Maverick prototype reveals IRS

3 hours ago, HotRunrGuy said:

And yet the 2.0 BS is only rated at 2200# with the Tow package,,,

HRG

BS towing.JPG

Different vehicles for different applications. Bronco Sport has short wheelbase with high center of gravity which is not a good idea for towing so safety is a consideration. And Ford fitted a different AWD system that has torque vectoring to it vs. Escape's more simple AWD setup, so there is probably a valid concern for durability if it is used for frequent towing.

Maverick will likely stick very closely to Escape's setup so I think 3,500 lbs tow rating is pretty much a sure bet because that is what Escape is rated for. And my guess is Ford will offer a tow package (because it is a truck after all) with beefed up transmission cooler and a few other bits so I guessed another 1,000 lbs. But the caveat here is that it will probably require 2.0 Ecoboost and not the standard 1.5 Ecoboost engine.

And for context and comparison, Explorer with 2.3 Ecoboost has 5,300 lb standard tow capacity. It's bigger, morepower, RWD, and has more robust 10 speed auto. Not unreasonable to think Maverick with tow package will land between Escape and Explorer for tow rating, especially if Maverick has a lower curb weight vs. Escape (entirely possible... it's missing 2 rear quarter window glass, heavy hatchback, 1/3 of the roof, and all that carpeting and sound deadening materials in the back.)

And of course the last word on this is going to be Ranger... Ford doesn't need to make Maverick a super tow machine. If you need to tow 4,000 lbs on regular basis, you probably should buy the Ranger rather than Maverick. But if you only tow a utility tray to the dump occasionally... sure Maverick with 3,500 lbs standard tow rating is plenty for the job. 

Edited by bzcat
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, bzcat said:

Different vehicles for different applications. Bronco Sport has short wheelbase with high center of gravity which is not a good idea for towing so safety is a consideration. And Ford fitted a different AWD system that has torque vectoring to it vs. Escape's more simple AWD setup, so there is probably a valid concern for durability if it is used for frequent towing.

Maverick will likely stick very closely to Escape's setup so I think 3,500 lbs tow rating is pretty much a sure bet because that is what Escape is rated for. And my guess is Ford will offer a tow package (because it is a truck after all) with beefed up transmission cooler and a few other bits so I guessed another 1,000 lbs. But the caveat here is that it will probably require 2.0 Ecoboost and not the standard 1.5 Ecoboost engine.

And for context and comparison, Explorer with 2.3 Ecoboost has 5,300 lb standard tow capacity. It's bigger, morepower, RWD, and has more robust 10 speed auto. Not unreasonable to think Maverick with tow package will land between Escape and Explorer for tow rating, especially if Maverick has a lower curb weight vs. Escape (entirely possible... it's missing 2 rear quarter window glass, heavy hatchback, 1/3 of the roof, and all that carpeting and sound deadening materials in the back.)

And of course the last word on this is going to be Ranger... Ford doesn't need to make Maverick a super tow machine. If you need to tow 4,000 lbs on regular basis, you probably should buy the Ranger rather than Maverick. But if you only tow a utility tray to the dump occasionally... sure Maverick with 3,500 lbs standard tow rating is plenty for the job. 

I could see it at 3,500 standard, and 4,000 with a tow package, leaving plenty of room for Ranger.

• Like 1

On 3/10/2021 at 4:19 AM, Rodrigo said:

anda mal aquí, en Uruguay el Transit se va a fabricar con un tercero (Nordex), y la conexión de tránsito se va a construir en México (según Auto News)

On 3/10/2021 at 4:19 AM, Rodrigo said:

algo anda mal aquí, en Uruguay el Transit se va a fabricar con un tercero (Nordex), y la conexión de tránsito se va a construir en México (según Auto News)

https://autoblog.com.ar/2020/09/29/la-ford-transit-ahora-tambien-se-producira-en-uruguay/

Yes, sorry for mistake, Transit CKD is being built in Uraguay not Transit Connect.

• Like 1

Edit: I will create a new thread for next gen Transit Connect

I predicted last year in the previous Maverick thread that Ford is going to make a panel van version of Maverick to replace Transit Connect. And this is why Ford Europe will instead source its Transit Connect from VW because the US project will end up creating a slightly longer van than what the European market wants (they want taller not longer).

And looks like I'm right... The new Transit Connect code is V758 which if you are still paying attention is the same number code as Maverick - P758. So we have now gone full circle on this. Maverick, which started off as the pickup version of the C2 Transit Connect. But when the requirements for next gen Transit Connect van and pickup was locked in by Ford US, it diverged from what Ford Europe wanted so only P758 went ahead while Transit Connect was put on review and it was ultimately cancelled in favor of rebadged VW Caddy. But now, Ford US has revived Transit Connect as a panel van version of Maverick, instead of Maverick as a pickup version of Transit Connect.

https://fordauthority.com/2021/03/ford-planning-next-gen-transit-connect-to-be-built-at-hermosillo-plant/

Edited by bzcat
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Rodrigo said:

The Bronco's where the last Ford products designed without electrification at the launch. I'm sure that will change with the Warthog next Spring and the Bronco Sport might wait til its MCE or when it gets switched to a BEV in about 8-9 years. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

The Bronco's where the last Ford products designed without electrification at the launch. I'm sure that will change with the Warthog next Spring and the Bronco Sport might wait til its MCE or when it gets switched to a BEV in about 8-9 years. 

There is a cool tidbit I heard about NG Ranger the other day and I'm excited about it 

• Like 1