Maverick prototype reveals IRS

17 hours ago, bzcat said:

I posted about this in a different thread last year. But good to know Autoblog finally caught on. ?

This is confirmation that FWD and AWD Maverick will have different rear suspension. 

MaverickAWD.d09.KGP_.jpg

Or does this mean that the earlier mules were not using the final suspension setup? Would be odd to use two different configurations for the same vehicle, especially for a lower cost one?

1 hour ago, valve said:

Or does this mean that the earlier mules were not using the final suspension setup? Would be odd to use two different configurations for the same vehicle, especially for a lower cost one?

Probably keeping the cost down on the FWD version.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, valve said:

It's very common for FWD cars on the same platform to have different rear suspension. The high performance or luxury version tends to feature IRS for better ride and handling while entry level versions have twist beam or some other type of semi-IRS. VW for example have used IRS on Golf while using twist beam on Jetta for years. Ford too has been doing the same - the lower end Focus has twist beam while Vignale and ST use IRS. Transit Connect, which is a lower cost Focus van also uses twist beam but C-Max, which is higher cost Focus van had IRS.

Edited by bzcat

15 hours ago, bzcat said:

It's very common for FWD cars on the same platform to have different rear suspension. The high performance or luxury version tends to feature IRS for better ride and handling while entry level versions have twist beam or some other type of semi-IRS. VW for example have used IRS on Golf while using twist beam on Jetta for years. Ford too has been doing the same - the lower end Focus has twist beam while Vignale and ST use IRS. Transit Connect, which is a lower cost Focus van also uses twist beam but C-Max, which is higher cost Focus van had IRS.

Both VW and Ford use the twist beam on their lower hp engines in their Golf & Foci variants. The only Focus that escapes this is the wagon variant, and Active spec'd.  Not sure about the Jetta as it is a car that is more rare to see then a Aston Martin DB9

Edited by MKII
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, wildosvt said:

Any word on when they will show Maverick off officially? Call me crazy, But I find this thing very interesting.

I’d venture to guess before the summer is over at the latest. Seems like it’s just about ready to go. I know a lot of people want a “cheap” pickup and hopefully this will fit the bill for them. 

• 2 weeks later...

Rendering https://www.motor1.com/news/490981/2022-ford-maverick-exclusive-renderings/

2022-ford-maverick-unofficial-rendering.

Also speculation on price: https://fordauthority.com/2021/02/2022-ford-maverick-to-start-at-under-20k-exclusive/

Article mentions Ford may use a non-EcoBoost base engine to keep prices low... I guess either 2.0 or 2.5 could work. 

These timed drip of information from Ford PR tells us the official release of the truck must be getting close. 

Edited by bzcat
  • Like 3

28 minutes ago, probowler said:

I have a hard time believing that! (Believe it when I see it)But I hope it is, that is a great size for a truck ?

The Supercab Ranger is pretty big for what it is.

The Short bed Ranger with the standard cab is alot shorter. 

17 hours ago, probowler said:

Hard to tell, but it almost looks like a 90s sized F150.

Really? Come on... The 10th gen F-150 crew cab with the short 5'5 bed was 222" long. Maverick will be nearly 2 ft shorter. Don't be silly. 

1024px-Ford_F-150_King_Ranch.jpg

1 hour ago, sullynd said:

Looks like they started with a sporttrac to me. 

1st gen Sporttrac was 206" long and 2nd gen was 210"... that's the same size as Ranger and much longer than Maverick will be I think. 

LWB Transit Connect is 190" and Fusion is 192" long. Ranger crew cab is 211" long.

Remember Maverick is supposed to replace Focus and Fusion sedan... so I think Ford will keep it around 195~200".

Another data point: Fiat Toro is 194"... 

Edited by bzcat
  • Like 1