8 and 10 speed trannys?  I thought they switched to the new 10 speed like Ford?

If I remember correctly, the newer transmissions were developed as a joint development project between GM and Ford with each finalizing their own version to their individual products. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, ice-capades said:

If I remember correctly, the newer transmissions were developed as a joint development project between GM and Ford with each finalizing their own version to their individual products. 

But are the 6 and 8 speed the same design as the 10 speed or just older models still in use?

I don’t quite understand why you wouldn’t just use the 10 speed on all models.

12 minutes ago, akirby said:

But are the 6 and 8 speed the same design as the 10 speed or just older models still in use?

I don’t quite understand why you wouldn’t just use the 10 speed on all models.

Well, in the case of Ford, they use the 10 speed in F150 and Super Duty, but when you get into Medium Duty, they still use the 6 speed, assuming that there is a diminishing value to move up to the 10 speed in Medium Duty.

28 minutes ago, twintornados said:

Well, in the case of Ford, they use the 10 speed in F150 and Super Duty, but when you get into Medium Duty, they still use the 6 speed, assuming that there is a diminishing value to move up to the 10 speed in Medium Duty.

I believe GM uses a combo of the 6,8, and 10 on just the 1500 alone.

• Like 2

On 3/13/2021 at 3:36 AM, jpd80 said:

The GM 6 and 8 speed autos share no parts with the 10 speed. GM economising with existing 8 speed as a base model.

Why not just standardize on one transmission? Wouldn't that be cheaper overall at the levels of trucks they are making?!

On 3/15/2021 at 3:32 PM, Harley Lover said:

Manufacturing capacity? 

Yes sir Harley Lover, it appears to be a capacity issue. GM announced in February that it was expanding its plant in Toledo, Ohio that makes those transmissions. GM Investing $75 Million in Toledo Transmission Plant | 2021-02-09 | ASSEMBLY (assemblymag.com)

Edited by rperez817