2021 f150 battery drain

1 hour ago, blwnsmoke said:

2020 Explorers had the same issue.  Batteries drain over a few days, goes to deep sleep mode and can't start them unless jump started.

https://amp.freep.com/amp/6753464002

Sounds like some features aren’t going into a low enough power state to preserve the battery if not driven for an extended period of time.  But, it could be faulty batteries.  The new trucks (and explorer) come with agm batteries.  Full charge is a higher voltage than regular flooded lead acid.  It may look fully charged, but isn’t and drops quickly.  

Had to have the aviator’s battery replaced as it drained quickly and went into deep sleep.  It would still start, though.  It would charge up to the full voltage, but just would not stay there.  Would not surprise me if there is a manufacturing issue with the batteries, or the trucks having issues sat for a month on a lot somewhere before being delivered to the dealer.  The battery may have had some sulfide build up.  A charge would bring it back up to full voltage, but it likely won’t stay there.  The power savings changes could be to help prevent the discharge of the battery to a state that allows the sulfide to accumulate when it sits for a longer period of time.

I know one of the common tricks for 12th Gen F-150s was to unplug the "smart charging" sensor on the positive lead of the battery (or maybe it's the one on the negative lead; it's not one of those things I've needed to know since I did it, but it's important that you not unplug the wrong one). When that sensor is working, the computer reduces the current that it sends to the battery for charging, the theory being that it sends just enough to keep the battery charged.

In practice, a lot of us found that unplugging the sensor, which disables the "smart" charging, eliminated coming out to a dead battery if we hadn't driven our trucks for a few days. 

38 minutes ago, theoldwizard1 said:

They are making this out to be a difficult problem to solve !  I don't understand why ?  A couple of days with a shunt and a recording meter should be able to isolated the problem.

Sounds like it's already solved.

"A population of vehicles built before we began shipping to dealers require a software update to prevent batteries from losing their charge," said Ford spokesman Said Deep told the Free Press. "Our dealers were notified last week and customer letters will go out next week as part of a customer satisfaction program for this matter."

Ford F-150 owners experiencing a battery charge problem should go to the dealership for a software update, Deep said.

• Like 1

This is why i don't buy new vehicles.  I buy used 5 to 8 yr. old vehicles and drive them for 300,000  plus miles for another 5 to 10 years.  My property taxes and insurance are virtually nothing and any repairs, which for me are almost non-existent are cheaper and easier. As long as the oil and coolant levels are full, I'm golden.  I've rarely done oil changes.  My only significant repairs have been a heater blower motor and water pump on my 74 Lincoln Mark IV which I no longer have, and an alternator on my 2005 Taurus, which took me a whopping 30 minutes! In between I had an 85 LTD wagon.  Back in 1968, I drove my father's 1954 Ford Crestline with 350,000 miles on it to the junkyard.  What a mistake that was.  I'm 70 years old. On a side note,  I get 120,000 or more miles on a set of brakes because I don't run right up to a red light.  I'll back off the gas, lightly tap the brakes and after about 5  to 8 seconds, I will get a green light.  That's how loop sensor activated traffic signals work. Also, It's more economical to bring a 2-ton vehicle up to speed from a slow roll, rather than a dead stop.  That's ONE reason why with my Taurus I don't just get 24 MPG like Ford says I should get, I get about 30 MPG. That's right; I still have the Taurus!!! Here's a tip for you: Do you have a ceiling fan with 5 light bulbs? Take 4 out and you'll still have plenty of light!  If you want, put a slightly higher wattage bulb in but I don''t think you'll have to; I didn't.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, blwnsmoke said:

2020 Explorers had the same issue.  Batteries drain over a few days, goes to deep sleep mode and can't start them unless jump started.

https://amp.freep.com/amp/6753464002

This was happening as late as August in the Explorer.  Shipping yards were not able to release the vehicles.  It’s a major pain when it happens to a hybrid too.  

More proof that technology has reached the point where it’s just making life harder.  

I believe I just read about the 2021 Honda CRV having a similar issue with its battery. When I had my Subaru Crosstrek, I needed a new battery every other oil change as it failed their test. So far no problems with my Escape hybrid after 10 months. Just went in for The Works and passed battery test.

22 hours ago, Joe771476 said:

This is why i don't buy new vehicles.  I buy used 5 to 8 yr. old vehicles and drive them for 300,000  plus miles for another 5 to 10 years.  My property taxes and insurance are virtually nothing and any repairs, which for me are almost non-existent are cheaper and easier. As long as the oil and coolant levels are full, I'm golden.  I've rarely done oil changes.  

WOW !  No oil changes ?  Hopefully an occasional filter change !

Many parts of the country have strict annual inspection laws.  In combination with road salt for snow and ice, few vehicles last longer than 10 years.

• Like 1